Steering Stabilizer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Stabilizer

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-08-2009, 08:10 AM   #16
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobjeep View Post
Which ball joints are you planning on going with, have you considered a zerks, or a modified grease-able? Mine are wearing, and the driver side needs replacing soon. I refuse to go back to stock.
I was thinking about trying these out:

Jeep® 07-09 Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Ball Joint Kit :: Jeep Steering :: AtoZ Fabrication

Quote:
Have you tried removing the bolts and looking for a wallowed out hole? Mine seemed perfect when tested, when the bolts were loosened, you could see the movement and it was obvious when removed. Once this was resolved, my shimmy went away.
Not yet. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend as well. To anyone who has had washers welded to fill the holes, how much did it cost you?

Quote:
I'm pretty sure I mildly damaged my tie rod, so I was planning on a poly rod and hi steer kit.
This might have a lot to do with it. Before I started just adjusting my toe myself, I had a shop set my toe-in and suddenly my Jeep pulled HARD towards the grade. I found out they had set my toe-in to a little over 1/4". After I put it back to around 1/8" the pull wasn't bad anymore.

Unread 12-08-2009, 08:41 AM   #17
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wouldn't a heavy front bumper put MORE stress on the front suspension?

As far as ball joints these are very expensive but are supposed to be the last ball joints you will ever need. They will be available in about three weeks..

Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:48 AM   #18
thebobjeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
As far as ball joints these are very expensive but are supposed to be the last ball joints you will ever need.
Do you have a price on these? Earlier this year several companies where working on them, but I haven't seen any come out.
thebobjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:50 AM   #19
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Ive heard around $500 for the set of four.
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #20
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Wouldn't a heavy front bumper put MORE stress on the front suspension?

As far as ball joints these are very expensive but are supposed to be the last ball joints you will ever need. They will be available in about three weeks..

Dynatrac ProSteer Ball Joints
I saw those a few weeks ago on here, but the price is just insane. I'm going to give the AtoZ Fab ones a shot first. At least they're greasable.
Unread 12-08-2009, 01:32 PM   #21
ncb

The Dynatrac ball joints in the pictures have zerks.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:14 PM   #22
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'll tell you what, if Dynatrac says that their ball joints will permanently fix my shimmy or my money back I'll fork over the $500 bucks.
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

The A to Z are made by Crown right? Are you positive they will fit the JK? I was told there are no greaseable ball joints for the JK yet.
Unread 12-08-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The A to Z are made by Crown right? Are you positive they will fit the JK? I was told there are no greaseable ball joints for the JK yet.
Yeah Crown (I actually just saw that myself). According to their site it's a Jeep® 07-09 Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Ball Joint Kit.
Unread 12-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #25
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Yeah Crown (I actually just saw that myself). According to their site it's a Jeep® 07-09 Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK Ball Joint Kit.
Well get and let me know if they are better than stock!

Although judging by that pic it looks like its going to be hard to grease that bottom zerk with the u joint in place.
Unread 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #26
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Well get and let me know if they are better than stock!

Although judging by that pic it looks like its going to be hard to grease that bottom zerk with the u joint in place.
You can get right-angle zerk fittings and point them towards the rear!
All this talk about ball-joints makes me hope mine go bad sooner rather than later, so I can get warrranty replacement before big tires!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #27
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I just checked. Those Crown joints are the same as OEM and do not come with zerk fittings. The picture shown are TJ ball joints that do come with the zerks, the JK ones do not.

Looks like Im shelling out for the Prosteer when they come out.
Unread 12-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #28
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCBob View Post
Good evening all. I added a Rancho Steering Stabilizer at the beginning of the summer along with many other mods (see below) After many tweaks I still occassionally have the shimmy. Does anyone think dual steering stabilizers would help the problem? If so, what kind are you happy with. THX
things to check:

track bar
drag link
tie rod
ball joints
slop/looseness in steering box and shaft to firewall
bushings on all 4 control arms
steering knucle
wheel bearings

all of these things should have ZERO slop of movement. adding another stabilizer will simply mask the problem, not fix it. good luck!
Unread 12-21-2009, 09:07 AM   #29
OCBob
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the ideas. So far no luck. Good thing I have a friend as a mechanic and it has not cost me my whole arm yet. He is equally frustrated. All the info I could find was mixed on the steering stablizers, so I have elected to hold off. Since so many of us are having the same issue, I hope one of us finds a solution soon. It appears some of you have been even more aggressive trying to fix this with no real solution. This is very frustrating and a pain in the neck! I did not buy a jeep to avoid the potholes in on the highway...... Scary thing is my kids are getting used to it.
Unread 12-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #30
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

did you remove and physically/visually inspect the bushings on the trackbar and control arms? you might find your problem there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.