Sport to rubicon front axle swap question? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sport to rubicon front axle swap question?

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-24-2015, 07:16 AM   #1
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sport to rubicon front axle swap question?

So I found a 2010 rubicon front housing shafts and gears for a good price and was wondering if it would be a direct swap to my 2014 jk sport?
I would need to buy a locker/ carrier that's all that's missing I believe.
And I would need to regear my rear as well I know.

Sent from a jeeper

Digger838 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

yes, swaps right in. The housings are the same.
Unread 11-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Define "good price." You can buy a new complete Rubi axle for under $2k.

A locker for that axle will run about $800. If I recall, the ARB goes to 35 spline, so you'd need new shafts as well.
invest2m4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #4
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

The Rubi stock carrier is a pricey piece.. Carrier options are limited due to metric bearings in the D44. Remember, the D44 housing is exactly the same strength as the D30 housing. The only advantage of this swap is bigger axles and, ring and pinion. If you are looking for structural strength add a truss too the D44 before instal.
Unread 11-24-2015, 01:41 PM   #5
Digger838
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
The Rubi stock carrier is a pricey piece.. Carrier options are limited due to metric bearings in the D44. Remember, the D44 housing is exactly the same strength as the D30 housing. The only advantage of this swap is bigger axles and, ring and pinion. If you are looking for structural strength add a truss too the D44 before instal.
The housing with a master rebuild kit and a set of 4.88 ring and pinion for 575 OBO but it's still up in the air I just was t sure if the years were comparable

And I would just beef up my Dana 30 because I'm not really doing any hard core off roading but at the same time I still have a payment on it and in order to put new gears in I need to buy carriers/lockers anyway due to the fact that I have 3.21 gears.

Sent from a jeepers iPhone
Digger838 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2015, 10:16 PM   #6
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger838
The housing with a master rebuild kit and a set of 4.88 ring and pinion for 575 OBO but it's still up in the air I just was t sure if the years were comparable And I would just beef up my Dana 30 because I'm not really doing any hard core off roading but at the same time I still have a payment on it and in order to put new gears in I need to buy carriers/lockers anyway due to the fact that I have 3.21 gears. Sent from a jeepers iPhone
You will be looking at another $1500 at least for locker and axles to add to your $575 to get that all together. Now you are over $2k and no labor charges yet. I'm gonna say you will likely hit $2500 before it's in and running.
Unread 11-25-2015, 08:50 AM   #7
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest2m4 View Post
Define "good price." You can buy a new complete Rubi axle for under $2k.

A locker for that axle will run about $800. If I recall, the ARB goes to 35 spline, so you'd need new shafts as well.
Where do you see NEW complete Rubi axles for under $2k? That has me interested. I occasionally see used ones complete for around that but not any new ones unless you are referring to low miles pull offs as new. Which I do consider the motor I put in my jeep "new" since it was pulled out of a brand new 2011 jk with 22 miles on the ticker. Just curious.
Unread 11-25-2015, 08:56 AM   #8
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Where do you see NEW complete Rubi axles for under $2k? That has me interested. I occasionally see used ones complete for around that but not any new ones unless you are referring to low miles pull offs as new. Which I do consider the motor I put in my jeep "new" since it was pulled out of a brand new 2011 jk with 22 miles on the ticker. Just curious.
There was/is a place in OH that was selling them for around $1800, or for $2000 any gear ratio you wanted. Three people in my local club each picked one up and I know a number of people on the other forums that did as well. I installed two of them and they are legit. Not sure I can find the link again though. The price on Rubi axles has come down a lot. I just saw a used front selling for $1500 and it sat for weeks.
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

I no longer see the point of replacing a D30 with a D44 unless the D44 is either, aftermarket or trussed.

If the D30 is bent and busted, by all means upgrade but you best truss the D44. If you bent a D30 you will bend the D44 as well.
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #10
jwmbishop
Accidental Obfuscator

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
If you bent a D30 you will bend the D44 as well.
Lol.

Probably true - especially if the mechanically unsympathetic habits that bent the first one are repeated...
Unread 11-25-2015, 09:50 AM   #11
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Personally, if I bent a stock housing, I'd retube it with 1/2" wall and turn the Cs while I was at it. You have a PR44 housing for under $200. And obviously truss it too since it is cheap insurance.
Unread 11-26-2015, 08:01 PM   #12
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by invest2m4 View Post
Personally, if I bent a stock housing, I'd retube it with 1/2" wall and turn the Cs while I was at it. You have a PR44 housing for under $200. And obviously truss it too since it is cheap insurance.
That's what I did, works like a charm. It's a hell of a stout axle now.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #13
invest2m4
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
That's what I did, works like a charm. It's a hell of a stout axle now.
And Dynatrac will also sell the PR44 end forging. Apparently, it isn't too pricey either. Although, the stock one with gussets is just fine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.