Strange button - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Strange button

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 11-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
xd1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Strange button

Ok, its the wife's JK unlimited this time 2014. I cant find this button in the manual its right next to the hazards. Looks like there is a picture of the Jeep going down hill and a clock next to it. I can't find it in the manual anywhere.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1978
xd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
KYgreenYJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hill descent control, only works in 4wd, just helps you slow down w/out the brakes.

Old Jeep, SOLD:
94 Green YJ SE 4.0L 5spd
3.5" BDS lift, 1"MML/BL, Revolvers, SYE/CV, no track bars or sway bars, MORE sport cage
Green Jeep Club Member #20
KYgreenYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #3
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYgreenYJ View Post
Hill descent control, only works in 4wd, just helps you slow down w/out the brakes.
by controlling the brakes for you.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Hill decent control. It works cool. Only in 4lo (I am pretty sure only in lo - never tried it in 4hi because I think it said in the user guide only 4lo) and its slick - pull into first - the transmission will stay in first, and the brakes will apply to hold 1-2MPh, if you place shifter in second (with assist remaining on), the trans will still stay in first (no upshifts while HDC is on unless throttle is applied) but speed is set to 3-4mph, shift to third (trans stays in first ) and speed is increased to 7. (reverse limits to 1). Anytime you want to override UP in speed simply depress throttle slightly and you can control the engage/disengage, to decrease speed either pull shifter down a gear or use brakes the old fashioned way!

example - transfer in 4lo, shifter in second hill assist on, as you approach the hill stay slightly on throttle, as speed increases because of hill lift throttle - downshift to first will occur and brakes will begin cycling to maintain 3 then 2mph, to speed up ease into throttle speed will increase normally and a upshift will be allowed if needed - if you need to slow simply lift throttle and again will downshift to first and apply brakes to 4. pull shifter to first and speed drops to 1-2. Coming over the top of rocks - overshooting is damn near eliminated with simple one foot operation (throttle). You can accelerate with decent assist on - but be ready for the brakes to auto apply as soon as you lift the throttle (and gyro senses you are going downhill).

The only thing I can say I dont like about it - you cant feel the lockup point of your front tires - the brake pedal is pulsey just as it is during abs activation. I was descending a very steep hill. I dropped into the ruts from mudders climbing it and left steer was only scrubbing the sides of the rut so I needed to come to a complete stop - and needed to back up a bit. As I stopped I lost all feel of the steering as the fronts locked (not only do locked brakes no longer steer - they no longer feedback to the driver) - I simply could not find that balance point of holding without locking while also trying to force it to steer left (to climb out of the rut)! Once I was stopped I had to look at my front tires to see where they were steered (a full turn too far left) as I completely lost the feel. A little scary the first time - but now I know what to expect! Its like cruise control for your brakes.
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

most ridiculous feature on my jeep and any. At least it never goes on. If I need the brakes going down hill in low its way to steep to be handing it over to ??? a cheep computer that has horrible programming? Or is that to descend a steep parking garage?
Unread 11-05-2013, 03:50 PM   #6
Dealer24028

Hill Descent Control (HDC) – If Equipped

HDC is only intended for low speed off-road driving. HDC maintains vehicle speed while descending hills in off-road driving conditions by applying the brakes when necessary.

The symbol indicates the status of the Hill Descent Control (HDC) feature. The lamp will be on solid when HDC is armed. HDC can only be armed when the transfer case is in the “4WD LOW” position and the vehicle speed is less then 30 mph (48 km/h). If these conditions are not met while attempting to use the HDC feature, the HDC indicator light will flash on/off.

When enabled, HDC senses the terrain and activates when the vehicle is descending a hill. HDC speed may be adjusted by the driver to suit the driving conditions. The speed corresponds to the transmission gear selected.

Gear --- Approximate HDC Set Speed

1st ---1 mph (1.5 km/h)

2nd --- 2.5 mph (4 km/h)

3rd --- 4 mph (6.5 km/h)

4th --- 5.5 mph (9 km/h)

DRIVE --- 7.5 mph (12 km/h)

REVERSE --- 1 mph (1.5 km/h)

However, the driver can override HDC operation by applying the brake to slow the vehicle down below the HDC control speed. If more speed is desired during HDC control, the accelerator pedal will increase vehicle speed in the usual manner. When either the brake or the accelerator is released, HDC will control the vehicle at the original set speed.

Enabling HDC
Shift the transfer case into 4WD LOW range. Refer to “Four-Wheel Drive Operation” in “Starting and Operating” for further information.

Press the “Hill Descent” button. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” in the instrument cluster will turn on solid.
NOTE:
If the transfer case is not in 4WD LOW range, the “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” will flash for five seconds and HDC will not be enabled.

NOTE:
If the ESC senses that the brakes are overheating the “Hill Descent Control Indicator Light” will flash for five seconds and HDC will become deactivated until the brakes have cooled.

