Steering Gear Adjustment - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Steering Gear Adjustment

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-01-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Steering Gear Adjustment

incase anyone was wondering, here's how to adjust your steering gear box:

STEERING GEAR
NOTE: Adjusting the steering gear in the vehicle is not recommended. Remove gear from the vehicle and drain the fluid. Then mount gear in a vise to perform adjustments.

OVER-CENTER

1. Rotate the stub shaft with Socket 8343 from stop to stop and count the number of turns.
2. Center the stub shaft by rotating it from the stop 1/2 of the total amount of turns.
3. Place torque wrench and Socket 8343 in a vertical position on the stub shaft. Rotate the wrench 45 degrees each side of the center and record the highest rotational torque in this range. This is the Over-Center Rotating Torque.
NOTE: The stub shaft must rotate smoothly without sticking or binding.

4. Rotate the stub shaft between 90 and 180 to the left of center and record the left off-center preload. Repeat this to the right of center and record the right off-center preload. The average of these two recorded readings is the Preload Rotating Torque.
5. The Over-Center Rotating Torque should be 0.45-0.80 Nm (4-7 in. lbs.) higher than the Preload Rotating Torque.
6. If an adjustment to the Over-Center Rotating Torque is necessary, first loosen the adjuster lock nut. Then turn the pitman shaft adjuster screw back (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) until fully extended, then turn back in (CLOCKWISE) one full turn.
7. Remeasure Over-Center Rotating Torque. If necessary turn the adjuster screw and repeat measurement until correct Over-Center Rotating Torque is reached.
NOTE: To increase the Over-Center Rotating Torque turn the screw CLOCKWISE.

8. Prevent the adjuster screw from turning while tightening adjuster lock nut. Tighten the adjuster lock nut to 37-52 Nm (27-38 ft. lbs.).

Unread 04-01-2010, 03:59 PM   #2
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Can't get simpler than that.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why would I need to adjust my steering gear, especially since it says it is not recommended?
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Why would I need to adjust my steering gear, especially since it says it is not recommended?
It's just not recommended to adjust it while it is still installed. There is no way to measure the results when still installed.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #5
premo
1992 XJ Cherokee 

its not recommended to do it on the rig....or if you dont know what you're doing. lol i have to as mine's WAY out of adjustment. it's really not that hard to do though..
Unread 04-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have heard that several people have adjusted it just 1/8 turn while still on their rig with no issues.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Is Socket 8343 a Mopar part number or an off the shelf part-store item?

Thanks for the write-up, it will come in usefull at some point

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
WATERMAN31
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nice write up. Will this adjustment help with "wondering"? My JK wonders all over the road and I'm not sure if its the Gear Box or my Lift or the Tires and Alignment? Not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
E:
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:40 PM   #9
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERMAN31
Nice write up. Will this adjustment help with "wondering"? My JK wonders all over the road and I'm not sure if its the Gear Box or my Lift or the Tires and Alignment? Not sure where to start. Any help is greatly appreciated.
E:
Did you correct the caster after after the lift?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #10
WATERMAN31
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had a 4 wheel alignment and they said it was with in spects. Is there a better adjustment for camber than factory? This thing really wonders around the highway.
Unread 06-14-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
TurtleSlinger
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERMAN31 View Post
I had a 4 wheel alignment and they said it was with in spects. Is there a better adjustment for camber than factory? This thing really wonders around the highway.
4 wheel alignment?

I thought with wranglers you can only do 2 wheel alignment...just saying....

I have had to do minor adjustments to my steering gear while on vehicle. I have had to adjust 1/8 turns clockwise twice. No issues. If anything has made the steering feel better.
07 MB AMG E63 "My 11 sec sedan" - modded
11 HD NightRod Special - modded
TurtleSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:50 AM   #12
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSlinger View Post
4 wheel alignment?

I have had to do minor adjustments to my steering gear while on vehicle. I have had to adjust 1/8 turns clockwise twice. No issues. If anything has made the steering feel better.
Most alignment shops check the alignment on the rear axle, too, even on vehicles with solid axles. Something can be bent, and checking all the angles will reveal that.

It's funny you said the adjustment made the steering feel better.
I just posted in another thread on this subject that the adjustment isn't a matter of just making it feel better. It's a matter of obtaining the correct pre-load.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #13
WATERMAN31
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yup, 4 wheel alignment, I have adjustable upper & lower control arms. They, the dealer, said all were in specs except one was just out of spec but shouldn't be a problem?!

Question, Pre Load, will that take out the "play" in the steering? It really wonders at like 55 to 70 mph.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATERMAN31 View Post
Yup, 4 wheel alignment, I have adjustable upper & lower control arms. They, the dealer, said all were in specs except one was just out of spec but shouldn't be a problem?!

Question, Pre Load, will that take out the "play" in the steering? It really wonders at like 55 to 70 mph.
If the pre-load is too loose, there will be play in the steering box.
That's not the only possible cause, though.
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #15
JkSteveNB
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleSlinger

4 wheel alignment?

Although most don't have any adjustments in the rear it's good practice to check the specs on the rear as well. Because although it isent adjustable it needs to be factored in. If you have some toe in or out in the rear this can cause dog tracking. So a thrust alingment is done using the rear axle as a starting point for adjusting the front. This in turn gives you little to no pull!
JkSteveNB is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.