Steering upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
hossler

Steering upgrade

Looking to upgrade my factory drag link and tie rod on my 07 jku. Im not looking for a high dollar hydro kit or even high steer. My jeep has over 100k miles on it now and 34" tires so looking for some suggestions. The jeep doesnt get wheeled often. But id like a slight upgrade since i added larger tires.

Whats the best bang for the buck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 12:29 PM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hossler View Post
Looking to upgrade my factory drag link and tie rod on my 07 jku. Im not looking for a high dollar hydro kit or even high steer. My jeep has over 100k miles on it now and 34" tires so looking for some suggestions. The jeep doesnt get wheeled often. But id like a slight upgrade since i added larger tires.

I think the best stock upgrade bang for the buck is the Currie stuff. I have a Synergy TieRod and Currie Draglink. Currectlink stuff wasnt out when I bought mine. Synergy quality isnt what it used to be. Heard from shops and individuals. I also think TF has pretty good stuff. Its just more expensive.

https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...ctlync-tie-rod
https://www.northridge4x4.com/fits/2...lync-drag-link

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #3 of 11 Old 07-17-2017, 03:02 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
i run synergy tie rod and drag and track bar. been on this jeep now 5+ years of hard use. i dont run moderate trails. 37s and a HD PSC big bore steering box. What i like about the set up is all the tie rods ends are 1 ton all are left hand threaded and the same exact part. so one part can replace all four ends of the drag and tie rod. not that i have broke one but makes covering your bases simple. but these all need grease as well. you can not just do them once and done.

i know the tie rod holds very well to rocks. they are heavy. i would not say they are low cost think its like 300$?. for that you will have to go to china made; rough country etc.. or just stay stock unless you wheel it hard enough to need. The stock tie rod bar bends and keeps the bend rather easy, if its bent a lot then you could use something better. stock drags can flex with enough resistance and enough power steering on large wheels in hard terrain. stock steering it be would rather hard to bend that drag, excepting in a wreck.

I have some Currie parts control arms. but i think their Jk tie rod cost more and uses parts that will not change sides or even use. so if you pack parts you need much more parts. in the Tj world though Currie steering is the #1 go to. But jk dont have the same type of steering, its simpler. No inverted Y. If your Jk is at least 3" lift going to a flipped drag and a raised front axle track bar is very nice upgrade to improve steering feel and reaction and a better roll center. The synergy drag works flipped. you need to get the front bracket to raise the track bar 3" then drill out the tie rod end to use a flip sleeve. Night and day difference on how it handles on road.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 06:27 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
If your Jk is at least 3" lift going to a flipped drag and a raised front axle track bar is very nice upgrade to improve steering feel and reaction and a better roll center. The synergy drag works flipped. you need to get the front bracket to raise the track bar 3" then drill out the tie rod end to use a flip sleeve. Night and day difference on how it handles on road.
Good points but key statement in bold. Also need 3" bumpstops. Drill knuckle. The currie can be flipped as well. I cant remeberif its just a different rod end, or you can use the one that comes with.... Cant find what I read. Might be wrong. If you are lower than 3" lift, investing in control arms is about the same money as a flip kit. Less work.

If I had a 4" lift on a JK and wheeled it, I'd flip and get the Currie HD components. Drag link and TR lists for around 1200 as a package though.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #5 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
hossler

My jeep only has a 2"/1" lift. Thanks for the input guys. Going to look into those two brands and some new balljoints and order them this weekend

post #6 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 08:24 AM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I personally have synergy drag link and tie rod, and they have served me pretty well over the past few yeas.

Steer Smarts yeti system has caught my eye lately. Looks like serious beef in the parts. Check out their comically large track bar.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 09:05 AM
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251 View Post
I personally have synergy drag link and tie rod, and they have served me pretty well over the past few yeas.

Steer Smarts yeti system has caught my eye lately. Looks like serious beef in the parts. Check out their comically large track bar.
As somebody with a large track bar (RK BombProof), its not the bar as much as the bushings, rod ends. I've had to replace the frame side bushing a couple times. Luckily its a $10 part, but gotta take it off to fix it.... annoying. The bar diameter isnteverything. You want the right joints. Joints are the expensive part. Tube Stock, threaded ends, and jam nuts are pretty cheap. Some Johnny Joints are like $125 each.

._______
/_l__[___],
l--|--|--L
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
post #8 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 10:16 AM
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Look at the rebuild cost of the yeti... 350.00 - both ends are proprietary 175 ea. gotta carry two spares if you want to be able to trail repair.

the synergy uses GM1 ton (left) ends - moog has some good HDs for 25-35 bucks... one in the box hits all ends of the synergy drag/tie as a spare...

J Wm Bishop EA, ASADE
The wagon should, of course, be as light as possible, but strength should not be sacrificed to lightness, for on any but the regularly traveled roads, the wagon will get many a
post #9 of 11 Old 07-18-2017, 11:30 PM
Kolak
Vendor

Thought I would mention that JKS had a draglink flip kit with trackbar bracket:

http://jksmfg.com/i-22814506-drag-li...tegory:1091237

I have that available as well as components from Teraflex or Synergy. If anyone's interested just PM me here on the forum or email me at kolak@aol.com

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

or
post #10 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
hossler

What about, moog stuff? The drag link and tie rod ends are greaseable and supposely heavier. Also its about $300 for everything

post #11 of 11 Old 09-19-2017, 06:50 PM
Pine_Cat

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossler View Post
Some of the JK steering kits require bumpstop extension? If we're counting up the total, all-in costs of the kit, should we include the cost of the lift?

So, the more bumpstop extension, the higher the true cost of the kit. The best bang for the buck is delivered by the kits that require the least bumpstop extension.

2017 JK Sahara (my Smart car)
2011 KK Liberty (H&R lift springs, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 32s)
2009 Kia Sorento (H&R springs, ToyTec strut spacers, OldManEmu shocks/struts, skinny 31s)
2006 TJ budget LCG prerunner (see profile)
2006 Chevy Trailblazer (SWB-EXT lift, rear LJ Nth 4.5" springs, skinny 32s)
1998 Dodge Durango (SuspensionMaxx and Roadmaster lifts, rear Truetrac, skinny 32s)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.