Stupid question about jk springs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stupid question about jk springs

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-30-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Stupid question about jk springs

I'm not going to try to run this into the ground again as I have a pretty general idea but was just looking for some opinions...I don't have the cash flow for the Rock Krawler flex lift that I want right now, purchasing a home, but want to lift/level the jeep out some to make me happy for the moment. I have 14/56 springs on right now, would it be worth putting on 19/60's new from mopar or 06aa's off the 10th anniversary for a boost for now or should I just wait it out and get the rock krawler later?
Any pics would be nice too, you know just for fun.

goochieman83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Moezer
2015 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by goochieman83 View Post
I'm not going to try to run this into the ground again as I have a pretty general idea but was just looking for some opinions...I don't have the cash flow for the Rock Krawler flex lift that I want right now, purchasing a home, but want to lift/level the jeep out some to make me happy for the moment. I have 14/56 springs on right now, would it be worth putting on 19/60's new from mopar or 06aa's off the 10th anniversary for a boost for now or should I just wait it out and get the rock krawler later?
Any pics would be nice too, you know just for fun.
Why not just get a cheap lift for the time being instead of assking hi rate stock ones? On my 2015 hard rock i had 60 18s and still had the rake effect i got the teraflex lift 2.5 its lower from the back then the front now loool but i ddont mind it that way cant really tell

The tf where i am is about 900 bucks u can always go cheaper and go with the rough contry lift for aound the 500 600 range but i dont recommend roghcountry that much from past experiance good luck
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 06:25 PM   #3
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah had Rough Country on my CJ, it was garbage, so wouldn't even consider it for my JK. Might consider just getting 19 fronts and leave the backs alone so I at least lose the rack. I saw the springs were $90 from the dealership.
Unread 11-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
ncb

I'd wait. I tried to get by on 33s and a Teraflex leveling kit. Should have waited and just put it towards the 35s and 2.5" spring lift I have now.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 08:49 PM   #5
JKInspired

Wait to lift when you buy taller tires. Leveling is overrated.
JKInspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #6
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

There is nothing wrong with putting JKU springs on a JK for an inexpensive lift. I would go 18 for driver side front and 19 for passenger side front. If you go with a 58 in the rear instead of the 60, it should remove the factory rake and give you a more level look. The 60 in the rear is a bit stiff for a JK (2-door) unless you plan on towing a lot. With 18/19/58 you should get around 1.5" lift up front and about 0.65" in the rear. All factory front springs have the same spring rate, they just get longer as the number goes up.
Unread 12-01-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLH View Post
All factory front springs have the same spring rate, they just get longer as the number goes up.

Spring rate and length both change. Not saying that the rate changes for every increase in number, but there are changes in the spring rate also.

It seems that the front increase in free length more so than spring rate, but the rear change in spring rate more so than free length.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2014, 10:24 AM   #8
JLH
2015 JK Wrangler 

The spring rate difference must be very modest because I've measured a 12, 14, 15, and 18. The wire diameter and inches per coil was essentially all the same.
Unread 12-05-2014, 12:03 AM   #9
wilgeno
Bug-Out!

2013 JK Wrangler 

How little is your cash flow? You can get a TeraFlex 2.5" Coil lift for about $480.

Bug-Out! http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/b...build-1568531/

I don't always go topless, but when I do I go Commando!
wilgeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

i would just watch craigslist. Many takeoff springs hit there for cheap. Just wait for the ones you want.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #11
FailWheelDrive
2001 WJ 

I picked up a set of 18/60 springs and rubi shocks in like new condition off craigslists for $100.

The 18/60 combo provided a decent little bump over the 17/58 combo that came on my JKU.

I ended up putting a .75" spacer kit on up front to level it out and am really happy with the result.
FailWheelDrive is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-05-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
goochieman83
2014 JK Wrangler 

My budget is about $200 right now, because of the house thing. I just know that once I get the lift I want I have to get new shocks, exhaust spacer, wheel spacers (keeping the stock wheels). So just wanted to bump it up a tad to keep me happy for the moment. I hate driving a stock jeep, it bothers me for some reason. Granted I guess it would be stock with the 19 springs. Anyone have measurements of what the difference in height and spring rate is between 14 and 19 springs?
Unread 12-06-2014, 12:16 AM   #13
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My budget is about $200 right now, because of the house thing. I just know that once I get the lift I want I have to get new shocks, exhaust spacer, wheel spacers (keeping the stock wheels). So just wanted to bump it up a tad to keep me happy for the moment. I hate driving a stock jeep, it bothers me for some reason. Granted I guess it would be stock with the 19 springs. Anyone have measurements of what the difference in height and spring rate is between 14 and 19 springs?
Each step in springs is going to give you between 1/4 and 1/3 of an inch...so figure about 2.25".
Why not just get a 1.5" to 1.75" spacer kit....will cost you $120-140 and you can use your stock springs (and it won't really affect the ride/drive ability. And as an added bonus, since those spacer kits don't get a lot of wear and tear, you can sell it after you've saved up for a quality lift kit and recoup most of the money invested.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #14
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Granted I guess it would be stock with the 19 springs. Anyone have measurements of what the difference in height and spring rate is between 14 and 19 springs?

You won't be "stock" using 19's in place of your 14's. 19's will be around an 1.5" lift spring (14 to 19 is 5 increases in part number). You can't put a 2" spacer on top without doing what's needed to accommodate a 3.5" lift. You can't use a 4 door 2.5" lift coil to lift your 2 door 3.5"+ and get by with a minimum amount of modifications like you can on a 2"-2.5" lift. You can call them what ever you want, but you still have to do the needed modification for the ACTUAL amount of lift, not the named amount of lift.

19's have a free length of about 18 1/4" and your 14's have a free length around 17". I have 3 or 4 sets of coils on hand I can measure, but 14's aren't one of them.

If your happy with the ride and load carrying capacity of your rear springs, you could get the front 19's and install a 1"-1.5" coil spacer in the rear to level and maintain ride quality.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 12-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #15
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Each step in springs is going to give you between 1/4 and 1/3 of an inch...so figure about 2.25".
Why not just get a 1.5" to 1.75" spacer kit....will cost you $120-140 and you can use your stock springs (and it won't really affect the ride/drive ability. And as an added bonus, since those spacer kits don't get a lot of wear and tear, you can sell it after you've saved up for a quality lift kit and recoup most of the money invested.

14 to 19 coils is 5 steps up in part numbers. Actual lift should be in the 1.25" to just over 1.5" of lift. 2.25" of lift going from 14's to 19's is well on the high side.

Spacers are a good choice if the OP is happy with the ride and load carrying capacity of the factory springs. The low side of the coils are pretty soft and spongy though so for some the longer stiffer coils are an upgrade over the softer 2 door coils and spacers.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.