Stock headlights/fogs are terrible... Best lighting mods? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock headlights/fogs are terrible... Best lighting mods?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-16-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Stock headlights/fogs are terrible... Best lighting mods?

I've been looking into replacing the factory headlights or adding some driving lamps to better light my way, but I wanted to get all of your input on which light kits or mods are a hit vs. miss. I'm not looking to spend $$$$, but I want a reasonable solution because I can't even tell my headlights are on at night. TIA.

Kberan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here are some threads discussing headlights that I found using the search function. There's probably some good information in them that you can use.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/0...rrible-632755/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/d...-my-jk-858502/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/h...rrible-865573/
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 01:52 PM   #3
WVUJeeper
2008 JK Wrangler 

I think the first step you should take is ensuring that they are adjusted correctly. Mine were WAY off from the factory. The low's were too high and I got flashed very often. The highs were completely useless because they shined up into the trees and didn't even hit the road.

After I adjusted them it was awesome. I am very satisfied with the stock bulbs. I would still like to upgrade the lights eventually though.
BTW, what's with the "if you haven't driven one shut up" nonsense? How can we have a good internet fight if experience and knowledge are going to be a requirement?
'08 Rescue Green Unlimited X - Hard Top, 3.73 gears, Limited Slip, Infinity 7 speaker system, KC Slimlite Long Range, Cobra CB, Rough Country 2.5" BB, 35" BFG KM2's on ProComp 7089's. Fenderless and proud!

My build thread: HERE

RESCUE GREEN JEEP CLUB MEMBER #25
COLORADO JEEP CLUB MEMBER # 1001
WVUJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUJeeper View Post
I think the first step you should take is ensuring that they are adjusted correctly. Mine were WAY off from the factory. The low's were too high and I got flashed very often. The highs were completely useless because they shined up into the trees and didn't even hit the road.

After I adjusted them it was awesome. I am very satisfied with the stock bulbs. I would still like to upgrade the lights eventually though.
x2.

This doesn't get said enough. Especially after I lifted mine, I thought the lights were REALLY bad. In fact, I've been lurking in all the threads Hilldweller has been posting about lights and even emailed Daniel Stern.

Then, just on a whim, I double-checked my aiming. I think my lights were a good 4-5 inches off just ten feet away! So I fixed that, and the difference is pretty amazing. They still suck compared to some other vehicles, but they are tons better than they were when they were misaligned.

It's two screws and a torx head driver. Can't hurt.
Unread 02-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
TxJeepGuy2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUJeeper View Post

x3
If you can't tell that they are on, then there must be a problem. I agree, there are always better options, but after adjusting mine I don't have a problem with the stock ones.

3" lift - 35" Fierce Attitude M/T Tires
TxJeepGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
ZBoater
2007 JK Wrangler 

I replaced the bulbs with Hella bulbs. Seem whiter and brighter. They have blue bulbs for both headlights and foglights.
2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2dr auto w/4.10, Green Metallic, Freedom Top, Goodyear MT/R with Kevlar 35x12.5x17, Procomp Series 7069 wheels, OME 2" suspension kit, K&N air filter, Optima Yellowtop D34/78, Superchips Flashpaq, MyGig RER 2.045, Hella 700FF, KC Daylighters 631.
ZBoater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
jaburk

I did the IPF upgrade and am very pleased with the results.

Northridge4x4 Jeep Parts: Headlights
Unread 02-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help, I'm looking into some 130w driving lights to mount onto my brushguard. But I'm going to try adjusting my headlights in the mean time. I do miss having fog lights, they helped a bit but my mopar bumper doesn't have them so its miserable trying to see at night without street lights.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

As others have said, check the aim, mine were up in the trees too. The factory fogs IMO are quite good. The stock lights on the JK are much improved over my TJ's which I had replaced with Fat Boys.

I will probably upgrade the JK's lights but don't feel a pressing urge at the moment. I feel they are adequate for the speeds that this vehicle was designed to safely run at.

In this life you get what you pay for, I was driving my 98 Landcrusier up the CA coast last night and the hi-beams are great!-- but you pay two or three times as much for one compared to a Jeep.

For $100-$200 you can do a lot of upgrading in the lighting department. The good members at this board are doing a lot of sorting out the different possibilities right now and I am greatly appreciative of their efforts.
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:45 AM   #10
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah I have to turn on my factory fogs to even see the road in front of me.....maybe I need to adjust mine. Are the adjustment screws and torx painfully obviously located, or do you have to know where to look?
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:50 AM   #11
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

I know I saw it on here before, but what is the process for aiming the headlights. I need to know the proper measurements for the marks on the wall etc. Also I would think I would want to aim my driving lights at the same marks.

If someone could posted them up again or if you have a link that would be great.

Thanks
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #12
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Sorry...found it.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #13
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Aiming is important.

Here's my Hella reflector with Osram bulbs install:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...ht-kit-961071/

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
CDavisJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I also have the RallyLights/Susquehanna Motorsports H4 headlight upgrade. The difference between the Rally Lights and the IPF upgrade from Northridge 4x4 seems be to European vs DOT. The beam pattern good for both, but they are different. The IPFs are have a flat cutoff while the Hella E-Codes sweep up to the passengers side for street signs.

Here are pictures of my Hella E-Codes from Rally Lights with 130w Osram bulbs (3200 lumens)

Lows

Highs
CDavisJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #15
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavisJK View Post
I also have the RallyLights/Susquehanna Motorsports H4 headlight upgrade. The difference between the Rally Lights and the IPF upgrade from Northridge 4x4 seems be to European vs DOT. The beam pattern good for both, but they are different. The IPFs are have a flat cutoff while the Hella E-Codes sweep up to the passengers side for street signs.
More than that really.
The Northridge kit uses a blue-tinted bulb that I'm not sure is compliant for either DOT or Europe (can't use the blue ones in Europe anyhow).
It also contains a plug adapter pigtail rather than a relayed harness with upgraded wiring.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.