Squeak After Leveling Kit Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Squeak After Leveling Kit Install

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 01-17-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Squeak After Leveling Kit Install

So I installed the Teraflex leveling kit (spacers) and now I have a really annoying squeak when accelerating out of a shift (manual trans). I can't reproduce it by pumping the brakes, only by pumping the gas and getting the Jeep to rock back and forth that way. When I put the kit on I didn't loosen all the control arm bolts, but I've since gone back and loosened, rocked the Jeep and retorqued them all.

It seems to be coming from the passenger side front. If I stand in front and get her rocking back and forth, I get sort of a clicking sound from the same area (which I guess under load could be the squeak). I'm going to recruit a neighbor to push on it so I can crawl under and see where that click is coming from to see if that's the culprit.

Just looking for suggestions in the mean time of what you think could be causing it. I don't want this to be a "turn on the radio and it will go away" fix. Sometimes I like to drive and just listen to the Jeep.

Thanks, 2012 2 door Sahara btw.

jddausch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:19 AM   #2
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just for a little more info...it only squeaks as I accelerate after shifting. If I REALLY feather the clutch and ease it out smoothly it's quiet. Or if I hit the gas hard in a lower gear and get it to rock back I'll hear it then too. I just did hat as a test, I generally drive her like an old lady.
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Did you reinstall the factory spring isolators? Also, if you canít seem to find the clicking and squeaking try removing the top bolts of your sway bar links one at a time and see if the noises go away. Thatís how I found basically the same noises youíre describing.
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Did you reinstall the factory spring isolators? Also, if you canít seem to find the clicking and squeaking try removing the top bolts of your sway bar links one at a time and see if the noises go away. Thatís how I found basically the same noises youíre describing.
Yes the isolators were reinstalled. I'll give the individual bolts a try too. Thanks!

Any other ideas?
Unread 01-17-2014, 01:07 PM   #5
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Well since this all happened after the spacers were installed then I would trouble shoot it by going over everything that was missed with for the install. I hate squeaks with a passion; hope you find the offending part soon. Good luck.
Unread 01-17-2014, 02:56 PM   #6
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
I hate squeaks with a passion; hope you find the offending part soon. Good luck.
Yes, it is beginning to drive me nuckin' futs.
Unread 01-17-2014, 05:30 PM   #7
Remmy18
2012 JK Wrangler 

My lower shock mounts would loosen and rattle until I torqued the crap outta them. May not be your culprit but perhaps they loosened some and easy to check. Just a thought and good luck
Remmy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #8
jddausch
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy18 View Post
My lower shock mounts would loosen and rattle until I torqued the crap outta them. May not be your culprit but perhaps they loosened some and easy to check. Just a thought and good luck
Yeah, I'm going to loosen and retorque everything I touched during the install. Sway bar link bolts, shock bolts, and check all the others. Control arm bolts are done, and although it seems to drive better...the squeak is still there.

Going to spray some silicone lube on all th CA and sway bar bushings too.

I'll keep you posted, thanks for the advice so far.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.