Stock Premium Sound Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock Premium Sound Question

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
farstucker621

Stock Premium Sound Question

I just bought a 2011 JKU Sport with the upgraded sound option. I haven't really noticed any sound issues until today. I was playing with the balance and I put the should all the way to the rear of the car and noticed that the two speakers on the cross bar sound awful alone! The music is listenable but not nearly as good as when the music is panned all the way forward. Has anyone else tried this? I guess it's not something that common to mess with. Is this just something that everyone has or do I need to have it checked out?

farstucker621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
SADISTIC
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I had the same issue and replaced the soundbar speakers with some Polk speakers that I picked up from BestBuy for about $60. There are other options that you can get that have plugs that match up to the factory plugs so you don't have to splice any wires, but I am impatient and didn't want to wait for them to ship. There are loads of threads on the subject.
SADISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
aznjeep

2014 WK 

Factory speakers (even if "premium", such as Infinity or Bose) are still mostly paper cones. The real upgrades are in other components, such as sub (again, usually paper filter) amp, and tweeters on the dash. I plan on changing out all the speakers later this year. It just wasn't a priority for the build right now.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #4
swindle
2009 JK Wrangler 

top down doors off driving down the highway and i still know what song is playing....stock premium is good by me
swindle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #5
nhjku
2010 JK Wrangler 

I replaced my soundbar speakers with kicker speakers. I got mine at my dealership through mopar. They are much better than stock. Quadratec has them now for $85. They are also the same speakers that go beneath the dash, and I am thinking about getting two more to replace those as well.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm
nhjku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #6
farstucker621

Quote:
Originally Posted by swindle
top down doors off driving down the highway and i still know what song is playing....stock premium is good by me
Have you tired to pan it to the rear of the car to see if the ones in the back are grainy sounding cause my front ones sound great its just the back ones that stink.
farstucker621 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
02 Grand
2011 JK Wrangler 

Good speakers make a big difference (I went with Polk) but, with the factory head unit, the soundbar speakers are basically putting out mid-range only. Even the dealer brochure for my '11 makes mention of it. I do not have the upgraded sound w/sub though. I haven't heard of a way around this other than putting in an aftermarket head unit.
In the past: 05 WK, 02 WJ
02 Grand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
hawksfan
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was just talking about this with a co-worker who wants some system in her older jeep. I have a 2010 4dr unlimited stock system with sub and it rocks with the top on or off. I am not sure of a reason to just put on the soundbar only as I can travel 70 on the freeway and still hear all speakers including sub with the top off.
hawksfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
jabsther
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was thinking of replacing the soundbar speakers also. I was wondering what brands people are using. I replaced the stock Infinity in my old ZJ to Infinity Kappas 6-3/4" and it made a difference.

I did notice that the http://www.quadratec.com/products/14136_9001.htm and the other Kicker Speaker http://www.quadratec.com/products/14133_202.htm that are direct replacement.
jabsther is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.