Steering issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering issue

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSteinjager TJ tube doors

Unread 05-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #1
JermeyManning

Steering issue

I just added rough country dual steering stabilizers to my jk. Rode great for 1.5 weeks then got into some mud, serpentine belt came off and shaft broke in power steering pump. I replaced the pump today and endured the stabilizers were washed incase they was full of mud.

Anyways I still don't have power steering (steering is extremely stiff). Any idea guys??

Last edited by JermeyManning; 05-07-2014 at 09:51 PM..
JermeyManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Did you put the belt back on correctly? It is possible you have the belt on wrong and the power steering pump is turning backwards.
Unread 05-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
JermeyManning

Yes I checked the diagram after your post to verify. I have it on correctly.
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #4
Butterbuddha
2010 JK Wrangler 

Not sure whats going on., but if you suspect your stabs you could always unbolt one end of each other them, give it a go. Have you checked your steering shaft? I shredded mine in the mud once, twisted it right in half!
Unread 05-07-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
JermeyManning

Thanks butter I'll check out those ideas tomorrow.
Unread 05-08-2014, 07:33 AM   #6
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

You just put a full body cast on a cut finger--

Immediately discard/sell/junk the Dual Stabilizers--they cause more trouble/wear/distress to your steering system--than any improvement !

Either reinstall your original Stab. or replace with a new stocker--

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 08:37 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you have damaged your steering box or have a bad ps hose. When it broke - it raised the pressure - which caused the pump to fail and throw the belt. Replacing the pump did NOT fix the problem that took the OE pump out.

If you got bound and were steering into the bind (which power steering will make easy) - you could have damaged the worm sector shaft and ball in the box. I have seen this many times when a race car just glances off the wall - the ball gets a flat spot and makes an over center bind in the box...

Possibly a hose collapsing internally acting as a check valve...
On Jack stands - run the steering through with no pwer - then with power. A badly collapsing hose will make it stiffer to steer when running - opposite what it should be.

Pop your steering bar loose (#8 in Diagram) and with the engine NOT running see how it feels to steer left/right. It should be as smooth in all spots (ie doesn't stiffen up across center or more in one direction).

EDIED: After thought - if the pump failed just because it was worn out (which happens but rarely would be a shaft break) it possible you plugged the system up with debris...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.