Steering stabalizer 2011 jk - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering stabalizer 2011 jk

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-25-2013, 07:15 AM   #16
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes I got home and removed the ss and bracket. I found that the Dow screw that holds the bracket is bent. I have the new high mount coming tomorrow with all new brackets. How far on the tie rod does the bracket go? I drove it home without the. Ss and seen very little difference. Is there anything else that could cause me to not be able to turn the wheel. It seems that I can force it straight again when it happens but would hate for it to happen at high speed. Luckily I was pulling into garage each time at work. not unless the jeep is trying to tell me NO don't go in there. Lol

Droptop306 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM   #17
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Most likely whenever the clamp was damaged - so was the stabilizer and now is short on travel so cant make both left and right extremes - and when suspension travels (like turning into a driveway and going through bump omn one side and rebound on the other) it needs more that just ain't there!

The stock clamp is okay - until you hang it or bend it after which it will be very unpredictable. You are headed in the right direction replacing. Keep in mind some of that unpredictability and coming loose is from the gouges put on the tie rod - make sure to address that with either a mill file or replacement with a chromemoly tie - replacing the tie is a good idea - if you dragged the clamp you may easily have bent the tie. Will still work but once bent it gets "spongy" on the obstacles..

When you put it all together attach the tie rod end last. Center the steering, pull the stabilizer all the way out (full extension) and mark the tie rod where the eye is. Then push it all the way in (full compression) and mark the tie rod again. Then simply mount the clamp with the stabilizer eye bolt dead center between the two marks. Leaving the marks aids in future checks to make sure nothing has moved.

Does your high mount kit come with the tie end clamp? Many use the stock turned over. Link to the clamp I prefer - it does not hang harshly on rocks and the clamp is centered to the eye bolt - not offset like stock design.
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

It comes with new brackets. They look like u bolts with clamp and nuts. I ordered the Superlift 92135 kit for mine. I will have to start looking into the new tie rod. I guess best bet would be so that at same time as ball joints. I hope this corrects the issue. I really like the jeep just seems between the leaks and this a 35k rig should treat me better
Unread 06-25-2013, 09:41 AM   #19
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok. I am taking your word and going to order a new tie rod bar. Is synergy a good brand? I found one for the Jk that comes with new tie rod ends as well. If so I will go ahead and order it. Main question. Is my jeep safe to drive until it comes without steering stabilizer. I would rather put all on at once. Also is the tie rod bar and ends a easy application. I am good with working on vehicles as long as I have some insight how to do it. The jeep and lifted vehicles is new to me but learning quickly. I am more of a muscle car guy with a 08 mustang. By the way thanks for all the help
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #20
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Synergy makes great stuff in my experience. I have their HD mounts, brackets and axles sleeves. The Jeep is fine to drive without the SS until you get it fixed. Like someone said you should notice the bump steer. If you replace the SS, an OEM works just fine. I have heavy 37s and I have no issues with a stock SS.
Unread 06-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #21
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Hokie (don't let that get out!).
I have synergy stuff - even their cm tie. No problems with it so far. I used the one that took the stock ends - but the oem ends went out right after (hammering on the can opener in Hot Springs) and I replaced with heavy duties.
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #22
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
I agree with Hokie (don't let that get out!).
I won't tell, might put it into my sig block though
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:47 AM   #23
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Got one more question. Since the steering locked up for that brief second I have noticed a clicking feeling in the steering wheel when it turn the wheel to either side. I feel it just as I start to turn the wheel even at highway speeds if I just jerk side to side. Is this normal or did I bust something else
Unread 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #24
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

tie rod bar

I finally got the tie rod bar in the mail. I ordered the synergy with heavy duty tie rod ends. How do you install same? Do I need another front end alignment? Off road estimates 250 to install it.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you are handy at all with tools then save yourself a ton of money and do it yourself. Itís not hard at all and Iím sure there is a YouTube or two floating around that will guide you through it visually.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #26
Spaf
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just installed the Synergy TR yesterday and again today. For me nothing mechanical is ever easy but I keep plugging away. Drove the jeep maybe thirty miles today on various roads, sans steering stabilizer, and everything felt right. Waiting on the backordered track bar now. Good luck with yours and ask away if you have questions.
Yellow Jeep Club #54
"Que scais-je?"
Spaf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #27
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

since i am going through all of this what ball joints should i replace the factory ones with. i was looking at the Alloy Heavy Duty upper and lower..
Unread 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #28
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Synergy seems to be the most popular. If youíre installing them yourself be sure you have the proper tools, the uppers can give you grief on install if not.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #29
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

ok I purchased the Alloy USA upper and lower ball joints. So now I think this will complete the entire steering upgrade. Hope this fixes everything. Goes to the shop on Monday. Cant wait to see this tab.... Keep everyone posted.
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #30
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you read some of the reviews on here on those alloy USA ball joints?

I think I'd see if I could send them back and buy the synergy ball joints myself.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.