squeeking clutch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > squeeking clutch

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #1
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

squeeking clutch

So for the last little while my clutch squeeks when depressed. It sounds like it is the linkage. I crawled under and had my wife depress the clutch and I am almost sure it is the linkage. How can a lube it as I can't even see it. Any ideas or anyone else have a similar situation?

liveflatout is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Does it squeak WHILE you're depressing it, or while it's depressed? There is a cable and slave cylinder, not really a whole lot to lube.
Throwout bearing comes to mind..
Lay under it (engine off please) and have her run the clutch...all the moving parts should be obvious.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #3
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Mine does it...squeaks while you're depressing it.

Bugs the crap out of me, and I'm open to suggestions too!
Unread 09-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

Only while depressing the clutch. Sounds like the linkage. But can't see it as it is on top of the trans
Unread 09-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #5
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

No ones knows how to access the linkage??
Unread 09-05-2012, 05:54 AM   #6
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's the clutch master cylinder. I'm assuming the "linkage" you are referring to is piston assembly that attaches the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal. That can be greased if you can get a needle fitting past the boot but it is a complete PITA just trying to contort your body underneath there. The whole master/slave cylinder assembly is a hydraulic system that runs using the brake fluid.

My 07 did exactly what you are describing and I had to replace the clutch master cylinder. I think it cost $90 including parts and labor but I had a local mechanic do it as opposed to the dealership.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #7
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4jkx
It's the clutch master cylinder. I'm assuming the "linkage" you are referring to is piston assembly that attaches the clutch master cylinder to the clutch pedal. That can be greased if you can get a needle fitting past the boot but it is a complete PITA just trying to contort your body underneath there. The whole master/slave cylinder assembly is a hydraulic system that runs using the brake fluid.

My 07 did exactly what you are describing and I had to replace the clutch master cylinder. I think it cost $90 including parts and labor but I had a local mechanic do it as opposed to the dealership.
Thank you I did not find that in my original search but when I search clutch master cylinder I found all the info needed. Again thanks
Unread 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveflatout View Post
Thank you I did not find that in my original search but when I search clutch master cylinder I found all the info needed. Again thanks
If any solutions were given, please link them here...if you don't mind!
Unread 09-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #9
liveflatout
2007 JK Wrangler 

Am I allowed to post links to other Jeep forums? As those are the places where I found all of the disscusstions on replacing/bleeding clutch master cylinders and the reasons they had to replace them.

Basically everyone is describing the same noise as I have and the fix is replacing the clutch master cylinder and bleeding it.
Unread 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM   #10
4x4jkx
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveflatout

No problem. Removing the cylinder isn't too bad. It attaches to the pedal on a little ball joint. Pop that off and the pedal is free. To get it out of the firewall I think its a quarter turn counter-clockwise. Don't forget the hoses. Pop the new one in in jeep in reverse order and bleed the system. You should be good to go after that.
4x4jkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
oO_Rogue_Oo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Before you pull it all apart you might try greasing the pedal return spring under the dash. Quieted mine down.
Unread 09-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #12
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Is that the big round spring I can barely see?

I've only briefly looked...
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #13
oO_Rogue_Oo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadTrainDriver View Post
Is that the big round spring I can barely see?

I've only briefly looked...
That would be the one
Unread 09-06-2012, 11:37 PM   #14
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by liveflatout View Post
Am I allowed to post links to other Jeep forums? As those are the places where I found all of the disscusstions on replacing/bleeding clutch master cylinders and the reasons they had to replace them.

Basically everyone is describing the same noise as I have and the fix is replacing the clutch master cylinder and bleeding it.
Links to other sites are O.K. if the info can't be found here.
Please let us know what you do to fix it and post some pictures of your project!

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.