Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner
75K views 73 replies 36 participants last post by  jnglick 
#1 ·
This is my first write up, so I apologize if it sucks. I have been looking for the right subwoofer solution for me for a while. It seems like to get good sound you have to give up your cargo space. Well I refuse to compromise. I wanted to have cargo room, and still have the locking storage usable in the back. My jeep is a 2 door, but it should work on a unlim. too.

OK enough jibba-jabba. I bought a P3L-S12 by Rockford Fosgate at my local Best Buy. It is a loaded slim box with a 12" P3 woofer. This thing rocked loud wide open in the store and is less than 6" thick. I got the idea from a stealth pod to mount it to the tail gate. I am sure that another downfire setup would rock harder but I promise this smokes the factory sub, and the basslink etc. There isn't much to explain, so I will show you what I did. I have less than 50 posts so maybe someone will no clicky the pics. thanks if you do.

I got some L-shape brackets from Lowe's and some body screws and attached them to the gate with foam behind them.

(they are level and straight. the angle is an illusion)

then I bolted the sub to them and attached the side brackets that came with the sub. ( i made some spacers out of plastic to fit better)

thats it. pretty easy. I had a hard time drilling the tail gate but I am so glad I did it looks and sounds great.

here you can see it installed:

the carpet isn't as dark as it looks in the pics

Sorry if no one is interested in doing this, I just thought I would share.

See less See more
#12 ·
I couldn't stand that detuned factory radio anymore. Unfortunately I didn't have the cash to run out and grab an eclipse head unit. So I pulled out the old Pioneer DEH-P6300 I had collecting dust in the closet. I got to tell you I am not crazy about how this old beast looks, but I forgot how great the sound is. It has pretty decent crossovers and parametric equalizers. The background scenes are cheesy, but it even has sound focus EQ. I think I am going to use it for a while and put my money into other upgrades.

I also upgraded the soundbar speakers with some crossfire 2 way 6.5" They sound 100% better. Just changing the deck and those 2 speakers was like night and day difference.

I am going to build some type of amp "rack" mount under the driver seat tomorrow. I will post pics tomorrow night.

Here is the deck for those that dont remember it.

Notice the cheesy animation. lol.

Here are the crossfires. The new 3 prong factory mount design is a pain in the *** and requires an adapter.

The speaker looks purple, but it isn't. Model is RS62. The dash is soon getting the component set by crossfire called X6.

#6 ·
Thanks for the kind words everyone. I still am running the factory head unit, and front speakers. I am soon replacing it with a navi unit, but I haven't decided which one yet. Some of you may have seen my double din eclipse navi in my TJ I showed in the TJ forums. My g/f works for the jeep dealer so I think I have a line on a good deal on a MyGig but I dunno yet. I have some crossfire 6.5" I am putting in the soundbar to clean that sound up a little, but it is not a direct screw in like on the TJs. I am planning on fabbing up some sort of adapter rings later this week if I can't find any pre-made ones. The sub amp is an older 600 watt kicker unit that has lived in my closet for too long. I refuse to replace it because it pushes a retarded amount of power.... it does pull some amperage though. I am going to post some more pics I took of the box in daylight after my girl gets home and shows me where she put the camera cable. What head units are you guys running? any using a MyGig as a HU? thanks again.

Here are some specs on that loaded sub enclosure:

Woofer Quantity 1
Woofer Size 12"
Woofer Series Punch Stage 3 Shallow
Woofer Impedance (ea) 2-Ohm x 2 DVC
Power Handling 400 Watts RMS/800 Watts Max
System Configuration Sealed
Enclosure Material 1/2" MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard)
Speaker Connector Up To 12 AWG Binding Post
Dimensions H 13.5" x W 27.37" x D 5.25-3.25" (34.3cm x 69.5cm x 13.3cm-8.3cm)
Internal box volume (ft3/liter) 0.60 (16.99L)

(p.s. if anyone buys one of these it requires a long break in period of 24-48 hours of play time because of the suspension design I believe... best buy isn't going to mention it)

#8 ·
This rocks! Nice work. Does the door rattle any or does the foam work pretty well? Can you send some picks of where you have the amp. Do you only plug the sub in when the door is closed I am assuming?

