Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #16
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I just use dino oil......If it was a sports car engine or a any engine that actually cranks out some ponnies then I run a blend or pure synthetic. These 3.8L have been around forever and dont need any special treatment, they really arnt even made for it. A lot of performance engines like those in the 350z, G35, Vets, etc....run at a much higher compression and the oil is more important for cooling.

07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Here we go:
Syn and Dino oil change intervals ARE THE SAME.
I put syn in the day it came off the delivery truck.
I change it every 3k.
I never lose/burn ANY oil between oil changes.
Waiting until 7 or 10k is not wise since the manual states that it is no longer than 6k.
If you do wait until 10k to do oil changes and you have an engine problem under warranty they can and probaly will ask for maintanence records. If they are at 10k intervals you WILL be denied warranty.
I work at a dealer and I have seen it happen.
You can make your own decision on when and what but I am not that big of a penny pincher.
$36k plus investment is not worth skimping IMO.
Unread 12-03-2010, 07:56 AM   #18
badgerking
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm not changing my oil, ever. I tell her I am but I just spend the cash on a packet of air fresheners and a box of tissues , she thinks an oil change costs 6 bucks. I figure if I do this long enough then the engine will sieze and then I can put a Hemi in it, it's not like the wife knows that an engine shouldn't cost $15k
badgerking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #19
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerking View Post
I'm not changing my oil, ever. I tell her I am but I just spend the cash on a packet of air fresheners and a box of tissues , she thinks an oil change costs 6 bucks. I figure if I do this long enough then the engine will sieze and then I can put a Hemi in it, it's not like the wife knows that an engine shouldn't cost $15k
That right there has to be the strangest post I've seen yet....
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:05 AM   #20
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
Here we go:
Syn and Dino oil change intervals ARE THE SAME.
I put syn in the day it came off the delivery truck.
I change it every 3k.
I never lose/burn ANY oil between oil changes.
Waiting until 7 or 10k is not wise since the manual states that it is no longer than 6k.
If you do wait until 10k to do oil changes and you have an engine problem under warranty they can and probaly will ask for maintanence records. If they are at 10k intervals you WILL be denied warranty.
I work at a dealer and I have seen it happen.
You can make your own decision on when and what but I am not that big of a penny pincher.
$36k plus investment is not worth skimping IMO.
I didn't say don't change you oil until 10k, I said wait until 10k to switch to syn to give your engine a chance to break in.

And you're wrong, Synthetic oils allow you to go much longer between changes. My VW Jetta TDI uses one of the highest grades of synthetic oils available and the factory interval is 10k. I do 5k anyway, and I don't believe in the 3k\3month thing either.
I have actually done extensive research on oils as part of my job, but I'm not going to hijack this thread and go into a dissertation.

You can't believe everything you read in the manual either. Manufacturers want your vehicle to last the length of your warranty + 1 day and no longer. They want you buying vehicles, there's no money in building Zambonis.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #21
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

what's a "Zambonis" ?
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

If you change you oil at the recommended intervals (and no, 3k is NOT the recommended interval!), 90% of the advantage of synthetic is removed. I change mine at 5k just because it keeps the math easy.
jstrubberg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #23
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

Now a TDI is a European Diesel. The Libby and Grand Cherokee Diesel have 10k intervals.
The SRT model vehicles that require syn state the oil changes are to be done 3 to 6k.
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I don't care what anyone says. I use Mobil 1 & a good filter. Change it every 3k miles, change air every 6k. Oil comes out looking fresh & clean & jeep runs awesome at 99k miles. Replaced RMS at 70k. My Jeep is paid for, so I pay the extra cost to make sure things are kept in good running order. I'm in the business, so it's cheap for me. Anything over 5k feels way too long for an oil change.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #25
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
I don't care what anyone says. I use Mobil 1 & a good filter. Change it every 3k miles, change air every 6k. Oil comes out looking fresh & clean & jeep runs awesome at 99k miles. Replaced RMS at 70k. My Jeep is paid for, so I pay the extra cost to make sure things are kept in good running order. I'm in the business, so it's cheap for me. Anything over 5k feels way too long for an oil change.
It's your Jeep.
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #26
TJ06WRANGLER
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerking View Post
A long time friend of mine did the same thing. He changed the filter once a year, and added oil as needed. When he sold the car it had over 300,000 miles on it. Of course it was the venerable slant six, almost nothing will kill those engines. Not that I recommend it, but it worked for him.
TJ06WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #27
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstrubberg View Post
It's your Jeep.
Exactly! If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad.....right?

The Zambonie has gone down in history as the quintessential example of someone making a quality product and basically working themselves right out of a job.
The Zamboni is what they use to clean and resurface Ice skating rinks. Mr Zamboni invented his version of this machine and they sold great until there were no more ice rinks that needed them....
Then they never broke down and basically live (relatively) forever because of the light duty.

Oops.

Modern corporations work around this by employing "Down Designers". Basically engineers who's job it is to design parts to fail at a certain point. They work under the shroud of "cost effective manufacturing" but in reality, they are assuring a failure in a reasonable amount of time.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #28
Crasher
1997 ZJ 

Changing oil every 3000 or 6000 miles benefits the owners peace of mind more than it benefits the engine. Oil analysis will tell when to change oil. Synthetic oils tend to run to 15,000 miles before a change is recommended. Dino oils need replacing sooner, but I haven't seen any research that indicates when. The 3000 mile change interval is a carry over from the 1950s when oils and engines weren't what they are today. In the end, change oil when you just can't sleep at nights. That will be sooner than the engine needs it, but at least you won't be so tired.

Sorry for the hijack. Under normal use, dino oil is fine. Under extreme conditions syn might be better.
Unread 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #29
jstrubberg
2009 JK Wrangler 

I do 5k oil changes because I worry about particulates and my oil filter more than I worry about the oil.
Unread 12-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #30
BRICKTOP2
Unhingd PigFeedng Gangstr

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
You can't believe everything you read in the manual either. Manufacturers want your vehicle to last the length of your warranty + 1 day and no longer.
Yeah. Because that is such a viable long term business plan, right? I'd say it's relatively safe to say that the percentage of factual information in an owner's manual is pretty darn high. Maybe even higher than a thread on Jeepforum.com.
You might find an error every once in a while, but when it comes to maintenance intervals, I'd say sticking to their recommendation is a safe bet.

JK Build Thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/3...-build-545214/
TJ Tub Trailerhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f104/...tj-tub-568873/
BRICKTOP2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.