Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 12-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #1
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

Stealership insisting on using regular oil not synthetic

Been reading about oils that everyone use, has anyone kept the dealership oil as their default for oil changes?

Will it help my JK to switch to synthetic or half and half?

had first oil change at 1k, now i'm close to 4k and want to stick to one oil from this point on. Dealership says i don't need synthetic, makes no difference as long as i change the oil as it should be done.

Thanks

herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:03 PM   #2
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
Been reading about oils that everyone use, has anyone kept the dealership oil as their default for oil changes?

Will it help my JK to switch to synthetic or half and half?

had first oil change at 1k, now i'm close to 4k and want to stick to one oil from this point on. Dealership says i don't need synthetic, makes no difference as long as i change the oil as it should be done.

Thanks
They would be correct.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Unlimitedlou
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Search the forum. There are soooooooooooo many different opinions. I like synthetics.
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #4
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here we go again...

Unread 12-02-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
armedsks
2009 JK Wrangler 

You dont have to run synthetic. Todays Dino oil is much better than it was 20+ years ago. The best thing you can do is change it!!.. Most Dino oils can go 4-5k between oil changes no problem. Dealers and jiffy lube place's still push the 3k OCI because its extra income.

My wifes 08 liberty we use dino at 3k OCI since we get free lifetime oil/filter changes. I run Synthetic oil in my 09 JK and do my changes 6-9k miles OCI's I buy what ever walmart has on sale or the auto parts store(q-horse power, pennzoil platinum, mobil 1 etc. etc. Make sure to use a quality oil filter/ (mopar, motorcraft purolator etc.) Dont use Fram orange cans if you plan to go more than 3k OCI'S.

To me it makes more since to run synthetic and change oil 6-9K than running Dino oil. I can buy name brand synthetic and a good oil filter and change it myself for under 30$

I have the lifetime power train warranty and i plan on keeping this until the US outlaws fossil fuels!!!
armedsks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wouldn't worry about it yet as your vehicle is not completely broken in yet anyway, but at/around the 10k mark or so, I would personally request a synthetic blend. I have never had a dealer dictate to me what to put in, it's supposed to go the other way.
The only thing you buy with a synthetic is a little extra protection in the off chance that you do encounter seriously punishing conditions for your engine such as crawling in Moab in the dead of summer, or extreme towing.
The other thing you buy is a tiny buffer zone in the event of some type of catastropic engine failure, say, your oil pump failing, or filter popping off.
If you live in a perfect world, then go with the regular organic, it's fine for everyday use, commuting, and mall crawling. I like the peace of mind that a blend gives me.
There is really nothing you can do in one of these to seriously warrant a full synthetic.

Oh, and what he said ^^^^ about a quality filter...I agree completely!
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
TJ06WRANGLER
2007 JK Wrangler 

The dealership cannot tell you what to use for oil or filters. They do have to meet manufacturer specs for warranty compliance. Went to court on that one and won.

Personally I don't care for synthetics, I prefer fossil oil. The one thing I can tell you though is use the same oil at all times. I have seen engines use a lot of oil by using what's on sale all the time. I sold parts for 30 years and every time I convinced someone to use the same oil all the time their consumption went down.

Of course someone is going to say that is all garbage. I just know what I know and will adhere to it for all time for myself. Also I have never lost an engine because of oil, I always lost them from over revving or over loading them.
TJ06WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

It doesn't matter.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:08 PM   #9
slimtim454
2010 JK Wrangler 

So manual calls for oil change every 6k miles. That seems too long to go, should I be changing oil before 6k?
slimtim454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

On my 2006 TJ, I asked an experienced Jeep tech at a dealership when I could switch to synthetic and he answered conservatively at 30,000 to make sure the rings seat properly. Like I said, that's a conservative answer. Many new vehicles come with synthetic when new but there are many different engines with different engineering build tolerances. I'd stick with what the manufacturer recommends to avoid warranty issues.
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
allibaster
2013 JK Wrangler 

You should use whatever is specified in the user manual, which is non-synthetic. You'd just be wasting your money otherwise.

The same could be said regarding fuel octane rating.
Unread 12-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimtim454 View Post
So manual calls for oil change every 6k miles. That seems too long to go, should I be changing oil before 6k?
The on-board computer tells you when to change oil. A notification will light up on the gage cluster that tells you when to change oil based on your driving habits and conditions.
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

They don't want you to wait for 10k oil changes like people that use syn do. I've got 59k on ours. Started syn at 5k and now change every 10k. No problem, no issues.
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #14
herculz
2010 JK Wrangler 

considering i've had my jk maybe a month and haven't even received my plates yet and im at 3700 miles, most highway miles, minimum of 100 per day so looking to see what options i have.
herculz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #15
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculz View Post
considering i've had my jk maybe a month and haven't even received my plates yet and im at 3700 miles, most highway miles, minimum of 100 per day so looking to see what options i have.
With those kind of highway miles, you're going to be fine with an organic oil....
That's some serious driving you're doing!!

You've still got a ways to go before you even need to think about it, but you are checking your oil level aren't you???? (with all the oil consumption issues we've seen around here..)
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.