Steering Stabilizer - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Stabilizer

ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!

Unread 12-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #46
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob View Post
I was hoping at least one of us had it fixed. I will keep my fingers crossed for your sake. Do you adjust your caster yourself or do you have to take it to someone to do it?
I took it to 4 Wheel Parts and had them adjust it with cam bolts. The guy told me that they always try and get the maximum caster out of the cam bolts that they can for SFA trucks & Jeeps with as much lift and tire as I have.

I've also read on another forum that ideally you want to be up around the 6 to 7 range with 35"s or bigger with the JK.

I don't doubt that Antigoon knows what hes talking about so like I said I can only speak from my personal experience, and that experience was that going up to the caster I'm at now made a very positive difference. By the way, for point of reference caster is set to 4.2* at the factory.

Unread 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM   #47
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the input. I have used USAntigon's post before and they were spot on. Unfortunately so far, no luck with this particular issue. I guess it really depends on each vehicle. Each part working together to make sure everything performs properly. Thanks fo the point of reference, I will keep trying to tweak things until it falls into place. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!
Unread 12-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #48
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Is it just me or is it insane that a vehicle is so sensitive to every little thing?

I have never owned a vehicle that needed to have perfectly balanced tires, perfect bushings, perfect alignment and the exact right amount of weight in it to keep it from falling apart.
Not just you. Sometimes I feel like my front end is only where it needs to be when the planets are perfectly in alignment
Unread 12-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #49
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Great point HELLBOUND13. I could not concur more. That is why I think there is a bigger issue. Not sure what it is but there has to be something particular making this happen.
Unread 12-21-2009, 03:44 PM   #50
USAntigoon
Retired from Forum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Each unit is different.. JK engineering with the push from Daimler tried to give the JK the best ride quality possible.. Bigger SAI, better Ackermann, very small neg. scrub....The combination of this all made it very sensitive towards changes in the steering and suspension..
Those who feel that an increased caster with bigger tires will solve DW are just mistaken. DW is a very complex oscillation of the front wheels caused by gyroscopic forces from the spinning front tire and wheel assembly.. The bigger the latter is the more mass and gyroscopic effect is created.. The higher you dial the caster, the more aggressive this gyro effect will be
(See here for what gyroscopic precession is all about...)

Understanding the root of the oscillation is very important. It starts of course with loose and worn out components..but even with tightened up and perfect balanced components, DW or shimmy can happen.. Scrub radius, pneumatic trail and arm are very important variables..The wheel off set, caster, tire pressures, tire flank stiffness are the key inputs which will change the scrub..

Enough technical jargon .. back to the issue..swap the current tires with the stock ones and see how it behaves..If DW still exists then the answer is within the suspension. The next step should be a third party alignment check. If caster is still at 4.6 degrees, bring it down to the min...Test again with the stock wheels.. If all OK, then try the MT's again..etc..
You have to develop a plan...don't keep on tweaking.. follow a "tweak script"
Enjoy and Merry Christmas as well...
USAntigoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:06 PM   #51
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks again for the input. My brother will be in town for the holidays. Little does he know we may be doing some tire changing and road testing. It would be a lot easier if the DW was more predictable. It is random. Thanks again for the input and Merry Christmas!!!!
Unread 12-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #52
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAntigoon View Post
Each unit is different.. JK engineering with the push from Daimler tried to give the JK the best ride quality possible.. Bigger SAI, better Ackermann, very small neg. scrub....The combination of this all made it very sensitive towards changes in the steering and suspension..
Those who feel that an increased caster with bigger tires will solve DW are just mistaken. DW is a very complex oscillation of the front wheels caused by gyroscopic forces from the spinning front tire and wheel assembly.. The bigger the latter is the more mass and gyroscopic effect is created.. The higher you dial the caster, the more aggressive this gyro effect will be
(See here for what gyroscopic precession is all about...)

Understanding the root of the oscillation is very important. It starts of course with loose and worn out components..but even with tightened up and perfect balanced components, DW or shimmy can happen.. Scrub radius, pneumatic trail and arm are very important variables..The wheel off set, caster, tire pressures, tire flank stiffness are the key inputs which will change the scrub..

Enough technical jargon .. back to the issue..swap the current tires with the stock ones and see how it behaves..If DW still exists then the answer is within the suspension. The next step should be a third party alignment check. If caster is still at 4.6 degrees, bring it down to the min...Test again with the stock wheels.. If all OK, then try the MT's again..etc..
You have to develop a plan...don't keep on tweaking.. follow a "tweak script"
Enjoy and Merry Christmas as well...

Very good info. Thank you for sharing.
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #53
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Seems I am in the same boat......

