Steering Wheel Lock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Wheel Lock

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #1
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

Steering Wheel Lock

Is any one familiar with or know how to disable the steering wheel lock? I would like to be able to tow my Rubi without having to leave the key in the ignition.

Roger Frazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
JYogi
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sure, ask your friendly neighborhood car thief...
If you apply enough pressure to the steering wheel it the internal lock will snap but this is not something you really want to do....
Unread 10-07-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree...........but with the Jeep being so open and vunerable as it is, the steering wheel lock is a pretty lame system. I was hoping it would be something that with a little work, could be disconnected.
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #4
Ancient Mariner
2012 JK Wrangler 

From what I have read on this Forum ages ago, it seems to me I read you can have a key made for your Jeep that does not have the chip built it, it's just a plain piece of metal key like you would get at any hardware store. That would unlock the steering wheel, but the engine will not start with that particular type of key in the ignition - it will unlock compartments, though. Could be an alternative solution.
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:36 PM   #5
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I didnt think jeep keys have a chip inside... atleast mine looks like a basic key.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
norok2big
2013 JK Wrangler 

Why would you unlock the steering wheel? While towing, wouldn't you want the wheels to stay straight?

Also, I think you only have to put the 4wd into N and you are set.

There has to be something in the book I would think.
norok2big is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 04:51 PM   #7
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I will be towing my Rubi behind my motorhome and the wheels have to be able to turn with tow bar assemblies. With the JK's, when you unlock the steering wheel (first click), the battery will begin drain and if you are on a long trip, you will have a dead battery. In order to stop thatm you have to pull the 10ID fuse to stop the drain. It would just be a lot easier to just to NOT have to unlock the steering wheel.
Unread 10-07-2007, 09:41 PM   #8
MsBedtime
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2
I didnt think jeep keys have a chip inside... atleast mine looks like a basic key.

Yup, they have chips inside. I found this out as I was inquiring into aftermarket remote starters. They guy kept asking me about the chip in the key and I had no idea what he was talking about, so I called my dealer and he confirmed. You can have extra keys made by syncing up with an existing key, or they can look up the key code information stored at Jeep from your VIN.....so he says. Which is the reason I guess you can't hot-wire the Jeep, it needs the chip to be in the steering column to start and actually be driveable. I suppose a really good thief could figure out a way right? LOL.
MsBedtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
Ancient Mariner
2012 JK Wrangler 

...and NO, you do NOT want your steering wheel locked if you are towing, you need the front wheels to track behind the towing vehicle ahead of it. ...and YES, there are fuses you can pull to keep the battery from draining OR you can run hot and ground wires from your towing vehicle to keep the Jeep charged all the time while towing and the battery will never be drained.

Nothing is easy.
Ancient Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

True..........nothing is easy. If the steering lock could be permantly disable, that would be the easiest over the long run.......if it is possible. Has no one had the steering column apart to see how it works?
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #11
Timdelta@people

a bolt ----just like a dead bolt in your home door, comes out and fits into a hole in the column. I think it would be possible to take key assy out and hack saw off the bolt. All of the above was true a few years ago, but who knows now with the new tech in the system.
Timdelta@people is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
tomc121
tomc121

2007 JK Wrangler 

easy way

just put a switch on your battery cable no muss no fuss. Start chopping your lock off the inside of the collum will void some off your warranty. and your insurance company will not cover theft of your jeep.
good luck
Unread 10-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #13
Roger Frazer
2008 JK Wrangler 

I guess one option is to install a dash mount switchable 20amp circuit breaker to interrupt power to the 10ID fuse.........?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.