stock Rubi rock rails and 35's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > stock Rubi rock rails and 35's

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

stock Rubi rock rails and 35's

I've looked through pics in this forum, and see many people running 35's with the stock rock rails. Under full rear compression, does the rear tire clear the rock rail?

I looked at the rear of mine last night, and noticed that with the stock 32's, I have about 2" between the tire and the rail (by eye-balling it), if it were under full compression.

'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
wTheOnew
2008 JK Wrangler 

A lot of people trim an inch or so off the end of the rails and then bend or cut the pinch seam to not have to run as long of bump stops. I cut 4dr rails down to fit my 2dr, and haven't put the end caps back on yet for that very reason.
. .
wTheOnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

As wTheOnew pointed out- it has a lot to do with bumpstops.

I had a 2.5" BB which included extended bumpstop. I ran 35's without cutting the seam or rail. The tire did not rub at all- when stuffed, the widest part of the tire was still below the seam.

Later I switched to a 2.5" lift, which did not have extended bumpstops, and used the stockbumps instead. With that setup, when the 35's fully stuffed, the widest part of the tire did indeed rub the seam. So I trimmed about an inch off the seam and rails.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

I put rubi stk rock rails on my Sahara. With my 35's, I could not fit my smallish hand between the tire and the rail end. I read somewhere, that under compression, the tire rotates back a tad, and that the room is not an issue, BUT why bother....

It is super-easy to trim with a saws-all. I trimmed 2" off , slightly angled and then silicon-gasket'ed the plastic caps back on. ( blk silicon ) While I was down there, I went ahead and saw-alled the body crimp in the rear wheel-well too to follow the contour of the well/ tire. Then i sealed that cut with the silicon-gasket stuff. Came out great.

The clearance between the tire and body/rail is just too close unmodified if you ask me, especially considering the ease of modification and the downside of a damaged tire... @ 35", they are wayyyyyy too expensive to risk it.
yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I think thatís what I need to do also. It just looks like they will hit. I need to go out and flex it to see if it will, just havenít had a chance yet. Or maybe I should just trim them and be done with it.
Unread 04-26-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses. Saws all it is...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.