Steering stabalizer 2011 jk - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering stabalizer 2011 jk

VANCO DUAL MODE KNUCKLE 15" and 16" Big Brake kiLabor Day Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 06-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #1
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Steering stabalizer 2011 jk

Can anyone please tell me why my steering stabalizer keeps coming loose. The first time had it towed to dealer and replaced because I did not know what happened when I could not turn the wheel. Now last night I heard a clunking sound when turning the steering wheel and noticed that the stabalizer has slid over some. Recommendations please

Droptop306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Buy a different stabilizer bracket, proper torque and lock tight
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:13 AM   #3
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Where can i get one? Coming to work again today it came loose and could not steer it until I loosened the nut. Will it hurt to run it without it? I cant keep messing with this. I have 35" tires and 3.5 lift kit.
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:50 AM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

There are a lot of vendors here or you could try locally on craigslist. Any chance you could post a picture, it's hard to believe that won't stay tight enough to work. You should be fine running without one until you get a new clamp.

If you can spare the cash Synergy makes a nice relocation kit to bring it up above the tie rod out of harms way.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

I can try to take a pic. You can actually see where the bracket is sliding across the bar. Should I just get any high mount stabilizer bracket?
Unread 06-24-2013, 04:59 AM   #6
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

You will need a clamp that fits the stock diameter tie rod, if that is what you have.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:05 AM   #7
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Yes I have the factory. Best recommendation. I cant afford to tow it again or wreck because it locks up.
Unread 06-24-2013, 05:47 AM   #8
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptop306 View Post
Yes I have the factory. Best recommendation. I cant afford to tow it again or wreck because it locks up.
Take it off, all it does is absorb bumpsteer mostly. It won't hurt to run without it.

Unread 06-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #9
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ill have to take it off to get it home from work today. So I shouldn't find another high steer setup with new brackets? What about the dual, are they any better. I was looking at the Superlift kit 92135 from quadratec. Comes with brackets and billstein shock. thoughts?
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Dual stabilizer setups are a total waste of money, a stock stabilizer shock is all thatís needed with 35s.

Is the pinch clamp perhaps maxed out to where there is no more gap when you tighten it? There is no reason for the ss bracket to move like whatís happening with you if itís really clamped down tight.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:34 AM   #11
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

No they are not touching. But you can see where it has scratched the bar to silver from moving. I have a pro comp ss on there now. That is what the dealer put on from the first time with a tow to them.
Unread 06-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Droptop306
2011 JK Wrangler 

Also mine is sitting in the stock location, I have not high mounted it.
Unread 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

All I can come up with if you donít want to buy anything right now would be to try and help the bracket get a better grip. Try taking a center punch and hammer and tap all around where the bracket sits on the tie rod to raze some edges for the bracket to hold onto. If you do this there isnít a need to hit it with excessive force, you just want a small amount of metal to rise from the dimples.

Also might want to check to see if your ss is sitting in the correct position. With your wheels facing straight ahead the ss ram should be in center of the shock body. Perhaps it isnít and when you turn your wheels one way or the other the ram has run out room to travel and forcing the bracket to move.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #14
airwin10
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Also might want to check to see if your ss is sitting in the correct position. With your wheels facing straight ahead the ss ram should be in center of the shock body. Perhaps it isn’t and when you turn your wheels one way or the other the ram has run out room to travel and forcing the bracket to move.
I think he hit the nail on the head. I put a teraflex ss on mine and had to move the bracket an inch toward the passenger side. At first I left it where it was but the new ss was a different length and when I turned it all the way left it limited my steering.

Yours is probably hitting its limit and sliding the bracket. Also you might check to see if that mounting bracket is bent. If that's what's happening the dealership that did the work should replace it and the ss again for free. That's my best guess.
airwin10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2013, 03:48 AM   #15
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Yeah that is a good point. I kind of did the same thing on mine when I replaced my SS. Had it in the wrong position. Ended up slightly bending the SS mount. Lesson learned.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.