Stinger Bumper, Any Trail Applications? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stinger Bumper, Any Trail Applications?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
Jeeper2061
2007 JK Wrangler 

Stinger Bumper, Any Trail Applications?

I know stinger bumpers are mainly used for rock climbing but do they serve any purpose for trail driving or do they get in the way on the trail?

Thanks for your help this is my first post, im currently looking for a new front bumper for my JKU.

Jeeper2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

First, welcome to our forum...lots of good info to be found here by reading and searching...
Second, lots of opinions too...mine is that stingers are bling and not much else. I have seen some cases where they have kept a vehicle from going *** over end on a very steep drop off, also called a pre-runner, they may keep brush and crap off the grill if you are into desert racing...as I said, lots of opinions on this forum.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
Jeeper2061
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for your reply,

I'm just curious if the stinger will get in the way, I mainly go to the river and run the trails there, I also occasionally hit the trails in Colorado. Im mainly worried that the stinger will get in the way on the trail, I think they look great though. I plan on getting the LoD shorty with stinger to match mt rear tire carrier.
Jeeper2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Drmudgood
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Also great if you run into a deer on the drive home at 65mph!
Drmudgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:28 AM   #5
cyberpyrot
2012 JK Wrangler 

Since I hunt it makes the perfect place to tie a Pig or a deer too.

Thought of the day
Trust people who like big butts they cannot lie...
cyberpyrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
tyvanwie
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't put one on a JKU. They're big enough. And for trail driving I would want another foot sticking out in front.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #7
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

With a long JKU you run the risk of nosing down more so than in a JK. It may be wishful thinking but I really hope my stinger helps me not plow into a bank.
Black 2011 JKU Rubicon/ 6spd w/5.13 gears/ 5.5" RK X-Factor Mid Arm (3.5") Springs, RRD Shocks/ Poly Inner/Outter Sleeves and C-Gussets/ Reid HD Knuckes/ 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" MB72s/ ACE Flat Fenders/ JCR Front Stubby Stinger, Rear Stubby Bumper and JCR Deluxe Sliders/ Warn 9.5 cti w/Syn line/ OR-Fab Swing Away Tire Carrier w/Fuel Can mounts

Oct 2012/Dec 2013 JKOTM

My work in progress:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...dated-2206865/

Couldn't have done it without Jason@KrawlOff-Road.com!!!
HOKIES2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #8
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

I run the LOD shorty with the winch guard. Its a great bumper, you won't be disappointed. The winch guard doesn't stick out and looks good with the JK lines, IMO (obviously!)

However, I will say that I wasn't all that impressed with the front skid plate. Its ok, but the fit is a little odd on the shorty.

Also, fwiw, I agree that the stinger as well as the winch guard are 90% bling and maybe 10% function on a trail. Especially since the winch on the LOD bumper is between the frame rails, the guard really offers no real protection. It does give a nice mounting location for a couple of lights though.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #9
HappyTrails
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmudgood View Post
Also great if you run into a deer on the drive home at 65mph!
LMAO, that's probably the most used application for a stinger IRL.
Bunch of other junk.

"Y'all kin say whut y'all want 'bout the South, buy y'all never heard o' nobody retirin' an' movin' North."
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.