Still confuesed...surely someone knows (audio install) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Still confuesed...surely someone knows (audio install)

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 03-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
nismosis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Still confuesed...surely someone knows (audio install)

OK, so here is the scoop. I have an 08 sahara with the Infinity sound system. I have already replaced my factory sound bar speakers. I have a new Pioneer head unit arriving shortly as well as a new mono-amp and subwoofer. So in the end I would like to have actively working; the factory front speakers (tweeters included), my new sound bar speakers(rear) as well as the aftermarket subwoofer. I will be removing the factory subwoofer and factory infinity amp, running the fronts(tweeters included) and rear off of the pioneer head unit. The mono-amp is for the sub. That is all pretty straight forward.

My confuesion starts here. How do I wire the tweets to the new deck? Do I splice them in with the fronts to the new deck? Or will I blow them by doing this? Im not sure if they have a built in crossover, or if I will need one. If that is the case I would most likely buy a new component kit for the front; which I do not want to do. What are my options?

Also, what is the situation on the power, on/off accessory power, and ground for the new deck. I have done some research on lots of forums and what I am gathering is that there is no accessory power from the factory wiring. Could someone clarify this for me? There is a power and ground in the factory wires though correct?

At the end of the day I would like to have my speakers directly wired to my pioneer deck (no amps), and the power source, on/off power source, and ground coming from the factory radio wires. Is this possible?

Sorry for my giant rant, Im just trying to be clear as mud The sub and sub amp are not an issue, its just these darn tweeters, and the power sources that are giving me trouble.
Thank you

nismosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #2
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

How does the factory headunit split it? Are you using a wiring harness?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
nismosis
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
How does the factory headunit split it? Are you using a wiring harness?
Im not sure how it is hooked up via the factory. I will probably run new speaker wires to each speaker, so I can bypass all the infinity system. I have not had it apart yet. I dont want to use any aftermarket harnessess. I want to just use the wires that come off the back of the pioneer deck and go right to the desired speaker/power/ground. Make sense? I guess you could say, hard wired right to the deck. Im assuming colors on the deck will be different than colors in the jeep.They always have been in my past experiences. The only wires I plan on reusing are the factory power(s) and ground, if they are even present in the factory harness.
nismosis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
bobrio
2009 JK Wrangler 

in order to run the tweeters and midrange off the same channel you will need a CROSSOVER to split the frequencies so the highs go to the tweeters and the mids go to the midrange speaker.
bobrio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

If you buy a harness it will do the splitting for you. The Tweeters probably have an inline capacitor to get rid of the mid and bass...i.e. a crossover. You're not doing anything by running wire to every speaker other than causing yourself a lot of work. You'll need a capacitor anyway. If you want to get really crazy you can buy an electronic crossover...

Unread 03-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

The factory infiniti amp has output for tweeters, mids, rear, and subwoofer
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiNoob View Post
The factory infiniti amp has output for tweeters, mids, rear, and subwoofer
If that's true then you only have to put your amp where that amp is and just use those wires, coming off of your own cross over. Or, new wires coming off of the cross over.

You can feed the tweets with the same wire as front speakers but that would be halfassing it. If you do that then you'll need the cap to get rid of the freq's that the tweeter doesn't need.

Based on the fact that you want all new wiring you will want to go with a crossover.
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

The factory amp adjusts the levels for each frequency based on the volume. This is controlled via canbus.

Best advice for you:

1. Get a wiring harness for your radio.
2. Purchase Component System for Front
3. Run new speaker wire to HU
4. Run RCA from Sub-Out to mono amp

Good Luck.
RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

See my signature. It works. The front components installed in the factory locations including the tweeters. My crossovers are in the ends of the dash.
Unread 03-22-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I will try to help you out here. this might be a long post sorry

you should easily be able to wire the tweets in with the front speakers, do some searching on speaker wiring and OHM ratings, you want to ensure your wiring keeps the OHM rating that acceptable to the deck. I think in paralell is the way to go. You will need to install a capacitor inline on the tweet speaker wire. this takes away all the lows and only lets through the highs. there are different caps for different levels. IE will only let 10,000 and above past, or 9,000 and above past for example. my experiance in the past was this is trial and error, every vehicle and deck combo and tweet combo sound different. but a few types and try.

I think what you are curious about for your mono amp is the remote or a signal to turn it on with the key. your new deck will have a "remote" wire. this goes to the amp.

go to any car stereo place and buy a wiring harness and deck mount kit. this wiring harness will plug right into your factory deck wiring and tell your what colour is what...IE power, switched Power, front left, rear right etc.... but.... my advice is do not use the factory ground wire and in a perfect world don't use the factory power either. run your own power wire to the battery and find a really good ground and ground it there from the deck. the switched power is not critical this is just telling the deck to turn on and off, there is no amp load on this wire.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
audio components , deck , speakers , tweeter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.