Squealing/whistling noise under load - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Squealing/whistling noise under load

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Squealing/whistling noise under load

Posted over on JK forum too to get other insight as well. Whats your all thoughts on this?

Long story short, my dad was going to trade in his low miles 07 rubi (21,000) for a 12 because it started squealing under load at mid throttle and 3 dealers couldnt find the cause. He offered it cheap to me, lower than the dealer was going to give him. They thought it was like a throw out bearing, or clutch disc problem. Only happened under 1/2 throttle right around 1500-2000rpm, most noticeable in 4th gear or higher. When the noise occurred, if you rapidly depressed the throttle or let off of it the noise would go away instantly. Clutch never slipped or seemed to have any problems.

Fast forward to today after using my Chassis ears which are remote transmitters that you connect clamps to places you think make noise and you can track down the problem. I think a must for every Jeep owner! hahaha. Anyways, I started with the running grear, trans, bell housing, transfer case and nothing..........Kinda sounded like a intake suction noise in a way....So I threw all 6 sensor clamps on the plastic intake and BOOM found my noise in the intake tract. Now what? Why is whistling/squealing all the sudden, small vacuum leak? I did a BG throttle body cleaning and still the noise......Jeep has a AEM intake but my Dad said it starting making the noise somewhat before the install.

Anybody make an all aluminum intake? Maybe throw one of those tornado spirals in the intake tube?

Unread 08-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
mongorunner
2010 JK Wrangler 

When you say its a sqeal like noise, does it kind of mimic a exhaust gasket leak?
mongorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongorunner View Post
When you say its a sqeal like noise, does it kind of mimic a exhaust gasket leak?
i know what an exhaust leak sounds like. This is more like a whistling suction squeal sound. Almost like a dry bearing noise in a way. not a puffing exhaust leak.
Unread 08-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #4
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Tensioner pulley is one possibility.

Any chance of putting the stock intake back on?
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Like Prot suggests--Could be Tension pulley bushing/water pump pulley bushing/Alternator pulley bushing -

I've never heard of an inyake manifold causing a "squeling"-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #6
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Why didn't you help out your dad with your equipment before he sold it to you?
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Like Prot suggests--Could be Tension pulley bushing/water pump pulley bushing/Alternator pulley bushing -

I've never heard of an inyake manifold causing a "squeling"-

Good luck

JIMBO
Cold air intakes make funky sounds on the 3.8L which has been described in various ways including like a cat being skinned alive.

Cold air intake, not the intake manifold.
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, I've heard of different "whooshing/whistling sounds", but not squealing sounds--and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Cold air intakes make funky sounds on the 3.8L which has been described in various ways including like a cat being skinned alive.

Cold air intake, not the intake manifold.
We can't hearit, so I hope he finds the culprit !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOX
Yeah, I've heard of different "whooshing/whistling sounds", but not squealing sounds--and

We can't hearit, so I hope he finds the culprit !

JIMBO
Hope he has the lobes for it.

(nerdy Ferengi reference)
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input. My dad is mailing me the stock intake so I can try that. Tensioner or water pump or bearing would squeal all the time you think or change with rpm. This is just a quick whistling kinda sound just at a certain rpm and only at 1/2 throttle as posted above. I tried to make 5 gopro vids from the engine compartment to the drivers seat but it can't pick up the noise for some reason. I'll keep trying it in diff places this weekend to see if it will catch it.
Unread 08-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #11
ZIMM18
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
Why didn't you help out your dad with your equipment before he sold it to you?
He lives in VA, I'm 6000 miles away in Hawaii
Unread 01-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
David64

Status? I am having the same issue, 2000 Sahara 4.0L with K&N cold-air intake. The cold air has been installed over 3 years, the "whistling" sound only recently started. I'm pulling my hair out trying to identify it. Mechanic friends say doubtful clutch related. Water pump, fan clutch, and idler pulley 6 months ago new. Have not replaced tensioner pulley.... yet, but I was starting to lean towards that when I came across this thread.
David64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.