Struggling - Beadlock or Not - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Struggling - Beadlock or Not

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 11-03-2012, 06:12 AM   #1
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Struggling - Beadlock or Not

I am moving to Arizona with my newly (and fully) upgraded 2012 ULTD w/ 35" tires. Wondering if beadlocks are recommended when running Class 3.5 mountain trails and river beds?

Orange1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Traditional beadlocks with the ring on the outside aren't street legal, so that'd be an issue if you ever plan to drive it on the road. Have you ever heard of Staun internal beadlocks?
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #3
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Not street legal? Crud! I will look at the Stauns, if they are required. Not sure how much I need to air down yet.
Unread 11-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1
Not street legal? Crud! I will look at the Stauns, if they are required. Not sure how much I need to air down yet.
If there's no inspection in Arizona, I don't really suppose it matters. I know here in Alabama my wheels could be made out of flaming dead babies and no cop would say anything. But here's a link of you wanna make the determination yourself...

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
Traditional beadlocks with the ring on the outside aren't street legal
Please reference the AZ code that makes them illegal. I can find no reference to wheels anywhere in the AZ codes - AZ Trans Code.

Do NOT quote DoT as DoT rules (which are standards not laws) apply to manufacturers (yes it WOULD be illegal for Jeep to use them on the units sold to the public) - NOT end consumers (you I and all other end consumers are NOT bound by DoT). A states "refusal to inspect" policy does NOT make them illegal either - it merely grants the inspecting station the right to refuse - a 1 hr job (checking torque on all the bolts) in which they only collect 12.00! - 8 of which goes to the state is NOT a profitable venture!

Until you can provide the code - please understand that just because you SAY they are illegal does not make it so in my opinion. Opinions and law are usually three different things!
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
If there's no inspection in Arizona, I don't really suppose it matters. I know here in Alabama my wheels could be made out of flaming dead babies and no cop would say anything. But here's a link of you wanna make the determination yourself...

http://www.liftlaws.com/are_beadlocks_street_legal.htm
Looked at Florida (my current) and Arizona, neither have beadlock laws in place. The real question is whether beadlocks are recommended in Arizona, I would say it is probably preference.
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1 View Post
Looked at Florida (my current) and Arizona, neither have beadlock laws in place. The real question is whether beadlocks are recommended in Arizona, I would say it is probably preference.
If you are in sand or harsh rocks - and want to safely air down to less than 15 - beadlocks are the way to go. ANd this does not take into account cactus - I punctured a 10 ply sidewall on a cholla - drove back to camp with 0 psi!
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop

Please reference the AZ code that makes them illegal. I can find no reference to wheels anywhere in the AZ codes - AZ Trans Code.

Do NOT quote DoT as DoT rules (which are standards not laws) apply to manufacturers (yes it WOULD be illegal for Jeep to use them on the units sold to the public) - NOT end consumers (you I and all other end consumers are NOT bound by DoT). A states "refusal to inspect" policy does NOT make them illegal either - it merely grants the inspecting station the right to refuse - a 1 hr job (checking torque on all the bolts) in which they only collect 12.00! - 8 of which goes to the state is NOT a profitable venture!

Until you can provide the code - please understand that just because you SAY they are illegal does not make it so in my opinion. Opinions and law are usually three different things!
My bad, brethren. I was just letting him know he might want to check on the legality of beadlocks in his planned future area of residence before he spends $2,000 on a set and finds out he can't use them on the street.
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #9
jrallen
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange1

In that case, I'd suggest that you have them and, assuming you can afford them, they really have no down-side. It's always better to have and not need than to need and not have.
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:45 AM   #10
surfer459
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hutchinson bead locks are street legal! They look great too
surfer459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Wonk
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree with the above about the legality of bead locks. In my opinion, internet myth. Go to AEV's web site. Pintlers are DOT compliant.

As to the OPs question. Bead locks will allow you to deflate tire pressure way below un-bead locked wheels (I usually crawled with the 37 x 12.50 KM2s mounted on Pintlers on my TJ at 6 psi rear, 7 psi front) You know best the type of wheeling you do and if you have a need for that low of pressures.
Wonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
Tenshots1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Even if beadlocks were illegal, no cops would enforce it. if they did, most could be persuaded to believe you have "fake bead locks", which are all over the market. For inspection, simply borrow a pair of fellow jeeper tires and switch for a couple hours.
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonk View Post
I agree with the above about the legality of bead locks. In my opinion, internet myth. Go to AEV's web site. Pintlers are DOT compliant.

As to the OPs question. Bead locks will allow you to deflate tire pressure way below un-bead locked wheels (I usually crawled with the 37 x 12.50 KM2s mounted on Pintlers on my TJ at 6 psi rear, 7 psi front) You know best the type of wheeling you do and if you have a need for that low of pressures.
Not really an INet myth - even before the INet, offroaders and even weekend drag racers have used em (with DoT cheater slicks of course) - its the "non DoT approved" thing that folklore has turned into an interpretation of "not legal". Most states DO have code that says tires must be DoT... so often the thinking erroneously gets extended to wheels.

Now question back to you - why split f/r pressures on the rocks - I just run 6 all the way around?
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #14
Orange1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses. I agree.........Hutchinsons are very nice wheels, and what I had in mind.

Any comments about Hutchinsons other than the expense?

I do have Goodyear MTR 315/70R17 which will fit 8.5" - 10.0" wheels (recommended 9.5"), the Hutchinsons are 8.5". Will the tires be a problem as they are on the edge of the range (I have zero experience with beadlocks)?
Unread 11-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
surfer459
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have no personal experience but I have two buddies who have them on their Jeeps and they love them. They are expensive but supposed to be worth it.
surfer459 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.