Stains on painted white fenders - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stains on painted white fenders

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 08-21-2013, 10:00 AM   #16
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

I’d say the logical thing to do would be to buff it out, perhaps add some kind of wax and stay the heck out from under that tree.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #17
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I’d say the logical thing to do would be to buff it out, perhaps add some kind of wax and stay the heck out from under that tree.
I think that's probably the solution, but it's still disconcerting that I'm just a few birds-on-a-bender away from having a stained fender again. How many times can I buff it out before I run out of paint?
rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #18
Mello03
2013 JK Wrangler 

Buffing depends on how thick the clearcoat is. It would take a while to get through it with regular polish, but aggressive stuff or wet sanding not as long. I can't imagine them not being cleared as the gloss wouldn't match and the paint wouldn't stand a chance. Clean them up good and try a product called Rejex. It's good stuff.
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #19
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

What did you use to paint them? Any body filler to make the plastic smooth? Just curious

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
What did you use to paint them? Any body filler to make the plastic smooth? Just curious
Ask Chrysler (or maybe Fiat). These are the factory white fenders. If it was my own paintjob, I would just re-do it and try something different. With this being the factory paint on the white fenders, I am more inclined to have them fix it.
Unread 08-21-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ohh for some reason I got the idea you painted them yourself.. my apologies. Ive had bird poop on mine and nothing was left behind.. I would go back and take them in, thats just ridiculous

"Water covers 3/4 of the earth, Jeep covers the rest"
MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
starscream
1981 CJ5 

The paint on the fenders has to be a little different mix than the body because it will have a flex agent added to it to keep the paint from cracking and flaking off the plastic. That's usually just in the base coat, though. I suppose it could be single stage unlike the body. Perhaps it's the flex agent that's being stained.
starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:20 PM   #23
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
Ohh for some reason I got the idea you painted them yourself.. my apologies. Ive had bird poop on mine and nothing was left behind.. I would go back and take them in, thats just ridiculous
That's what I'm thinking. I'm taking it back to the dealership and see what they say.
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #24
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

rjl,

Here’s something I found that might interest you about bird poop. Scroll down to #6 post, its kinda long but looks like it has lots of info on the subject.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:54 PM   #25
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
rjl,

Here’s something I found that might interest you about bird poop. Scroll down to #6 post, its kinda long but looks like it has lots of info on the subject.
Thanks. That looks very helpful.

In a previous career I had some expereince with 3M paint protection film. My other thought, if the dealership route doesn't give me any satisfaction, was to put that on top of the fenders. But the fenders are curved and my application skills are rusty (if I had any in the first place), so a good wax solution would be best.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.