STIFF Suspension!!! Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > STIFF Suspension!!! Help!

Huge Soft top SaleRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 01-24-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
C11Gidasi
2008 JK Wrangler 

STIFF Suspension!!! Help!

So I bought an '08 JK Unlimited with what I believe to be a "Black Diamond" 6" lift (sound familiar to anyone?). The ride is VERY STIFF. It's so stiff that the rear looses traction and slides out when I am driving over dirt roads that have become washboarded / rutted. It's embarrassing taking friends up the mountain for a drive! When I go over speed bumps at anything but a snail's pace, everything in the back flies up and gets slammed to the floor. Riding once in my friend's stock 2 Door 2010 Rubicon, it was like riding on a soft mattress or water bed compared to this.

Here are some general questions I have on the matter. (The later ones are just out of curiosity.) Any help with any of them is much appreciated!

1. I assume it could be the shocks or springs. Not sure what kind of shocks they are, but they're all white, thick, and have no writing on them. How do I know if it's the springs or the shocks?

2. I once broke a bar pin and had to drive down the mountain with only one shock in the rear. There was NO appreciable difference in the ride. I still lost traction over the ruts in the dirt road. So I thought SPRINGS! Any opinions?

3. When removed, the shock I tested compressed slowly, with no rebound on its own. I assume this means they're warn out, correct?

4. There is only 35,000 miles on the Jeep. How long does it usually take to wear out shocks?

5. If they are indeed worn out, I was always under the impression that it would make the ride much more soft / mushy, not stiff. Thoughts?

6. In considering replacements, how do I know what maximum extended length is good? A friend suggested the person who lifted it might have actually installed shocks that are too short. Also, I heard Rancho shocks tend to be on the stiffer side, even when set to the softest adjustment setting.

7. I see all these pictures with people rock crawling and showing flex that looks like one side is extended 3 feet! How can this be? Do these people have special shocks / disconnected shocks or something?

8. Why do some insist on installing shocks upside down? Does it make a difference?

Sorry - relative suspension newbie here. I really appreciate the help. Thanks!!!

Last edited by C11Gidasi; 01-24-2011 at 01:46 AM..
C11Gidasi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I doubt you have a 6" lift. What size tires do you have? Black Diamond shocks are notoriously worthless. I hate all Black Diamond products, with their shocks being the worst in their product line.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:38 AM   #3
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
When removed, the shock I tested compressed slowly, with no rebound on its own. I assume this means they're warn out, correct?
bad shocks, prolly bad springs as well if they are from black diamond. Call Dave at northridge4x4 and he will help you out. EMO are great progressive springs that I highly recommend, bilstein shocks are nice and are highly recommend on these forums. Travel is usually limited by the shock however you cant just get a longer travel shock then the lift can handle or you wont be able to stuff a tire well either. Dave will hook you up with the correct length, it depends on what your ride height is, atleast when using the stock shock bracket.

These Jeeps are pretty bad on washboard roads compaired to like a stock Jeep or 1/2 ton pickup. With a lifted Jeep you dont want a super soft ride or body lean will be a problem.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #4
Blu-Jacket
2009 JK Wrangler 

What psi are the tires set at? If it's above 30psi, could be adding to the roughness. The BD stuff is on the low end. I think Super Lift bought them out. If you see any part numbers, they might be able to help. To answer #8, I think the aftermarket shocks are inverted for fitment. Otherwise, they would bind against the lower shock mount.
Blu-Jacket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:13 PM   #5
C11Gidasi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. I'm running 35s. Why do you doubt I have a 6 in lift. You may be correct, just curious. The pressure is above 30 PSI, though I forget exactly where. I'll try deflating a little. But won't this cause a bad tire wear pattern?
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
ytowntj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I'm running 35s. Why do you doubt I have a 6 in lift. You may be correct, just curious. The pressure is above 30 PSI, though I forget exactly where. I'll try deflating a little. But won't this cause a bad tire wear pattern?
6 inches of lift on a JK would be HUGE. you can fit 35s with 3" of lift and some do it on less.

The larger the tire size, the more weight the tire can support at the same PSI. For example I need 35 psi on my TJ with 30s, but only 25 psi on 35s. To fine tune the pressure for maximum ride comfort and tread life try the chalk test. Run a line of chalk across the tire (get it pretty thick). Now drive in ~ 10ft increments on flat pavement until you begin to see the chalk wearing off. if it wears off in the center first, lower the pressure. If it wears off on the sides first, raise the psi. Ideally you want it to wear off evenly across, or maybe slightly quicker in the center.

I agree BD products suck. When you say the shocks are upside down, so you mean with the can down and shaft/boot up? If so that is the proper mounting of a hydraulic shock which I BELIEVE BD shocks are.

If you are at 6" of lift, your control arm angles are terrible and you should consider lowering it to 3-4" IMO.
ytowntj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 01:55 PM   #7
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

When you are looking at lift, don't compare JK's to past Jeep models. The JK sits higher stock. 3 inches of lift is plenty to fit a 35 inch tire. That would have required six inches on a TJ.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
tavic
2010 JK Wrangler 

The only kits out there from Black Diamond is a 2" Spacer Lift and a 3" Spring Lift. By the sounds of it you probably have the Spring Lift and I agree with the others that Black Diamond is notorious for stiff springs. If you're on a budget, try a different shock absorber to start with.
tavic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Air down when offroad. 15 PSI ish. You'll never regret it.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 05:54 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingArcher View Post
its called driving a jeep
Why did you change his quote around? Just curious. I thought that was a lot of work just to let someone know they are driving a vehicle with an inherently bumpy ride.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
It's called reading his entire post and adding useful inputs. He compared it to another Wrangler that rode a lot smoother and nicer than his.

Sorry OP, I would suggest (as others have) that the culprit is the BD Springs.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:03 PM   #12
C11Gidasi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, tavic! It's a spring lift, so definitely the 3" - sorry about the incorrect observation.

And, SterlingArcher, thank you, but your post is useless.
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:11 PM   #13
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
With that, I would like to say I stand by my post. He's trying to compare two completely different jeeps, when he's done he's going to come over and compare my tv with my microwave to see which makes phone calls better.
You sir did not differentiate between Jeeps with your original statement, but rather generalized ALL Jeeps with your condescending remark. You, therefore, are saying anything Jeep rides rough, thus negating your next statement about the models being different. In either case, you neither added anything helpful, or pointed out anything the OP did not already know as I am sure he already knows that he is driving a Jeep. Maybe, sir, you can therfore make some good observations about the difference between the two Jeeps to help the OP out?

If I rankled your feelings sir, I apologize. I was not trying to be insulting. I was simply asking you to please consider your responses to someones question before typing them as yours was neither helpful, insightful, or new. It was, however, completely useless and rather insulting. Not only is that, but so is this response. So, with my apologies to the OP, I will leave it at this and return to the thread. Again, sorry for the hijack.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
shocks , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.