Strange Locker Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange Locker Question

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 06-26-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Strange Locker Question

To better facilitate our once-monthly moderate off-roading, I'm beginning to think lockers may be in order for our relatively stock '11 JK Sport. However, as the demand will never meet the my justification for the cost of selectable lockers (especially on both axles), I had a fleeting thought. Has anyone ever installed lunchbox lockers in both axles, only to replace the open gears for winter driving safety? I'm wondering if a few hours' of my labor every other season wouldn't offset the cost, given it would be less than 1/4 in price. Just wondering.

dcramer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 11:08 PM   #2
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Change center section every year? Jack/hoist Jeep, drain diff, remove wheels, remove brakes, remove axle shafts (don't damage seal), open cover, remove bearing caps, pry out diff, set aside shims and races, deep gears means removing ring from carrier to get at center section (don't damage bearings while doing that), disassemble center carrier section (open gears or locker, reassemble center carrier section (open gears or locker), install ring gear with loctite and torque (without damaging/fouling bearings), spread case, install carrier/races, install shims, install bearing caps, release spreader, torque bearing caps, do final checks/cleaning, seal cover, install shafts (again don't damage seal), install brakes, install wheels, oil diff, jack down and you're done the rear...

...yeah, that's practical... lol.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think get a lunchbox for the rear and a selectable for the front and be done with it....and, are you even sure with mild wheeling you need a front at all? I would say I use my front for every 10 times I use my rear locker...
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
2Five22
2013 JK Wrangler 

Far too much work. It is not worth it.

I am just the chauffeur.
2Five22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 05:23 AM   #5
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I havn't actually wheeled my 13', however on my YJ the front lunchbox locker gets me about anywhere I want to go. Probably best $300 i've spent on my Jeep.

That or the winch....
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
slider_68
2011 JK Wrangler 

Instead of a locker have you given any thought to just putting a True Trac LSD into both ends? That's a good set up for dealing with PA snow in the winter and would work for your occasional mild to moderate wheeling, for about the same cost as 1 selectable
slider_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just tradeit in ona Rubi--BINGO !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, all, for your insightful replies. I should have known it was too good to be true. I just got caught up in the hype someone was making that a lunchbox could be installed in 10 minutes. Snake oil doctor, most likely.

I don't think the lunchbox in the rear would work out in the winter, as the wife drives it occasionally. I think I might look into the LSD route. Additionally, a buddy is a corporate exec of a company that owns a plethora of auto parts stores and junkyards. I'll see if he can pull some strings and get me high on the request list for a totaled late-model, low-mileage Rubi. A guy can dream, right?

Thanks again, all.
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:09 AM   #9
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

Before I put a locker upfront in a "mild" "mostly stock" "once-monthly offroader", I think I would just go with an ARB, OX, or some other selectable locker in the rear and be done. I rarely use my front locker in my rubicon - it makes steering a pain and in most cases you don't need it anyways...

A rear locker and good tires will do more for you than just about anything else you can do to your jeep.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

^^ Good advice. What about an eLocker to avoid the manual activator issues I've seen for ARB and OX...or am I thinking of something else?
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyClymer View Post
I would say I use my front for every 10 times I use my rear locker...
In the 11 miles into Rubicon Springs I am locked rear at least 20 times - but fronts only once or twice... only use front in straight climbs unless rear doesn't get it - most of the roughest stuff needs turning where front lockers just don't wanna go....
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I thought I might add that Yukon makes an air locker that is very similar to ARB but a costs a few hundred dollars less.

I had one installed in the rear of my Sahara a while back after the factory limited slip came apart. I like it so much that I am contemplating getting one for the front while weighing other upgrade options.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #13
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

I cannot see your profile from my phone. Before lockers get a good winch. How often do you need to get recovered and a front locker would have let you make it?

When you wheel is it mostly mild trails, rocks, lots of steep hill climbs? I typically use the fronts for big climbs and some rock gardens. If I use them in mud the odds are greater than 70% I'm not going to make it anyway and will need to winch.

If your plans include bigger tires and a re-gear do lockers at the same time as the gears to save on labor costs.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I cannot see your profile from my phone. Before lockers get a good winch. How often do you need to get recovered and a front locker would have let you make it?

When you wheel is it mostly mild trails, rocks, lots of steep hill climbs? I typically use the fronts for big climbs and some rock gardens. If I use them in mud the odds are greater than 70% I'm not going to make it anyway and will need to winch.

If your plans include bigger tires and a re-gear do lockers at the same time as the gears to save on labor costs.
Thank you. My style of wheeling tends to be mud, mild-to-moderate rocks, and hills. I'm beginning to sway more towards the rear selectable locker. No, I probably will not regear, as I will not be increasing tire size beyond 33" and will most likely retain the 3:73s.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.