Well at least on 4 wheels so far. I'll probably do the 5th today as I am awaiting the wheel from UPS.
I installed the Staun Products
bead locks into 4 wheels yesterday and mounted 4 35x17x12.5 BFG MT TA
on Cragar 342 D Ring styled black steelies 17 x 8
I have never mounted this sized tire before and the biggest in the past was just a little ATC tire that only required a little arm to get the tires on the wheels. Thankfully my friend owns an auto repair shop and was willing to let me give it a whirl with some instruction. It's not as hard as it seems but also not as easy as it looks.
Installing the Staun Bead Lock was pretty straight forward after watching the included install video and reading the included install instructions. All of which are available for you to preview on the Staun website. Needless to say I didn't take any pictures because there was not much else really to see.
To me the hard hard was actually getting my hand inside the tire to push the inner tube valve stem into the hole I drilled into the wheels. Everything else went fairly smoothly.
The first wheel took about 30 minutes and this did not include drilling the wheel as I had done that prior to arriving at the shop where the tires were mounted on the wheels. It isn't very complicated but there is limited space to work and with hands my size it just takes a little more maneuvering. I have to add this caveat, having your hands plastered with chalk or baby powder doesn't really help in the finger gription department. I dropped the valve stem nuts more than once and one time into the wheel and got to search for it.
By the time I had finished the third tire I was on a roll and had the system down pat or so I thought. The third wheel took between 10 to 15 minutes to install so practice was making perfect.
By the fourth tire I was tired. It was at the end of a long 16 hour day and I missed an important step. Which was to make sure the tube was free inside the outer bead lock case. I got the tire mounted up with a little difficulty and the old rule of if it isn't going smooth something is wrong should apply because I should have double checked everything instead of pressing forward. I started airing up the inner tire and got to near 45 pounds when POP and not the good bead sitting POP either. Apparently I had pinched the tube between the wheel and the outer bead lock case.
Oh well it holds air and the 4 35's can be taken to Nth today so they can mount them and test out the flexing on the new 4+ lift they are installing on my JK. When I get the JK back I'll dismount the tire and re-install a new tube. Lesson learned, take your time and if it isn't going smoothly something is wrong.
I am looking forward to testing these out in Moab as I have about 19 days left before I arrive there.
Now to call Staun and test out customer service and see how much a replacement tube is.