Stains on painted white fenders - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Stains on painted white fenders

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineLabor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-20-2013, 12:01 PM   #1
rjl

Stains on painted white fenders

Over the course of the last two weeks I have been getting stains on the painted white fenders of my 2013 Jeep JK Unlimited Sahara.

The source is bird (or possibly squirrel) droppings. When they fall onto the painted white hardtop or the body sheetmetal, they can be easily washed away without leaving any stains whatsoever. But when they fall onto the painted white feders, they stain almost immediately. Washing them away leaves this:

This (admittedly crappy) picture was taken last night after I washed the poop off of the fender. The poop had only been there for about 2 or 3 hours. the poop was also on the body side panel immediately above the feder, as well as the top of the roof, but as you can see there are no stains there.

What I have tried to remove the stain, but had no effect whatsoever:

Soap.
Bug and tar remover.
WD40
Clay bar.

The only thing that works is rubbing compound. But I feel like there is a defect in the fender paint itself, especially considering all the other painted surfaces on the Jeep easily resist whatever it is that's staining the fenders. I don't want to have to use a buffer and grind paint away every time a bird craps on my jeep. There seems to be something wrong here.

Any ideas? Anyone else with the same problem?

rjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #2
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Dang.. I would have said clay bar, but you've already tried that. Only suggestion I have for you is a good named (Meguiar's) "Paint Cleaner" to see if it will work. You local auto-parts store should have this stuff. If not, then their Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound. In either case, be sure to follow up with a good layer of wax.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
ncb

If it's only staining the fenders it must be due to the fenders having a different clear coat or no clear coat. A good coat of wax is probably the only way to prevent or minimize the staining. Are you parking under a tree or are the birds perched on the hardtop crapping on the fenders?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
If it's only staining the fenders it must be due to the fenders having a different clear coat or no clear coat. A good coat of wax is probably the only way to prevent or minimize the staining. Are you parking under a tree or are the birds perched on the hardtop crapping on the fenders?
It was parked under a tree when this happened, but it's normally parked in a garage.

The painted fenders are a perfect match to the paint and gloss on the rest of the body. My first thought was that it had to be the same paint, but there's obviously something different. The top is fiberglass and the body is sheetmetal, and the paint on both of those is perfectly fine. The fenders, however, are a mess.
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I find that, with my 2012 factory white painted fenders, driving along some heavy brush, or brushing along the side of a couple trees seems to minimize the concern about stains.....
Good luck though. It seems like the paint on the fenders is pretty poor in general.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
On our 2013 (Anvil), I noticed that there was very little wax from the beginning, less so on the fenders. Dirt spots "stuck" to the whole vehicle, but more so on the fenders. I noticed this within the first week, and spent hours getting a good layer of wax on it, and a RainX treatment. As I was waxing, I already noticed water spot/"stains" on the horizontal surfaces. Later this year (before winter), I'll end up doing a clay bar treatment, and if needed, the Water Spot remover from Meguiar's, then waxing it again (my wax of choice is Meguiar's Synthetic one.. "Ultimate")
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
ncb

Cars don't leave the factory with a wax job. I wonder if the paint on the fenders is a single stage paint vs. a base coat clear coat system.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:03 PM   #8
rjl

Our Jeep was waxed at the dealership a few days after we took it home. It was waxed again a week ago today.

I was wondering if there isn't a clear coat on the fenders, but the finish and gloss is so identical to the rest of the body I was initially inclined to think it was the same thing. The more I think about it, however, the more I am certain that just cannot be the case.
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:41 AM   #9
rayder1

That's why I went with black fenders and roof. My black fenders hold mud stains like crazy. As do the stock bumpers. I'm just guessing its a jeep thing.

If you off roaded enough in the past, you might not have gone with fender or roof paint. Those are the things you scrape the most and need to be ugly with purpose.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

after you find a way to clean them return to the spot of the crime and enact some street justice on the perpetrator.
Unread 08-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #11
bbermann
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had the same problem and found bug and tar remover works wonders for this.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
That's why I went with black fenders and roof. My black fenders hold mud stains like crazy. As do the stock bumpers. I'm just guessing its a jeep thing.

If you off roaded enough in the past, you might not have gone with fender or roof paint. Those are the things you scrape the most and need to be ugly with purpose.
Sorry, but I like the painted fenders more than I like the black.

Yes, I have off-roaded in the past. This is my 4th Jeep, and I have also owned and off-roaded a Land Rover, 3 Land Cruisers, and an IHC Scout. I also take care of my vehicles and don't see scratches or dents as "battle scars." I see them as flaws and I get them fixed. My dictionary does not contain the term "ugly with purpose." Things can be both functional and aesthetically pleasing. If they can only be one or the other, then they are lazy.

In my eye, this is a flaw. It's a big flaw, and it appears as if it's a flaw from the factory. That a vehicle cannot even withstand bird poop seems in clear opposition to the particular purpose for which it was intended. I shouldn't have to get black fenders simply because the white ones cannot withstand bird poop. The white ones should just simply withstand bird poop because they are an exterior component on a vehicle and bird poop is a reasonably foreseeable occurrence.

Off-road scratches and battle scars might be a consideration for some discussion, but not this discussion.
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #13
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbermann View Post
I had the same problem and found bug and tar remover works wonders for this.
Thanks, but I tried that a long time ago. See the OP.
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #14
rayder1

Geez...okay. If you like them...you like them. I don't nor do some other people. And other people like them. I wasn't trying to smack down your 4 wheeling knowledge. I just pointed out the tactical vs practical point of view.
rayder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
rjl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayder1 View Post
Geez...okay. If you like them...you like them. I don't nor do some other people. And other people like them. I wasn't trying to smack down your 4 wheeling knowledge. I just pointed out the tactical vs practical point of view.
No offense. I understand what you are saying and believe there are different courses for different horses. You like black, I like white. TomAto. Tomaaaato.

I just think that, while the white fenders might not withstand scratches from trees and other brush, they sure as hell should withstand some bird poop, or at least the same bird poop as the rest of the vehicle can easily withstand.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.