Superchip? :dunno: :help: NEED ADVICE PLEASE! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Superchip? :dunno: :help: NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
ncbe4chbum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Superchip? :dunno: :help: NEED ADVICE PLEASE!

I have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited with a 2.5in Teraflex BB and 35in BF Mudterrains. I have been looking at purchasing a superchip but need advice. how much of a difference is there between the vivid paqs and flashpaqs? Would i need anything else (like a CAI or exhaust) if i bought the vivid paq? How much of a difference do these products really make? Is the extra money for the vivid paq actually worth it? Advice would be much appreciated, also one last question. Would a superchip void my jeep warranty.

ncbe4chbum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
jrmandryck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Superchips does tire pressure changes, axle ratio changes, tire size changes (speedo recalibration), it also gives you a little more get up and go (not sure if it is an actually HP gain or just an increase in throttle response), if you have an automatic it will make a huge difference. also gets you a few MPG's- This is based on my superchips 3875 on my 2008 JK

The warranty thing is touchy, just to be safe I would return it to stock and unmarry it before bringing it in for any work
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #3
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Superchips all the way. It is literally a night and day difference. No more throttle lag and the jeep shifts sooooo much better. DO IT!!!
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #4
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary". I returned mine as it made absolutely no difference with my rig. Mist people give the units outstanding praise, but there are a few of us who found no change in feel, mpg, or response. Every rig will be different.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
As the saying goes, "your mileage may vary". I returned mine as it made absolutely no difference with my rig. Mist people give the units outstanding praise, but there are a few of us who found no change in feel, mpg, or response. Every rig will be different.
Do you have an automatic? It seems like the common concensus is that if you don't have an automatic then don't waste your money.
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
tskeen
2012 JK Wrangler 

Seems like Jeep could make bank on offering tuning device to change the way the JK shifts. Several companies do. Even Porsche has done this. As wonderful as their PDK transmition is....without the optional " sport chrno pkg plus" ($1600) the Porsche shifts like a 1973 Buick when left in automatic mode. It's just a different map that changes by pushing a button. The manual Porsche guys all preach not to spend the extra coin...of course they control everything about "shifting" so money down the drain in their mind...the auto guys on the other hand know what a difference it makes. It completely changes the car...make it feel fun and ready. Throttle response and the crisper shifts
2012 Sport..auto 3.73 limited slip.Poison Spider Rocker Knockers, Daniel Stern lighting..AEV Pintlers GoodYear Duratracs 285-70-17 springs from Unlimited Rubicon. Weathertech Mats..AEV hood, kicker speakers, remote start added.
tskeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM1N1 View Post
Do you have an automatic? It seems like the common concensus is that if you don't have an automatic then don't waste your money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskeen View Post
Seems like Jeep could make bank on offering tuning device to change the way the JK shifts. Several companies do. Even Porsche has done this. As wonderful as their PDK transmition is....without the optional " sport chrno pkg plus" ($1600) the Porsche shifts like a 1973 Buick when left in automatic mode. It's just a different map that changes by pushing a button. The manual Porsche guys all preach not to spend the extra coin...of course they control everything about "shifting" so money down the drain in their mind...the auto guys on the other hand know what a difference it makes. It completely changes the car...make it feel fun and ready. Throttle response and the crisper shifts
I have an automatic, and it did nothing. I did notice the mpg computer stated I was making 24mpg though. This is, of course, absolute bunk. I made four trips across the same stretch of highway using cruise and trying my darndest to keep everything the same and felt not power difference, shifting changes, and fuel mileage was calculated (filled at the end of each leg) to be exactly the same prior to install. I ensured I had the updates, removed, and reinstalled the program and repeated the test, same results. I am not saying they don't do anything, just that not everyone results are the same and my results are not unique. There are mire than a few others out there that had the same experience as myself. I returned the programmer (thank you superchips) and used half of that money for an AEV procal which does everything it claims ( I really only wanted to change gear ratios, tire size, and so forth. It is a handy piece though with many useable features).
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #8
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

On my 2007 auto it improved the throttle response and that is about all. May have been minor performance improvement but nothing on the MPG.
I always reset to stock if I'm taking it to the dealer since the dealer may update the electronics with the latest patches and this could lock the tuner. I think SuperChips charge $100 to reset it. Better safe than sorry.
Superchips website says 21HP gain if you go to the performance tune. means switching to 91 octane fuel. Am going to try it when I fill up next week. Will let you know if it makes any difference.
Unread 03-30-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
GL08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
I have an automatic, and it did nothing. I did notice the mpg computer stated I was making 24mpg though. This is, of course, absolute bunk. I made four trips across the same stretch of highway using cruise and trying my darndest to keep everything the same and felt not power difference, shifting changes, and fuel mileage was calculated (filled at the end of each leg) to be exactly the same prior to install. I ensured I had the updates, removed, and reinstalled the program and repeated the test, same results. I am not saying they don't do anything, just that not everyone results are the same and my results are not unique. There are mire than a few others out there that had the same experience as myself. I returned the programmer (thank you superchips) and used half of that money for an AEV procal which does everything it claims ( I really only wanted to change gear ratios, tire size, and so forth. It is a handy piece though with many useable features).
Same thing here. I have a 2008 rubicon automatic and the superchip did nothing for me also except turn off my tpms light and change tire size to correct speedometer. Ended up being a waste of money after months and months of messing with it to get no performance gains at all. And yes it was updated...
GL08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
advice , jk , superchip

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.