Steering wheel switches - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering wheel switches

Flowmaster Discount Code! Thank you JeepForum Members!!!!!Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Labor Day Sale!

Unread 09-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Steering wheel switches

Here is a TSB dated June 9, 2012. Just info for all.

JEEP / COMPASS
JEEP / WRANGLER

Service Bulletin Number:
SB-08-037-12-A
NHTSA Item Number:

Summary:
JEEP: AFTER THE HORN HAS BEEN IN USE, THE SWITCHES FOR STEERING WHEEL MOUNTED AUDIO AND/OR ELECTRONIC VEHICLE INFORMATION CENTER (EVIC), FAILS TO FUNCTION INTERMITTENTLY OR NOT AT ALL. *PE

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
JeepCares

Here's more info:

NUMBER: 08-037-12 REV. A
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: June 09, 2012

SUBJECT:
Steering Wheel Mounted Audio And Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)
Switches Function Intermittently Or Not At All
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves inspecting and replacing the right side steering wheel mounted speed
control switch if necessary.
MODELS:
2011 (JK) Wrangler
2011 (MK) Compass
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built prior to June 1, 2011 (MDH 0601XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Both of the following symptom/Conditions must be exhibited:
1. The steering wheel mounted audio and/or EVIC switches may function intermittently
or not at all. It may be noticed that the switch works properly after using the horn,
unplugging and reconnecting the steering wheel switches or a battery disconnect.
2. The speed control switches function properly.
NOTE: The Audio/EVIC switches are hard wired (MUX) to the Speed control switch
and then the Speed control switch communicates over a LIN bus to the
cluster. This concern was caused by the Speed control switch not properly
communicating with the Cabin Compartment Node (CCN). This concern only
affected the Audio/EVIC switch inputs not the Speed control inputs.
NOTE: DTC U1109 - Lost Communication with LIN Steering Wheel Controls may, or
may not, be stored in the (CCN).
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #3
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Lee,

I believe that there was a similar service bulletin for the 2011's regarding the cruise control buttons not working? We went on a long road trip about four weeks ago, the cruise control sometimes would not work (turn on) after a gas-up/stop for a bite to eat. Sometimes it would switch on (after trying every five minutes) after 20 mins or so. I've been running into this problem around town as well, but it didn't make a huge difference due to the short distances travelled. This is the only problem I've had with the Wrangler since I got her!

Again, thanks for posting your help in the forums!
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
JeepCares

The only Service Bulletin involving cruise control I could find was this one:

SERVICE BULLETIN NUMBER: 18-024-11
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: May 14, 2011

SUBJECT:
Flash: MIL Illumination And Cruise Switch Inoperative And Idle Buffeting Condition
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2008 - 2011 (JK) Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine (sales code
EGT) built before March 27, 2011 (MDH 0327XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may experience a MIL illumination when no problem exists. Upon further
investigation the Technician may find any of the following Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC)
active or stored:
a. P2181 - Cooling System Performance (2008 through 2011 models)
b. P0139 - O2 Sensor 1/2 Slow Response (2011 models)
c. P0159 - O2 Sensor 2/2 Slow Response (2011 models)
On 2011 models, the cruise control ON switch may appear inoperative when attempting to
turn the cruise system on. The software could potentially mature DTC, P0591 - Speed
Control Switch 2 Performance (which does not cause MIL illumination). The customer
complaint will be that the cruise control did not turn on or that cruise control turned off
inadvertently, but functioned as expected during the next key cycle.
On 2011 2 - door Wrangler's models, the customer may also experience a condition known
as “Idle Buffeting” while the vehicle is idling. This condition can be similar to driving a 4
door model down the road with one rear window down and all others rolled up, causing a
thumping or buffeting sound.

Updating the PCM software will correct the conditions listed above.
---------------------------------------

You still under 36,000 miles?
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
SlyDawg64

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis View Post
Lee,

I believe that there was a similar service bulletin for the 2011's regarding the cruise control buttons not working? We went on a long road trip about four weeks ago, the cruise control sometimes would not work (turn on) after a gas-up/stop for a bite to eat. Sometimes it would switch on (after trying every five minutes) after 20 mins or so. I've been running into this problem around town as well, but it didn't make a huge difference due to the short distances travelled. This is the only problem I've had with the Wrangler since I got her!

Again, thanks for posting your help in the forums!
I have the same problem on my 2010 2dr Rubicon. Had it checked out a year ago and they could not find the problem.
SlyDawg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, that is the exact description of what is going on, thanks. Under warranty, though I'll be going to the alternate dealer in town if I have to have the PCM software updated - my dealer is not mod friendly!!! I've been avoiding rolling my rig onto the lot, lol.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.