Steering issues - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Then it's possible they over turned the adjuster and the wheel went 360º causing the pitman arm not to turn any further. Look at the orientation of the arm when the wheels are pointed straight. Pictures may help out.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:33 PM   #17
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

I tried to get pictures but it's telling me they are too big to upload to the forum (went as small as I could go) but the pictures showed showed how little the pitman arm actually moves from being straight to as far as I can go right. Not much movement at all.
BadBarret is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret View Post
I tried to get pictures but it's telling me they are too big to upload to the forum (went as small as I could go) but the pictures showed showed how little the pitman arm actually moves from being straight to as far as I can go right. Not much movement at all.
I'm going to help you out but you need to let your boss know that I am actually his boss now. He can call me daddy.

I'll go take a picture of where my pitman arm is sitting, disconnect your steering shaft, get it to where my pitman arm is in the picture I attach. Re-connect your steering shaft and then properly adjust your steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. Deal?

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:43 PM   #19
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Good? Hopefully this helps.

Unread 05-24-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Awesome, doing that was going to be my next question. I will try that later tonight at work. On another note the Dodge/Jeep dealership I had my alignment done at tore the **** out of my tie rod and drag link adjuster since they did it with a pipe wrench... Looks like $&#% now due to the gouges from the pipe wrench. Oh and they also took heat to the tie rod ends and that looks like poop also...fml
Unread 05-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret View Post
Awesome, doing that was going to be my next question. I will try that later tonight at work. On another note the Dodge/Jeep dealership I had my alignment done at tore the **** out of my tie rod and drag link adjuster since they did it with a pipe wrench... Looks like $&#% now due to the gouges from the pipe wrench. Oh and they also took heat to the tie rod ends and that looks like poop also...fml
Let me know how it works for you. It's time for you to start reading and researching your a$$ off. Don't let others touch your Jeep unless it's necessary! Goodluck

Unread 05-24-2013, 06:05 PM   #22
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok I'll give an update when I do that. Thanks for the help and advice!!
Unread 05-24-2013, 07:37 PM   #23
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Alright well I have measured to see if the front axle is centered and it is at least 3" toward the passenger side... Which doesn't make sense to ne because I thought when lifted the axle wants to move to the driver's side.
Unread 05-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #24
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBarret
Alright well I have measured to see if the front axle is centered and it is at least 3" toward the passenger side... Which doesn't make sense to ne because I thought when lifted the axle wants to move to the driver's side.
Evidently the installer doesn't know what "adjustable" track bars are for. That front track bar needs to be adjusted to pull the front end back to center. Trackbar is set too long. Did you measure the rear as well?
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #25
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post

Evidently the installer doesn't know what "adjustable" track bars are for. That front track bar needs to be adjusted to pull the front end back to center. Trackbar is set too long. Did you measure the rear as well?
Well I had some time at work so attempted to try and get the axle to however I was unable to move it as much as it needs(need another 3/4" to 1") Are there any tips or tricks to do this? The little amount I did get it to move did enable me to turn more to the right, about 3/4 turn vs 1/4 before.
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well fellas, the Dodge/Jeep dealership I had my alignment done at did it wrong...He are the results.. I'm no expert but I don't think gouges like this are normal. Let me know what you guys think.
imag0808.jpg   imag0810.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2013, 11:18 AM   #27
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

And as for them doing it wrong, they adjusted the wrong part of the tie rod. They turned the whole damn thing instead if the adjustment part on the driver side tie rod end. Plus they took heat to both sides.. My concern is that if you look closely at the passenger side tie rod end, yes its threaded in the tie rod but its also been clamped by the machine so its clearly not suppose to move. And with the heat and pipe wrench with a 2 foot extension they were using, I'm pretty sure it moved. You can see where they adjusted it(pipe wrench marks) and where they completely missed the actual spot they were suppose to.. Should I pursue this with them?
imag0809.jpg   imag0811.jpg  
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Talk about mass destruction
I would take this up with the service manager and demand new replacement parts. The attempt to align your Jeep was clearly done by amateur "mechanics" that have no real training or certification. If they are not fired on the spot the service manager fails at his job and this should be taken a step further, as high up the chain up to and including Chrysler Corp. to set this matter straight.
I would say that the attempt to loosen the swaged joint is clearly destructive and now compromised. It's just not safe to drive any more!

Good luck with this

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #29
BadBarret
2007 JK Wrangler 

Yeah exactly my thoughts. Unfortunately I was in a hurry to leave for work because I did not expect an alignment to take almost 3 hours. I stopped back there the next day and showed the general manager and he asked me to come back when the service manager is there(holiday weekend). So Tuesday I will be back there and five an update.
Unread 05-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #30
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

I see they are living up to the nationwide standard of sub par Chrysler mechanics. Please include the dealerships name in your next post so nobody makes the mistake of going to them in the future.

Choose your demands wisely knowing that the same grease monkeys will be replacing the same parts they ****ed up to begin with.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.