#9 ·
Thanks! I have it plugged in all the time although it isn't plugged in the photos. The cable is run through the factory wire-sleeve/door-catch thing and behind the box. It does vibrate a little at the plastic grill thing to the right of the box. I am getting some dynamat to put in it, and I think it will be ok.

The kicker amp is pretty big but i took the vanity cover thing that hides the wires on the sides and whatnot off and put it under the driver seat. I am working on a plate that bolts the amp to the seat frame keeping it off the floor. Heat is not a problem (the unit uses a fan to help cooling) and it is only turned up to like 1 out of 12. I will take some pics later this week after I finish the amp brackets. I wanted to mount it under the dash or somewhere similar but couldnt find enough room.

#10 ·
looking good. heres mine

got no vibs ever sense I put my spare on.

#16 ·
depends... it might sound good if you use the infinity deck to start with. the factory one in my jeep was "detuned" from the factory to keep the speakers from vibrating the soundbar or something. even though i used my front outputs to tap into to try and avoid that problem, I was far from satisfied. I suggest you look at replacing it.

#25 · (Edited)
So I decided to take the plunge and throw a sub in the back of my JK. After having a nice sounding system in my YJ, I've started to miss full sound. The JK's stock system is nice, but not that nice.

Here's everything hooked up to make sure all of my connections were good. Took the seats and carpet out to make running the wires and mounting the amp easier.

And here is the finished product.

Showing how much storage space is left.

I wasn't expecting a ton of bass since it's a slim mount sub in a sealed box in an open air vehicle, but was I wrong! I only have it around 75% right now since I'm still breaking it in but it can get obnoxiously loud with the top down. I'm not going to keep it that loud since I'm more about quality, but I had to try.

No rattles at all. I'm using about 1/4 sq. ft. of dynamat on the tailgate.

It's powered by a Rockford Fosgate P400-2 bridged at 4 ohms for 400W RMS. This amp is awesome. $400 for the sub, amp, and wiring. I can not complain at all.

edit: Also, I never realized how many drain plugs there are. When I thought I pulled them all a few months ago, I actually missed about 10. :laugh:

#32 ·
I'm resurrecting an old thread here, but I absolutely love how this sub looks installed. I hate messy wires everywhere (my 95 wrangler was a complete MESS when I first got it... I pretty much rewired the sound system). I like it when things look stock, but sound great. Hidden is always the way to go.

Quick question on the amp install. You mentioned that it's a good 2 to 3 inches off the ground. Did you have to remove the seat to do this stuff? I've got a lot of electrical know-how, but I'm useless when it comes to removing the seats or anything with metal.

#33 · (Edited)
Also, in the following pic, I noticed something different about my 07. I have a long, thing black bar that runs across the tailgate. Anyone know what it is?

EDIT: Never mind. It's on yours too. Forgot it was on the top, not the bottom.

I still want to know what it is, though. :D

#35 ·
yep, I have my speaker wire and CB antenna cable running though it. If you mount the sub on the tailgate you'll have to remove the plastic cover but then the sub covers it more or less like stock.

I took my seat out to mount the amp up into it. It's just 4 bolts and one wiring harness. Very simple. You can only see about 1/4" of it below the rails of the seat, so thieves would pretty much have to know about it before hand to be able to even try to steal it. I'm not even sure they would be able to get enough leverage on it to rip it out. Be careful removing the seat though, there is a tag on it that says that you'll need to take it into the dealer to reset the passenger airbag sensor. Oddly enough, when I took it in they said everything was already set up correctly...

I've had the sub in for about 5 months now and I don't regret any part of the project. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.