Suggested lift for 2012 JK Unlimited daily driver? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Suggested lift for 2012 JK Unlimited daily driver?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 05-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
mattyc1210
2012 JK Wrangler 

Suggested lift for 2012 JK Unlimited daily driver?

Hi all,

This is my first post although I routinely visit and read other posts. I work all of CT and NY and put about 25k-30k miles/year on my Jeep. I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport S with 22k miles on it.

It's the 4th Wrangler I've owned, but I'd like to make the stance of the Jeep a little more solid with a 2-2.5" lift. I think the 2 doors look fine on stock suspension, but my opinion is the 4 door could use a little lift to accompany the longer body.

Any way, I'll probably keep the stock 17" rim and tires (at least until the tires are worn). I'm not going to routinely go off-road, so my biggest concern is getting a setup that will be comfortable because I drive so much. Also, I'm far from being mechanically inclined, so if there is anything else other than the lift I should be aware of I'd appreciate a head up.

Thanks!

mattyc1210 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
maniacal_rick
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just go with leveling spacers. You will maintain the stock suspension geometry, and it will improve the look of your rig. Don't forget your tires will look smaller when you lift the jeep...so keep that in mind. You might not like the look after you lift it with stock tires.
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

fore warning, those stock wheels and tires are going to look really small with a lift. i personally would look into a leveling kit, and maybe something to make the stance wider. as for a 2.5" lift. i'm a fan of RK's max travel due to the adjustable lower control arms. i DD this, but with 37's.others will chime in with other brands. just stay away from "crappy" low quality lifts and youll enjoy it
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
just stay away from "crappy" low quality lifts
So which ones are those?
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
roughandtangle
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a 2013 JKU sport s with the teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I ended up doing front and rear track bars to center the axle (they were off by about 3/4 of and inch in the front and just under 1" in the rear) due to the lift. The guys at my local 4x4 shop said that it wouldnt be a big deal but I am a stickler for those types of things. I had my lift on for 1 week before my wheels and tires arrived and I did not like the look with the lift and stock wheels and tires. I personally would not recommend going that route. I would recommend waiting until you can get it all at once or looking into a leveling kit and going up to 33's later. Also with 2.5" of lift you should be looking around 35X12.5 which would kill your gas mileage. Definitely something to think about. Just my 2cents.
Unread 05-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I just installed a rancho 3'' sport lift. With the purchase of the lift and 4 shocks, you get a 300 dollar refund. Rides and handles as good as stock.
Here are 3 pics, one stock, one with the stock fenders and stock tires and one with new tires and flat fenders.
I gained 4'' in the front and 3 in the rear. Took the rake out and site level. hard to tell on the sloped driveway. Mileage is about the same. so win win....
img_2012.jpg   img_2014.jpg   img_2037.jpg  
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

If there is no plan to go bigger tires do not bother to lift. The only reason one lifts is to fit bigger tires. If you want a beefier stance try this instead.

No lift with 33x12.50x16 BFG on ProComp 7169 wheels with 4.5" backspace.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #8
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto View Post
if there is no plan to go bigger tires do not bother to lift. The only reason one lifts is to fit bigger tires. If you want a beefier stance try this instead.

No lift with 33x12.50x16 bfg on procomp 7169 wheels with 4.5" backspace.
+1
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #9
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

I ran the Teraflex leveling kit with 1.5" Spidertrax on stock wheels and the BFG KMs for a couple weeks before I cut the fenders and installed my 35s. I liked the setup but I did have the Rubi 32s. I agree with the above and would just do rims or spacers and 33s with as much as you drive but if you absolutely want to lift it, def keep it small.
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2012 jku build , lift advice , lift and tire combination , lift choices

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.