Spring Compressors - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Spring Compressors

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Spring Compressors

Hey guys! I'm getting ready to install my 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, and I want to make it easy on myself by getting some spring compressors. I looked on Amazon but it seems everything I found is meant for Macpherson strut assemblies. Will that type work on plain old JK springs? Or is there a particular spring compressor y'all would recommend?

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
burnswhenip
2010 JK Wrangler 

No need for a spring compressor. When the axle drops the springs just fall out.
burnswhenip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
ncb

No real need for compressors. With everything disconnected the axle will drop far enough to get the springs in with minimal busted knuckles and cussing.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
Astennis1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Spring compressor = injuries. But to answer your question IMO that doesn't look like it will work
Astennis1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Alright, sounds good to me. I've never found it hard to get springs off... it's getting the new ones on that is difficult. But I hadn't considered the fact that replacing the lower control arms will give me just that much more droop to work with.

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Use a second floor jack one on each end of the axle. When installing the first spring jack one side enough to seat it, then that gives you room to install the other side. Getting the Jeep high up on jack stands helps so the axle can reach the floor. Disconnect the front driveline at the axle and keep an eye on your brakelines. Install the drop brackets or longer lines first to give yourself some extra drop.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 11:29 PM   #7
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Already been said, but just to reiterate - spring compressors are scary bastards, and not necessary for a 2.5" suspension. Remove the 10mm bolt that holds the brake line to the frame rail and you'll have plenty of slack.

4" springs can get to be a pain, but still don't need compressors, just a big pry bar.
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.