JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Suggested lift for 2012 JK Unlimited daily driver? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/suggested-lift-2012-jk-unlimited-daily-driver-1527813/)

mattyc1210 05-24-2013 02:25 PM

Suggested lift for 2012 JK Unlimited daily driver?

Hi all,

This is my first post although I routinely visit and read other posts. I work all of CT and NY and put about 25k-30k miles/year on my Jeep. I have a 2012 Unlimited Sport S with 22k miles on it.

It's the 4th Wrangler I've owned, but I'd like to make the stance of the Jeep a little more solid with a 2-2.5" lift. I think the 2 doors look fine on stock suspension, but my opinion is the 4 door could use a little lift to accompany the longer body.

Any way, I'll probably keep the stock 17" rim and tires (at least until the tires are worn). I'm not going to routinely go off-road, so my biggest concern is getting a setup that will be comfortable because I drive so much. Also, I'm far from being mechanically inclined, so if there is anything else other than the lift I should be aware of I'd appreciate a head up.

Thanks!
:cheers:

maniacal_rick 05-24-2013 02:56 PM

Just go with leveling spacers. You will maintain the stock suspension geometry, and it will improve the look of your rig. Don't forget your tires will look smaller when you lift the jeep...so keep that in mind. You might not like the look after you lift it with stock tires.

awinski 05-24-2013 02:57 PM

fore warning, those stock wheels and tires are going to look really small with a lift. i personally would look into a leveling kit, and maybe something to make the stance wider. as for a 2.5" lift. i'm a fan of RK's max travel due to the adjustable lower control arms. i DD this, but with 37's.others will chime in with other brands. just stay away from "crappy" low quality lifts and youll enjoy it

waterboarder 05-24-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awinski (Post 15476612)
just stay away from "crappy" low quality lifts

So which ones are those?

roughandtangle 05-24-2013 05:08 PM

I have a 2013 JKU sport s with the teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I ended up doing front and rear track bars to center the axle (they were off by about 3/4 of and inch in the front and just under 1" in the rear) due to the lift. The guys at my local 4x4 shop said that it wouldnt be a big deal but I am a stickler for those types of things. I had my lift on for 1 week before my wheels and tires arrived and I did not like the look with the lift and stock wheels and tires. I personally would not recommend going that route. I would recommend waiting until you can get it all at once or looking into a leveling kit and going up to 33's later. Also with 2.5" of lift you should be looking around 35X12.5 which would kill your gas mileage. Definitely something to think about. Just my 2cents.

muddr1 05-24-2013 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I just installed a rancho 3'' sport lift. With the purchase of the lift and 4 shocks, you get a 300 dollar refund. Rides and handles as good as stock.
Here are 3 pics, one stock, one with the stock fenders and stock tires and one with new tires and flat fenders.
I gained 4'' in the front and 3 in the rear. Took the rake out and site level. hard to tell on the sloped driveway. Mileage is about the same. so win win....

JTPhoto 05-24-2013 06:37 PM

If there is no plan to go bigger tires do not bother to lift. The only reason one lifts is to fit bigger tires. If you want a beefier stance try this instead.

No lift with 33x12.50x16 BFG on ProComp 7169 wheels with 4.5" backspace.

taoshum 05-24-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtphoto (Post 15477372)
if there is no plan to go bigger tires do not bother to lift. The only reason one lifts is to fit bigger tires. If you want a beefier stance try this instead.

No lift with 33x12.50x16 bfg on procomp 7169 wheels with 4.5" backspace.

+1

Remmy18 05-24-2013 08:15 PM

I ran the Teraflex leveling kit with 1.5" Spidertrax on stock wheels and the BFG KMs for a couple weeks before I cut the fenders and installed my 35s. I liked the setup but I did have the Rubi 32s. I agree with the above and would just do rims or spacers and 33s with as much as you drive but if you absolutely want to lift it, def keep it small.

The time now is 04:16 PM.