Stock Fog Light Switch issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stock Fog Light Switch issue?

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Stock Fog Light Switch issue?

So, many years ago, I modified the wiring to my factory fog lights, so that I could toggle them on via my own switch, in addition to the factory switch. Many years later, I removed my wiring, and did not hook things back up to the stock switch. Now I am trying to hook up the stock switch to the factory fogs and I am running into issues.

1). I have a blue wire, which I labeled (many years ago), "stock fog light switch". Using my multimeter, I get 12v on this wire, regardless of the position of the stock fog light switch (on or off), regardless of whether the keys are in, the accessories on, or anything else. It's 12v always on. This all boggles my mind - but put that on hold for a minute.

2). I also have the positive wire to the fog lights. When I connect it to the positive terminal of the battery, the fog lights come on. So I know the fogs are working, and all that is needed is for this wire to get a positive 12v.

3). Now, if I connect the blue wire from #1 to the wire in #2, the lights do not come on. Since I've already determined Wire #1 is 12v hot, and that the fogs come on when Wire #2 gets 12v from the positive terminal, I don't understand why this is happening.

4). If I connect the multimeter to ONLY Wire #1, I get 12v. If I connect the multimeter to Wire #1 WHILE it is connected to Wire #2, I get 0v. I don't understand this.

5). I need to make this work so the vehicle passes the local inspections. If was never an issue before because Alaska doesn't have these silly inspections. I've already talked with local people and they all say to pass, the fogs must work, and be wired to the high beam cut off properly - so I have to get this working again.

Any ideas? Its worth nothing that at one point, I did have the fogs working from both the stock switch and my extra switch. I'm not sure what has happened since. One possibility is that the blue wire (#1) is not actually the stock fog switch and that I mislabeled it way back when (but I kind of doubt it), but this does not explain why it is 12v always on, but not powering the fogs.

For those of you who have messed with the stock fog light wiring....can you confirm the at the positive wire from the stock switch to the lights, over by the battery area, is in fact a blue wire (2007 model year, if it matters)?

The other possibility is that I am using the multimeter incorrectly....but I don't think that is the case either. But if anyone has ideas here too, please chime in.

All contributions appreciated.

Thanks,
wb

waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 01:48 PM   #2
Netpackrat
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Do they have a requirement for you to have fog lights, or is it just if they are there, they have to be working? If the latter, remove the fog lights and install blanking plates for purposes of the inspection, and tackle the problem afterward. Otherwise obtain the factory wiring diagram and make what you have match that. You had such a rat's nest of wiring, I wouldn't try to sort it out without one.
Netpackrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-26-2014, 03:22 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

If present, they have to be working. To get them out is not easy, due to the bumper.
Unread 10-28-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Anyone?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.