Squealing noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Squealing noise

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
billycj7

Squealing noise

I have a squealing noise while the Jeep is running. It is a slightly faint squeal kinda sounds like a loose belt......funny thing is, if I push in the clutch a tad bit, the noise goes away. I read the other threads about a noise while shifting but mine seems like just the opposite. Any ideas?

billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 05:12 PM   #2
JKSteve

I'm experiencing the same thing...I can hear a little squeal when I'm in 2nd and 3rd, but it goes away by 4th. When the clutch is in I hear nothing.
JKSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
jimhut2000

There is a TSB for this problem, cant remember what the number is but I believe there is a thread on this site that explains.

I think it as something to do with the preload on the throw out bearing?

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycj7
I have a squealing noise while the Jeep is running. It is a slightly faint squeal kinda sounds like a loose belt......funny thing is, if I push in the clutch a tad bit, the noise goes away. I read the other threads about a noise while shifting but mine seems like just the opposite. Any ideas?
Unread 04-27-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
dustyJK

There is a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) for this issue caused by incorrect Preload on the Clutch Throw-Out Bearing. I just got mine back for this issue. Two days of driving a crappy neon rental.... worst two days of my life.... it smelled terrible!!
dustyJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2007, 09:44 PM   #5
billycj7

thanks for the advice. I went to projecktjk and loked for it and it was there. Thanks again!
billycj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
andru_50

Same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by billycj7

So basically i have the same problem...high pitch squeel when idleing... i just have a question about the TSB..where can i find this information about the incorrect preload on the clutch throw-out bearing??
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
andru_50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
zilla1
Bumbles bounce!

2008 JK Wrangler 

You should find all of the TSB's on this site.

http://www.project-jk.com

Good luck.

The Kat

Jeeps of the past:
'88 Black YJ - died a firey death
'97 Green TJ - brief but torrid affair
'98 Black TJ - the best and longest relationship of my life
Jeep of the present-(Finally):
'08 Black Rubicon 2dr., 6spd., deep tint dual tops, power group, supplemental air bags, trailer tow and Mygig.
zilla1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #8
JKSteve

Awesome, this is spot on...I did the diagnostic test on the TSB, and it did it exactly as documented.

I'll get this taken care of when they put on my new tires and SS exhaust. Thanks for the tip!
JKSteve is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
dvachon

Squeal in Automatic Transmission

I understand that this is a problem for manual transmissions, but my automatic has a squeal when I am under mild load in any gear. Itís barely noticable in 1st, but by the time itís in 4th, itís really loud. If I let off the accelerator, it goes away completely. If I accelerate quickly, there is no noise. Any ideas?
dvachon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
Skeezer
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Could be a bad clutch fan, or pulley
Unread 04-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
trips
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvachon
I understand that this is a problem for manual transmissions, but my automatic has a squeal when I am under mild load in any gear. Itís barely noticable in 1st, but by the time itís in 4th, itís really loud. If I let off the accelerator, it goes away completely. If I accelerate quickly, there is no noise. Any ideas?
I have the exact same noise in my automatic. I called a dealer and he said that he has heard of this before, but couldn't tell me exactly what it was. He said it could be the compressor, which he said was louder than he would like. Anyway, he said that if I wanted I could get it checked out when I brought it in for my next service (I have about 2300 miles on it).

I also get a slight rattling feeling in the gas pedal and steering wheel when I ride over bumpy spots in the road. Has anyone noticed that before?
trips is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
dvachon

Quote:
Originally Posted by trips
I have the exact same noise in my automatic. I called a dealer and he said that he has heard of this before, but couldn't tell me exactly what it was. He said it could be the compressor, which he said was louder than he would like. Anyway, he said that if I wanted I could get it checked out when I brought it in for my next service (I have about 2300 miles on it).

I also get a slight rattling feeling in the gas pedal and steering wheel when I ride over bumpy spots in the road. Has anyone noticed that before?
After reading another post about their aftermarket cold air intake "squeals like a pig", I believe this problem is due to the 3.8L air intake. The noise may be present with the stock air filter, but is amplified by after market C.A.I.'s. There appears to be no solution to this problem. Maybe this discussion could be moved to thread "CAI squeals like a pig".
dvachon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.