Starts then shuts off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Starts then shuts off

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Craigs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Starts then shuts off

I have a 2010 Unlimited Rubicon. Its an automatic with about 36K miles on it. Some times (more often recently) I will turn the key and the engine starts and revs a little then shuts off. It will go through this cycle three of four times before it finally stays running. This rarely happens when the jeep has sat for a long time. More typically it is when I've run to the store or other short trip and then shut the engine down. When I come out and try to start it this cycle begins. I've read about battery issues but this is a new battery and when the jeep sits for any length of time it is on a battery tender. It also never just clicks as with the grounding issue or the Range sensor problem. Not saying they couldn't cause this problem as well, but mine starts each time then shuts off. Did I ever mention I hate computers. Old engines are so much easier to keep running.

Craigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #2
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Others that have had a similar issue traced it back to the transponder recognition in the steering column. Most have been able to "reset" the computer by disconnecting the battery for around 20 or 30 minutes (?), then the problem went away. If you have the other key, try it to see if it does the same thing. If both keys do this, reset the computer. If it's just the one key, follow the instructions to "reprogram" the one key that isn't working as well...
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

When there is a key recognition problem with the Wireless Control Module, (WCM), the WCM can be reset, without disconnecting the battery, by pulling up on the plastic bracket that surrounds the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse, as shown in the picture below.
Pull up on the bracket to its stop, wait a minute, them push it down to re-seat it.

ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

There is a factory service action to address this issue, which affects '07 - '09 JKs. Involves a new WCM and new keys. Should be gratis. In the interim the fix ronjenx shows above works fine.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Craigs
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a try, and I'll check with the local dealer for the service action.
Craigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.