Startup Grinding Noise - What is it? Video Included - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Startup Grinding Noise - What is it? Video Included

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 08-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
UTKJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Startup Grinding Noise - What is it? Video Included

Anyone know what this grinding noise is? More noticeable during morning start-up.

YouTube (Short URL)
?start=" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>

Jump to:
@:19
@ :55
@ 1:15

UTKJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 12:40 AM   #2
tanstaafl
2010 JK Wrangler 

video is busted but i bet its a horrible whirring grinding noise right as she cranks...mine was doing it, turned out to be the one way bearing in the starter..quick and easy fix by replacing the starter..
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yup, video link is bad.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:54 AM   #4
Cooneys08JK
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTKJK View Post
Anyone know what this grinding noise is? More noticeable during morning start-up.

http://youtu.be/eWWQH8sFbTU

Jump to:
@:19
@ :55
@ 1:15
try this

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

A weld busted on my oil pan skid that rattled during certain RPMs and temperatures (especially during morning start-ups). Double-check those welds perhaps.
nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Ya, not sure either. Do you wheel it?

One thing to check if you do: I had a rattling sound only when in reverse, usually only when cold. It ended up being a skid plate that got bent and was contacting the exhaust. I made a video also. I won't post it here because then people might mistake my noise for yours...
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.