Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #31
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
I don't care what anyone says. I use Mobil 1 & a good filter. Change it every 3k miles, change air every 6k. Oil comes out looking fresh & clean & jeep runs awesome at 99k miles. Replaced RMS at 70k. My Jeep is paid for, so I pay the extra cost to make sure things are kept in good running order. I'm in the business, so it's cheap for me. Anything over 5k feels way too long for an oil change.
Gee, if you've got a clean drain pan, I'll just buy a filter every 6K~ and use YOUR used oil, which will last probably another 10K (conditions pending). True synthetics do not absorb moisture, flow better, don't burn off and if not contaminated by an engine/fuel/air problem EASILY can go a year and a lot of miles. Many cars that are low mileage but, decent distance drivers easily go two years on synthetics. Just ananlyze the oil and see. Only in the US (primarily) are there even "oil change centers"/private garages" that even change oil! In Most countires I've been high grrade synthetics are spec'd/used and last a year 15K~ miles under AVERAGE use including cold european winters and HOT asian summers, all fine...

Personally I change mine annually after a 1/2 interval break-in (change at 3K then the synthetic in/annually at/and every 6K) but, my 5-6K miles a year and easy drivin probably mean I over do it as well. But, this aligns with the JK's 6K intervals for other services per the OM. My "yard man" then uses the used oil in his old Ford pickup after me! (Penzoil Platinum or M1 are fine oils at a good price). I run a nice Pure One (again, great filter for the $6-7, why overpay for others...) filter and never worry. When have you seen a motor problem due to oil? Me: not since the mid 70's and the terrrible 10W-40's and some 10W-30's from teh era or straight weights used in very cold temps, plus then we had carbs and chokes, all dilutng the oil/cold/dry starts at high RPM's, oils that didn't flow, sheared and sludged...Oils and engines have changed, all for the better!

Unread 12-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #32
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRICKTOP2 View Post
Yeah. Because that is such a viable long term business plan, right? I'd say it's relatively safe to say that the percentage of factual information in an owner's manual is pretty darn high. Maybe even higher than a thread on Jeepforum.com.
You might find an error every once in a while, but when it comes to maintenance intervals, I'd say sticking to their recommendation is a safe bet.
The problem is that too many people in the world have been brainwashed in to thinking that 99% of Business is evil and out to screw them... Except for the company they work for, they are in business to take care of all of the people that work there and they don't do a very good job of it... .

So is Jeep in business to make Junk that you are stupid enough to buy... and hopefully stupid enough to buy again and again? Or is it just possible that they are attempting to build a product and maybe even make a profit so they can stay in business. Don't forget that they have to meet thousands of safety standards + international regulations, CAFE standards, OSHA, not to mention build it with UAW labor! ... its amazing that they can actually still manufacture anything.

So go ahead and believe they intentionally want you to make it last 1 day past 50,000 miles because you are so stupid you'll just buy another one.

If you really believe this why do you own a Jeep?
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:18 PM   #33
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
You can't believe everything you read in the manual either. Manufacturers want your vehicle to last the length of your warranty + 1 day and no longer.
So why did they offer lifetime warranty?
As far as the manual.
Read your warranty coverage information.
If you do not do as the manual states or better they can and have denied warranty coverage.
Not just Chrysler, ALL manufacturers.
Unread 12-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #34
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
So why did they offer lifetime warranty?
As far as the manual.
Read your warranty coverage information.
If you do not do as the manual states or better they can and have denied warranty coverage.
Not just Chrysler, ALL manufacturers.
I answered this. Then I deleted it.

Good day to you sir.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #35
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
I don't care what anyone says. I use Mobil 1 & a good filter. Change it every 3k miles, change air every 6k. Oil comes out looking fresh & clean & jeep runs awesome at 99k miles. Replaced RMS at 70k. My Jeep is paid for, so I pay the extra cost to make sure things are kept in good running order. I'm in the business, so it's cheap for me. Anything over 5k feels way too long for an oil change.

What a waste of oil!
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #36
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
If you change you oil at the recommended intervals (and no, 3k is NOT the recommended interval!), 90% of the advantage of synthetic is removed. I change mine at 5k just because it keeps the math easy.
X2. Do not exceed the 6K interval in your manual if you wish to keep the lifetime powertrain warranty in force. Chrysler is very particular about following their requirements (before honoring a warranty claim).

I do 5K miles oil/filter change interval because it makes all of the other services line up nicely; it's also under the maximum of 6K specified in the manual. The 5.7L HEMI likes full synthetic better than dino oil (MDS performs better). However, I ran dealer dino oil and MOPAR oil filter for 30K miles during the break-in & 3/36 warranty period.

Although the synthetics probably last longer than dino oil before they breakdown, the particulate buildup, acid formation (condensation on short winter trips), and depletion of the oil's additive package are other influencing factors. With a 5K mile oil change target, I have some cushion if i can't do it "right-on-time".

As others have stated, today's oil formulations and additive packages are far superior to what they were in the 60's - 80"s. Any common sense maintenance regime you follow will be adequate.

Wish you the best with your Jeep & lotsa good miles.
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #37
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedsks View Post
What a waste of oil!
Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will not EVER hurt to change more frequently ...............
Prolonging failure is NEVER a waste .......... EVER !
All mechanical things WILL fail ...... when is the question .
Anything proactive you can do will increase the intervail of failure..............
Keep changing your oil ........... or don't ........... the one who does will go farther .............. no doubt !
07' Rubi Unlimited 6spd. , Rescue green #64 CDN , 35x12.5 mudders
Rick .
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 03:39 AM   #38
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

This is whats the makes the world go around around. Every one has a oppinion.

Your right it wont hurt, But any Name brand Dino oil can do that and not blink a eye.
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 08:43 PM   #39
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
Wrong !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will not EVER hurt to change more frequently ...............
Prolonging failure is NEVER a waste .......... EVER !
All mechanical things WILL fail ...... when is the question .
Anything proactive you can do will increase the intervail of failure..............
Keep changing your oil ........... or don't ........... the one who does will go farther .............. no doubt !
Wrong. This is the same logic that proves that exposure to small amounts of radiation will give you cancer.

You are wasting money and oil.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by armedsks View Post
What a waste of oil!
Oil is cheap,your engine is not.I change mine(and filter) with synthetic every 3k.I beta the snot out of my Jeep,at least I can do is change the vital fluids often.

This what I ran into 3 weeks ago at work,120k on the engine and the guy ran 10k OCI's with Castrol Syntec and Fram oil filters.It's at the junkyard now,sold as scrape.

I changed my oil that day and it only had about 1500 miles on it after seeing that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.