Disabling HDC

Press the “Hill Descent” button or shift the transfer case out of 4WD LOW range. The “Hill Descent Control Indicator” light in the instrument cluster will turn off.
Dealer24028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
most ridiculous feature on my jeep and any. At least it never goes on. If I need the brakes going down hill in low its way to steep to be handing it over to ??? a cheep computer that has horrible programming? Or is that to descend a steep parking garage?
Yes^^ I remember using it on our way out of Moss Wash down the steep incline off the backside of the Wualipai's .I felt completely out of control of the Jeep like I handed my life over to the onboard computer. Reminded of the autopilot scene in the movie "Airplane" I will never use that again.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 04:17 AM   #8
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

so can we be sue happy with chrysler when the ECU causes someone to flip over?
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #9
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

The failsafe when active is to apply brakes and stop (and in the case of brake fade to slowly release with a warning light)... and only a moron would go downhill without his foot over the brake pedal "just in case". So I guess ya'll are also offended by the computer applying an anti-lock strategy in a panic stop or the traction control limiting wheel speed...

I have seen a non computer controlled vehicle loose control faster - from OVERBRAKING (yea thats right - that stupid advice I have heard so many times - just pull that park brake up a notch so you can lock the now overadjusted back brakes - which when PROPERLY adjusted and applying less force than the fronts keeps you going STRAIGHT - so go ahead and risk a slide sideways or completely swapping ends halfway down the hill - lol) - to each their own I guess.

The adaptive cruise control with collision avoidance that can bring a vehicle to a complete stop with NO input from driver is also getting a TON of folks (who have never experienced it) crying out how unsafe it is. Yet it can react faster than ANY driver. At just over 60 adjustments PER SECOND compared to one adjustment per 1.3 seconds of the human reaction time - almost 70 times faster. Ya'll that think YOU have more control than the computer - are just too good for any street vehicle and should be piloting space shuttles instead! Oh wait rocket ships are fly by wire (because the engineers accept that computers are faster than ANY human seat of pants reactions) as well. Never mind. Da Niles not just a river in Egypt.
Unread 11-06-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
The failsafe when active is to apply brakes and stop (and in the case of brake fade to slowly release with a warning light)... and only a moron would go downhill without his foot over the brake pedal "just in case". So I guess ya'll are also offended by the computer applying an anti-lock strategy in a panic stop or the traction control limiting wheel speed...

I have seen a non computer controlled vehicle loose control faster - from OVERBRAKING (yea thats right - that stupid advice I have heard so many times - just pull that park brake up a notch so you can lock the now overadjusted back brakes - which when PROPERLY adjusted and applying less force than the fronts keeps you going STRAIGHT - so go ahead and risk a slide sideways or completely swapping ends halfway down the hill - lol) - to each their own I guess.

The adaptive cruise control with collision avoidance that can bring a vehicle to a complete stop with NO input from driver is also getting a TON of folks (who have never experienced it) crying out how unsafe it is. Yet it can react faster than ANY driver. At just over 60 adjustments PER SECOND compared to one adjustment per 1.3 seconds of the human reaction time - almost 70 times faster. Ya'll that think YOU have more control than the computer - are just too good for any street vehicle and should be piloting space shuttles instead! Oh wait rocket ships are fly by wire (because the engineers accept that computers are faster than ANY human seat of pants reactions) as well. Never mind. Da Niles not just a river in Egypt.
Just for the sake of arguement

I would rather trust my own judgement than leave it in the hands of Chryslers fine engineers. I agree processing speeds may be faster than human judgement, but were talking about off- highway driving that in itself is a risk. Taking the driver input out of it and turning it over to a computer controlled device to potentially freek out in an off camber situation off the beaten path, no thanks. Also anti- lock brakes suck *** in my opinion off road, another feature I wish could be turned off completely when put in 4-lo. I have driven everything from a 1965 c-10 to a Ferrari f430 on a closed course track. Refinements are nice ,but I like to have complete control.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Just for the sake of arguement

I have driven everything from a 1965 c-10 to a Ferrari f430 on a closed course track. Refinements are nice ,but I like to have complete control.
I hear ya - its a preferential thing. Like the traction control on our GTO - I can get a better launch without it turned on - I get a more CONSISTENT launch with it... and off apex steering is MUCH more controlled with it on.

Just consider the what if of downhill control - what if it freaks out?. Your foot is already on the brake (just not applying pressure) so it would have no bearing!

Yea crossing your legs and letting the control do ALL the work? Suicide (or at least improving the gene pool) - lol.

With the very close to same chassis structure and geometry engineering - why is an F1 so much faster (6.5G skid) than an Indy car (5.9)? because of the traction control, electro controlled shocks etc? I'm betting it plays a huge part.

So sure - more FUN to drive without all the refinements (more challenge which is the biggest draw for off roading) - more effective and precise WITH em... besides it is a gut wrenching reality check to admit a machine is better than us - but something we as a society have gone through endlessly in this new tech age. Imagine a future world of not having to hitch your horse to the cart to bring supplies back from town - but damn loud smelly machines called automobiles as an alternative? No thanks not me - lol...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.