Still cant get my IPF 968 driving lights to work, please help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Still cant get my IPF 968 driving lights to work, please help!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

Still cant get my IPF 968 driving lights to work, please help!

Now I should start by saying, this was my first attempt at any electrical work but with how straight forward the install is supposed to be, I figured I was up to the challenge. For anyone that has these lights and even those who dont, please help! I bought these lights from quadratec about 2 weeks ago and tried installing them this past weekend but to no avail, so I unhooked everything again today and started from scratch... still nothing.

I followed all of the step according to the provided instructions but can not seem to even get the LED's on the switch to light up. Maybe someone can help me with where I went wrong.

First step, I unhooked the (-) terminal of the battery. I then mounted the relay upright with the wires coming down. I have read reviews of people claiming that they mounted the relay to a bolt as a ground, but my relay doesn't have a metal tab coming off of it, is it supposed to? I just used the screw provided and screwed it into my airbox and it seems to hold tightly. I then grounded the two wires coming from the relay, one with a hook and one with a metal ring. Is there supposed to be a third ground? I attached the yellow wire with metal ring to the (+) terminal of the battery. I connected the wires that run to the headlights, these are just 2 rubber enclosed crimps. I then ran the yellow and black wires connected to the switch into the cabin and used the enclosed red wire splicer to tap the yellow wire into my highbeams (despite this not being my primary choice, I decided to follow the directions explicitly to minimize any room for error). All of the wires coming from the relay and harness are attached but I can't get the lights to work or the switch to display the LED's. I checked both fuses to see if they were blown and they look fine to me, so I'm at a loss. And after hooking everything up and attaching the (-) terminal of the battery back up, I got no power but all I heard was the radio/stock head unit making the noise it makes when it switches CD's, only repeatedly for about 20 seconds which can't be good. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

What did I do wrong??? Sorry for the poor quality pictures, took them with my phone.

(the relay mounted to my airbox, I don't see any metal tabs on this thing)

(yellow wire from relay connected to + terminal of battery)

(its tough to see but I grounded the two wires from the relay to these bolts next to the fuse box)

(connected the lights)

(again its hard to tell what this is a pic of but give me the benefit of the doubt, I tapped into the headbeams[white and green wire] using the red splicer)

(this mess of wires is what comes into the cabin from the engine bay, although its all hooked up, I can't get any power to the switch... and yes I remembered to turn the high beams on)

The only consolation is that the non-functional lights look pretty bad *** (I want to eventually mount these on the top of the bar over the winch but just used two existing holes in my bumper for the time being).

Unread 06-16-2010, 09:29 PM   #2
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Are the lights grounded? You didn't mention that step.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:06 AM   #3
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kberan View Post
I have read reviews of people claiming that they mounted the relay to a bolt as a ground, but my relay doesn't have a metal tab coming off of it, is it supposed to? I just used the screw provided and screwed it into my airbox and it seems to hold tightly. I then grounded the two wires coming from the relay, one with a hook and one with a metal ring. Is there supposed to be a third ground? I attached the yellow wire with metal ring to the (+) terminal of the battery.
I believe your issue is somewhere with the relay. The lights should run to the relay. One wire from the relay should run to the "load" on your switch. another wire from the relay should run to ground and the third to the + terminal on your battery, You can't run ground to just any bolt, it should connect to the frame directly or indirectly.
Unread 06-17-2010, 06:25 AM   #4
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Take the wire runs from the Aux lights to the relay. Unclip it from the relay and touch it to the Pos terminal of the battery and see if they light up. If they light up, then at least the part is wired correctly. next you need a tester and see if the current is running to the relay from the switch. Put the tester on the clip for the wire you ran from the switch and see if it lights up. If it does then the problem is the relay.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
irishgearhead
2007 JK Wrangler 

Are you running a external switch or trying to use the factory switch. If ur using the factory switch it will not work due to the canbus! U might need an external switch!
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Kberan
2007 JK Wrangler 

VICTORY!!!

Thanks guys for all of your help, I took the jeep to our local mechanic to see if he could test the wires to see if the relay was getting to power, it was in fact getting power so he played around with all of the connections and bam! they turned on. He said that one of my grounded wires wasn't touching metal because the bolt had plastic on both sides of the metal, easy fix.
Unread 06-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

Glad it worked out........Otherwise, I'd say stop on by since you're in Columbus.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.