1Likes
  • 1 Post By K9kodi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
jmcaldwell92
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Steering question after lift

I've got and 08 2dr. I put a 3.5 in lift which came with new fixed front lower control arms. My return to center seems fine but when braking hard or taking a turn fast I'm not sure if I'm feeling body roll or what bit I'm kind of all over the road. What's my next step in steering to have a tougher response?

To be slightly more specific I installed the 3.5in rough country lift. I also installed a RC steering stabilizer.
I'm running 35in KO2's

(Not interested in the RC hatred associated with some.)

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2008 Jeep JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
jmcaldwell92
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Also running 28psi in my tires 315/70/17

2008 Jeep JK
post #3 of 8 Old 08-17-2017, 10:08 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
body roll would only be in corners.

so what did this kit add to the steering?

as you get above 3" the drag link and track bar get rather steep. this causes the steering input to be a bit vague.

two ways of doing this right. First the way some do it, perhaps your RC lift. A drop pit arm and a extension bracket to the frame side track bar mount. Horrible design. adds to the leverage point of the frame bracket that holds that track bar. It as well adds strain to the power steering box and its lower seal and bearing. as well to the sector shaft.

The better way is a Drag link flip(stock pit arm) and a raised axle side track bar mount. This flattens the angle at the steering by 3" and raise that trackbar a strong way up 3". this makes the roll center better, with a track bar/ pan hard it is best they are level but that will never be in a jeep. You can do the same in the rear on the track bar mount at the axle. As well this way wont add strain the power steering system.

On my 2 door i run synergy drag link flipped. you can as well run a stock right hand drive drag in a flipped on your left hand drive. BUT you still need the trackbar mount for the front axle. stock one is about half the cost if i recall of a heavier duty type. Night and day on handling and steering input.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 12:18 AM
K9kodi

Your probably feeling the same thing I am too after my 4" lift. No bump steer or death wobble but the steering is light and upon hard breaking likes to walk right. Everything I've read and researched says lower control arms need more adjustment or get geometry correcting brackets like jks or aev. The caster on jeeps is not adjustable And we need to work it back to stock tolerances
Wapiti_Hntr likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
jmcaldwell92
2008 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Gotcha. And yes that's exactly what it's doing.

2008 Jeep JK
post #6 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 05:56 AM
K9kodi

Yea, I'm gonna go the route of aev brackets. This thing doesn't see rocks, will never use the added benefit of a long arm system, brackets seem that they will fit the bill and aev has more adjustability. I've had a few people tell me that the brackets suck up ground clearance and can't take side loads from hitting rocks, not this jeep. I've got a couple atvs and my diesel for anything off-road
post #7 of 8 Old 08-18-2017, 10:52 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
have you measured the caster or is the just wack a mole............................ remember more caster that stock DS will die faster. you have arms that were made longer that was to correct caster you add the GEOS you will have to go back to stock arms or again ones that adjust.

measure or guess? what ever............

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #8 of 8 Old 08-20-2017, 05:13 AM
K9kodi

Thanks doc. I'll do...............whatever.
I'm not looking for huge changes here, just a little of adjustment and not fond of the adjustment cams.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.