Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Supercharged JK 2010

3K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  RIPPMODS 
#1 ·
So, I go to trade in my TJ tonight for a 2010 JK so I can start over with my mods when low and behold, there was a 2010 with 3,000 miles on it, 4" lift, 35's and so on and so forth. Everything I was planning on doing myself. One exception - when I asked why there was no warranty (marked on the sticker "as-is") the sales guy pops the hood and bingo - supercharger (cant remember the make). I'm gonna do some more searches for supercharges here on the JK forum but wanted to see if anyone here has had any significant issue's with SC's on the new V-6. I am a long time TJ owner (I-6 tried and true) and would never even normally consider a SC on a jeep but this thing screams and I can get it for about 26K (i know it sounds to good but thats the gods honest truth. My TJ plus 10K is the deal). The build sheet on this thing is 40K. OF course I'm gonna take it to a 4WD custom shop where I know some guys who can tell me if its a hack job or not. Would anyone else go for this on a JK?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Ripp is the only jk super charger company I hear much about with the jk.6" lift for a jk sounds like more than needed, I'm not the most jk knowledgeable, but I don't think you need nearly that much lift for 35's. It could be terrible and it could be awesome, try to find out what else it has in it, if its been beat up or not, and search Ripp super chargers for jks and see what comes up. You could also wait for the pentastar v6 that I think is going to be in jk's in 2012. One last thing is i don't really know why you would go from a tj to a jk ;)

One thing to remember is that mods don't add much to value ( if any in a lot of cases ). I'm not really up on jk prices but 26k sounds pretty good but seems like you might be able to get them down a little on price.

#5 ·
I think Hesco made a supercharger for the JK for a while and there is also Avenger, if I am not mistaken...but I believe RIPP has the best reputation and this point...or at least they have the most visibility on the boards...

#7 ·
I would have them check the engine to make sure the SC has done no damage and also check the suspension to see if the high lift has all the parts needed on it - and that is a lot...my major concern would be it it was an off road beater....or an on road dragster.

#10 ·
Absolutely Yes!

I am in the process of researching putting a SC on my 07 JK. It run's 4' long travel with 35' tires and 5:13 gears. Gas milage sucks at best and it is reprogramed with a superchip programer. The programmer makes a noticeable difference.

Like I said and am looking at a SC, and yes all three brands that are previously mentioned do have them for the 3.8L JK motor. If you goto Xtreme 4x4 - Episodes | PowerblockTV
this is a 2 part episode and needs a third. But they installed the RIPP SC, that is the one that I am leaning towards, not sure why but just am. I have found several people running the RIPP for a couple of years know with no complaints. And if the thing has problems you just change back to the original Belt and bypass the SC and your back in business, just minus the horse power.

As you mentioned as long as it's not a hack job, and you like the lift system installed, ie. brand, Done Deal! My opinion. Just wonder why such a great deal? that would be my first question.

Best of luck to you.

#16 ·
Thats our GEN1 System, we sold 400 of those - its runs our piggy back Black Box and two supplemental injectors. There are clients who have driven that system 70k miles now - We introduced the GEN2 in September of this year and we've sold 125 kits - The GEN2 is a full overhaul and evolution of the GEN1, the major difference being the electronics and the addition of a front mounted intercooler (WHICH you can add to your GEN1)

GEN1 is a sound kit that will give you plenty of power when you need it - with the GEN2 electronics you gain the matched shift points, better throttle response and reworked cruise control mapping. Also with GEN2 there is no risk of running into engine safety over rides - which could still be triggered (very seldom) in the GEN1 configuration. Lastly we have a world of qualified shops that install and understand our approach and technology, we/they will be glad to help...

Nice looking rig
RIPPTECH

OHH :OffTopic: We have both a TJ and JK, we like each of them for different reasons :thumbsup: but the JK is a great evolution of the older TJ... especially on the highway or as a daily driver (let the argument begin:shhh:)

#17 ·
If it were me, I would get it. I'm 100% planning on going the RIPP supercharger route once I am at that stage of my build (2 more years or so according to my long term budget). I haven't heard a single bad thing about them or their quality, they are very active on at least 2 JK forums, and everyone says their customer service is top notch.

#19 ·
I decided not to get it - Already spent $ on lockers for my TJ today to put it out of my mind.:rolleyes:..just cant get past the voided warranty and the amount of noise the damn thing kicks out at low speeds. Sounds like a JK soft top going down the interstate at 70MPH. If i didn't need it for a daily driver I would have bought it. The jeep is at Delray Jeep in Delray florida if anyone is interested.

#26 ·
there's no antenna, maybe you get a few bucks for that, I'd jump on that like a $2 ho

#31 ·
The warranty on the entire JK isn't voided and you should also check to see if the dealer shows it as voided for the engine.

But then again, you have to wonder why someone traded it so early. Could have been a repo.

#32 ·
We agree -check it out

The sad silly thing is, thats a GEN1 kit with the supplemental injectors, there are no fuel or ECU mods -If you take the belt off the supercharger its 100% stock with the exception of carrying the hardware. Our electronics only triggered when boost was present.

What if the dealer gave us a call and we sent them some install instructions and an electronics bypass plug. Maybe they could leave the kit in the trunk as an accessory.. :shhh:

RIPPTECH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.