Stepping on the gas & hearing a noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stepping on the gas & hearing a noise

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Reply
Unread 03-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
ToniF303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 5
Stepping on the gas & hearing a noise

When I step on the gas (after the Jeep is warmed up) I hear a metal like noise. But the longer I step on the gas, the noise goes away. Until l stop the car and then again, I hear the noise when I step on the gas. This has been going on for about 10,000 miles, and it's at 62,000 miles now. 2007 JK 4 door

Any ideas???

__________________
ToniF303
ToniF303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Well, considering the mileage you have experienced this, it's not very serious or you would have experienced a breakdown at some point. It's hard to diagnose "noise". Especially since I can't hear it from where I am. I would think that it's no big deal, and that I wouldn't worry about it.
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler
 
ronjenx's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniF303 View Post
When I step on the gas (after the Jeep is warmed up) I hear a metal like noise. But the longer I step on the gas, the noise goes away. Until l stop the car and then again, I hear the noise when I step on the gas. This has been going on for about 10,000 miles, and it's at 62,000 miles now. 2007 JK 4 door

Any ideas???
Manual? Or auto?

The noise goes away as the Jeep picks up speed?

Could be pinging from expecting too much in too high a gear.
If that's the case, you need to look into it.

Could be as simple as some tin rattling underneath, too.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:08 PM   #4
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx

Manual? Or auto?

The noise goes away as the Jeep picks up speed?

Could be pinging from expecting too much in too high a gear.
If that's the case, you need to look into it.

Could be as simple as some tin rattling underneath, too.
I was thinking pinging too, but shouldn't the computer compensate?
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
propped1
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 760
Its the heat shield above the muffler... The welds suck. They break. Costs me $100 at the dealer to find that out. Happened twice. I just bent it back myself and saved the money the second time. The metal sound is the shield vibrating on the exhaust when you accel. Same thing happened to me. Just bend it back. If you have a welder you can more permanently fix it. I dont.
__________________
._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
paul olllllllo
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: royal oak michigan (hometown of DR. JACK KEVORKIAN)
Posts: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by propped1 View Post
Its the heat shield above the muffler... The welds suck. They break. Costs me $100 at the dealer to find that out. Happened twice. I just bent it back myself and saved the money the second time. The metal sound is the shield vibrating on the exhaust when you accel. Same thing happened to me. Just bend it back. If you have a welder you can more permanently fix it. I dont.
Would a high temp silicone kind of "glue" it in place?
__________________
2008 Flame Red "Captain America" Unlimited.
paul olllllllo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #7
propped1
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 760
never tried... let me know how it works out
__________________
._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:07 PM   #8
nyrangersfan19
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hudson County, Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 411
Not necessarily the heat shield. My JK has AWFUL pinging.

OP: Is the noise happening at a certain RPM EACH time? If so, it might be some exhaust resonance, like the heat shield mentioned above. If not, it could be pinging. (spark knock)
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #9
LIJeepJC
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Merrick, New York
Posts: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul olllllllo

Would a high temp silicone kind of "glue" it in place?
If its the catalyst than not sure if the glue can stand that heat...
LIJeepJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
ronjenx
Web Wheeler
 
ronjenx's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 3,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIJeepJC View Post
I was thinking pinging too, but shouldn't the computer compensate?
The computer's ability to reduce pinging has its limits.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #11
ToniF303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 5
The Jeep is an Auto. Thanks for your ideas.
__________________
ToniF303
ToniF303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #12
ToniF303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 5
Wow... thanks for the idea. Could be the problem. We'll check it out.
__________________
ToniF303
ToniF303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
ToniF303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
Not necessarily the heat shield. My JK has AWFUL pinging.

OP: Is the noise happening at a certain RPM EACH time? If so, it might be some exhaust resonance, like the heat shield mentioned above. If not, it could be pinging. (spark knock)

I just seem to hear the noise when I first step on the gas. I'm starting to hear it more often when I'm going faster and step on the gas. That's a girl answer, huh?!!
__________________
ToniF303
ToniF303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
nyrangersfan19
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hudson County, Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 411
Yeah, that sounds like spark knock. Try running Premium for a couple tanks and see if that helps. If it goes away with the premium, then you know thats the problem. I have no idea how to fix it.
nyrangersfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2012, 02:41 PM   #15
ToniF303
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Parker, Colorado
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrangersfan19 View Post
Yeah, that sounds like spark knock. Try running Premium for a couple tanks and see if that helps. If it goes away with the premium, then you know thats the problem. I have no idea how to fix it.
Sounds like maybe the easier try. I'll try that first.

PS - LOVE the Rangers, too!
__________________
ToniF303
ToniF303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.