Starting problem: crazy clicking under fusebox - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Starting problem: crazy clicking under fusebox

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!

Unread 05-02-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
birdinmalibu
2009 JK Wrangler 

Starting problem: crazy clicking under fusebox

I'm guessing this should be an easy solve. Video attached shows what I'm getting as 2009 JK goes through starting sequence. It continues to try, even after key is out.

http://youtu.be/kz-Fpdr6UNY

Thanks for your help.

birdinmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 01:49 AM   #2
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

sounds like u need a new battery or a new starter
Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:02 AM   #3
BruceM1964
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have a dodge pickup that is now my plow truck, it does the exact same thing when I don't keep the battery charged up. Don't know why but mopar does some crazy stuff when there is a dead battery, like the truck is possessed.
BruceM1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2014, 06:45 AM   #4
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Likely time for a new battery. JKs do some strange things when voltage or amp draw gets low...and a clicking starter relay is one of the signs. Enough voltage to close relay but not enough amperage to turn starter...now, may the battery threads begin.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmalibu View Post
It continues to try, even after key is out.
Disconnect the battery for 30 seconds... mine has done something like this twice in three years, my brother's once.
Unread 05-05-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
birdinmalibu
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks all. It was the battery. However, I spent a few hours Saturday charging it to 100% and then it still didn't turn over. The dash lights were doing all kinds of crazy things. Never the same pattern twice. The headlights came on fine, everything seemed like it wasn't the battery. I thought - for a second - you guys were crazy.

Then when AAA came to tow it to the Jeep Doc, we decided to jump it just in case. It fired right up. So all is good now. Thank you Forum Friends.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum app. If you can read this, it works.
birdinmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2014, 07:03 AM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmalibu View Post
Thanks all. It was the battery. However, I spent a few hours Saturday charging it to 100% and then it still didn't turn over. The dash lights were doing all kinds of crazy things. Never the same pattern twice. The headlights came on fine, everything seemed like it wasn't the battery. I thought - for a second - you guys were crazy.

Then when AAA came to tow it to the Jeep Doc, we decided to jump it just in case. It fired right up. So all is good now. Thank you Forum Friends.

Sent from my phone using JeepForum app. If you can read this, it works.
Leave her on a charger overnight to top off the battery!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.