Bought the rig, had 33's and a 2.5" budget boost on it. Very very slight wobble at 55'ish mph, nothing worth speaking of.

Fast forward 2 months. Take it wheelin and bust the steering stabilizer. Remove it and drive back to camp......wobbling at anything above 20mph. Put a new steering stabilizer on and wobble almost goes away, but is there at somewhere around 50mph.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago. New tires/wheels/lift. 37's and 4" suspension lift. Old front tires are nearly bald on inside.....toe is obviously wayyy off. And it was. Aligned and now a wobble at 30-35mph....to the point of full blown wobble without either driving through it or slowing down.

Now....I must say....I am willing to bet that all my components are original. Balljoints, TRE's.....all original. And I'm certain I hit a rock and tweaked the tie rod when I blew out the stabilizer....hence the change in toe. Anyway.....with the alignment corrected and a new stabilizer, I've got the exact same issue as you do with all new parts.

That tells me there is something else to it than just "worn parts" which is the usual response to these threads. As anyone can plainly see from doing a google search, this issue is happening to those with new JK's with 0 miles and no lift. It's definitely a "design" issue......but the correction is something a bit harder to pinpoint.

I will say, I have a buddy with 37's and JK axles on his cherokee with no stabilizer and NO wobbles, shimmys or shakes. What that tells me is one thing. It would stand to reason that the only things different on his would be the trackbar mount to the body and the caster/pinion angle.

Anyway, I'm joining the army of many in the search for solutions.
Helldorado Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #54
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Keep us posted. Ive racked my brain on this. I also tightened all my suspension again tonight and found that one of my rear Edelbrock shocks is leaking.

I don't know how an $89 shock with less than six months and no off road miles is leaking already.

Also would it be safe to say that the JK is more prone to DW than the TJ was?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 07:43 PM   #55
RacingRandie
2009 JK Wrangler 

With everything I've read it seems either you have it or you don't. I hope I never have to deal with it. I did a 2.5" BB and put on 15" wheels with 4" BS and 2" wheel spacers so I'm sure sooner or later it will rear its ugly head.
RacingRandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2009, 02:45 PM   #56
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

It will be interesting to see if DEEPSKY has the issue anymore after his recent mods. If it were a little wobble I would just ignore it, but it's not. Since it happens only between 30-35 mph I was thinking I will never drive that speed anymore and I solve my problem.
Unread 02-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #57
Helldorado Customs
Addicted...

2007 JK Wrangler 

Just an update to this as promised:

Fixed my wobble. FINALLY! Culprit: Tie rod. Replaced factory Tie Rod with an HD one and new tie rod ends. No wobble....and no steering stabilizer.

Unread 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #58
yukonmuscle
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had the same issue with the steering wheel shaking when hitting a bump with only one tire , like a pot hole. Last week i removed my adjustable track bar and re installed the factory track bar with the AEV high steer kit. problem solved. I believe my problem was with the bushings being too soft in the track bar after comparing it to the stock one. Althgough i could find no movement in the bushings of the track bar, when compaing it to the factory track bar it just looked flimsy. I also noticed that steering precision improved with the install of the high steer kit. not sure if this is due to fliping the drag link so the angle matched the trackbar or if it was a bushing issue as well. either way i am happy cause i have been putting up with this issue for a year and now its gone. by the way the aev kit is awesome. relocates the drag link, track bar, sway links, steering stabilier and front shocks. and comes with a new ome steering stabilier, and the new drag link is an oem mopar part so replacing it when it wears out should be as easy as going to the dealer and ordering one up. best 400 bucks i have spent on the jeep yet.
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #59
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukonmuscle View Post
I had the same issue with the steering wheel shaking when hitting a bump with only one tire , like a pot hole. Last week i removed my adjustable track bar and re installed the factory track bar with the AEV high steer kit. problem solved. I believe my problem was with the bushings being too soft in the track bar after comparing it to the stock one. Althgough i could find no movement in the bushings of the track bar, when compaing it to the factory track bar it just looked flimsy. I also noticed that steering precision improved with the install of the high steer kit. not sure if this is due to fliping the drag link so the angle matched the trackbar or if it was a bushing issue as well. either way i am happy cause i have been putting up with this issue for a year and now its gone. by the way the aev kit is awesome. relocates the drag link, track bar, sway links, steering stabilier and front shocks. and comes with a new ome steering stabilier, and the new drag link is an oem mopar part so replacing it when it wears out should be as easy as going to the dealer and ordering one up. best 400 bucks i have spent on the jeep yet.
What adjustable were you running?
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 09:07 PM   #60
yukonmuscle
2009 JK Wrangler 

i was running the Zone off road track bar. i still run their springs and rear track bar bracket, but in my opinion the front track bar is just not a very good quality peice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.