Springs or evo sliders? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Springs or evo sliders?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! ORS Recovery RopePANDEMIC-USA 50" Double row LED LIGHT BAR!! These thi

Unread 01-27-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
deerslayer767
2009 JK Wrangler 

Springs or evo sliders?

I have enough money to pick up some new EVO sliders. But a buddy of mine just told me he has a set of metal cloak 2.5 dual rate springs. He wants $175 for all four. But if I buy that I can't get new sliders. What would you buy first. And if I get those spings what else would I have to add? Disco's, brake lines, adj track bars?

deerslayer767 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'd cast my vote for the springs!
You're bound to drag everything else under the Jeep if you keep it stock height. Sliders are great to protect the side of the Jeep, but don't prevent hang-ups.

You'll probably need the extended brake lines, longer sway bar links/disconnects, and certainly an adjustable track bar to keep everything centered.

Look for SLADE's response. He knows MetalCloak very well.
"Boing Clash Boom!" - Dada Life
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #3
deerslayer767
2009 JK Wrangler 

That's what I was thinking originally. But I have a 2" budget boost with 33" tires now. It would be a while before I could bump up to 35's. I do wheel and tore up my tube steps last time I was out. But I also bumped up my game on some harder trails in Elbe. So I'm kinda torn between a good deal on springs or getting some really good side protection. Hope this helps a bit seeing my dilemma.
Unread 01-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #4
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2015 JK Wrangler 

Another vote for springs, they are a much better value. Why not buy the springs, install them and then sell the budget boost to make up some of that money?
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2015, 11:59 PM   #5
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with getting the coils and starting on your suspension. Youll out grow your budget boost awful fast once you start adding the weight of sliders, bumpers, and armor.

Plus it's a darn good price on the coils. You gotta take advantage of the deals when your working on a budget. Metalcloak has 2dr and 4dr specific coils, so make sure they are the right coils for your Jeep.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer767 View Post
And if I get those spings what else would I have to add? Disco's, brake lines, adj track bars?

You'll be sitting right around 3" with Metalcloak 2.5" coils. Thats high enough to benefit from adj. Track bars and lower front control arms but it's also low enough to get by on the minimum. Brake lines will depend on your extended shock length and if your running disconects.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 01:16 AM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2015 JK Wrangler 

You might be able to just remove the brake line brackets and zip tie the front brake lines to the shock bodies. The rears you can fabricate a bracket extension pretty easy....just depends on how much slack you have.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #8
tchaap
2008 JK Wrangler 

OP
Do you wheel this thing? If so, I'll go against the others and say sliders. Lower tub protection is really important if you are going to actually wheel it.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerslayer767 View Post
That's what I was thinking originally. But I have a 2" budget boost with 33" tires now. It would be a while before I could bump up to 35's. I do wheel and tore up my tube steps last time I was out. But I also bumped up my game on some harder trails in Elbe. So I'm kinda torn between a good deal on springs or getting some really good side protection. Hope this helps a bit seeing my dilemma.
I somehow missed this post from you.

You already tore up tube steps. Evo sliders are some of the best out there. Put these on and you are set for rocker protection.

You can find springs for sale all the time.

Think about how pissed you would be if the next time you go out on your new 2.5" MC spings and catch a rock or a big tree stump/root in your rocker panel.
Unread 01-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #9
deerslayer767
2009 JK Wrangler 

See that's just it I do wheel it now. Need new steps/sliders. New sliders won't stop be from wheeling. If anything they will alow me to do more without the fear of banging up the side of my jeep. Yeah the springs are a awesome deal. But it would be a year before I need new tires to fill that gap of the new springs anyway. I think I'm going to go with the armor. Then that's done. They really think about the direction of the type of lift I want. Just hate to pass up a great deal on some stellar springs.
Unread 01-28-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
JeremyatKOR
WWW.KRAWLOFF-ROAD.COM
2008 JK Wrangler 

Evo makes some awesome sliders! They are on the top of my list for armor. It seems like you have made your mind up and realistically I would do the same thing. If you have just enough for the springs but nothing else you're kinds stuck spending money on something you can really use right away. I honestly think it would be better to get the armor and wheel it until you get the money together for the complete lift rather than just piecing it together.

Jeremy
JeremyatKOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #11
deerslayer767
2009 JK Wrangler 

I just want to say everyone on this forum that I have had interaction with have been awesome. You share your experiences so others have real world ideas on how something is going to look or work. Thank you guys for all the great input. I really do appreciate all of it.
Unread 01-28-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
deerslayer767
2009 JK Wrangler 

So I went the slider route. For now I can wheel with some satisfaction that I won't tear up the side of my rig and just take my time through the trails, until I can afford a complete lift.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.