speedo recal... dealer says it's impossible! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > speedo recal... dealer says it's impossible!

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 09-29-2014, 10:07 AM   #1
pwo
2015 JK Wrangler 

speedo recal... dealer says it's impossible!

So I purchased a new JEEP and immediately put wheels and tires on it along with a few other goodies... Anyway I made the salesman promise me a speedometer recalibration after the new wheels were installed (35x12.5x20). So brought it to the service department today and they said it was impossible for them to do it, even laughed at me for asking about it, that really pissed me off! Anyway any truth to this? Can it not be done at the dealership? Is everyone with a newer jeep and non factory tires running with improper speedometer and odometer readings?

pwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

aev procal is 160 bucks I think and you can program it yourself at home its easy most of the speedo recalc things LOCK to your vehicles VIN so you cant like buy one and recalculate 50 jeeps with it so that's why they probably don't have anything there to do it

http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/.../procal-module
Jodyblip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

The dealer can't (or won't) program for a tire bigger than the biggest available factory tire.
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
pwo
2015 JK Wrangler 

Ok, appreciate it. I still made them take it back and Cal it for the biggest factory wheel and tire combo. They didn't want to do that, but since they laughed in my face dangit they are going to do something! These people make me want to punch things!
pwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 10:53 AM   #5
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwo View Post
I still made them take it back and Cal it for the biggest factory wheel and tire combo. They didn't want to do that, but since they laughed in my face dangit they are going to do something!

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
Hittnthebz

I don't understand why they would laugh in your face over that. I can't "get" those guys sometimes, I've informed them of a few things they didn't know about and never laughed at them. I'm tired of the "all-knowing" dealers. End rant.

I will say that I'm pretty sure the only calibrations the dealer can do are "generic" meaning they are the exact same according to the software update code when issued by Chrysler.
Hittnthebz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Hittnthebz

Also, I'm curious if the speedo reading changed at all after they "calibrated it for the biggest size allowable".
Unread 09-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittnthebz View Post
Also, I'm curious if the speedo reading changed at all after they "calibrated it for the biggest size allowable".
it will still be wrong theres really only 2 tire sizes from jeep the tires on the 16 steel sport wheels is like 29 and everything else is like 32
Jodyblip is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 11:58 AM   #9
oconee offroad
Consulting Jeep Needs

1981 CJ7 

The aveage dealership should have the capabilities to do it! Sometimes it matters of talking to a sales guy vesus a service manager or a tech.
Hypertech has some great products out there to do exactly what you are wanting .....

http://www.hypertech-inc.com/

oconee off road

Visit our retail store & 8 Bay Install Shop!
ATHENS, GEORGIA 30606
THE BEST OFF ROAD SHOP IN THE CLASSIC CITY
We carry the Largest assortment of Jeep Restoration Parts and After Market Accessories from 1941-2015 at low prices!
WE PRICE MATCH COMPETITORS!!!!!

Call to Order 706-534-9955
9-6 M-F 10-1 Sat
We take all major credit cards and Paypal

Call or Visit our web site to order. Use JEEP10 Promo Code to save 10%
FREE SHIPPING ON WEBSITE ORDERS OVER $50
www.oconeeoffroad.com
Oconee Off-Road facebook photo page

Contact the owner of the company

oconee offroad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have never heard of a dealership not calibrating for larger tires, they usually charge $80-$100, but they do it.
When speaking with a service manager I've been told they are limited to steps (example: their system does not have a step above 35" tires with 3.21 gears. But who would want to do that anyway?)
A lot of dealers here sell AEV modified vehicles with 35" tires. They couldn't legally sell them with speedometers and odometers not reading correctly.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 01:51 PM   #11
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh but they do. People have posted here about it.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:28 PM   #12
Hittnthebz

I guess it all depends on the relationship you have with your dealer and the willingness of the service department to be flexible with the offroad community, then.

As far as the AEV vehicles go, isn't it possible that they include the AEV procal as one of the modifications anyhow?
Unread 09-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #13
Hittnthebz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodyblip View Post
it will still be wrong theres really only 2 tire sizes from jeep the tires on the 16 steel sport wheels is like 29 and everything else is like 32
I realize that but it is still possible that the speedo changed to be closer to the correct speed even if it is still wrong. That is what I had asked since I am sure the guy knows where it read before and probably would've looked to see if it changed the reading at all.
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #14
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwo View Post
So I purchased a new JEEP and immediately put wheels and tires on it along with a few other goodies... Anyway I made the salesman promise me a speedometer recalibration after the new wheels were installed (35x12.5x20). So brought it to the service department today and they said it was impossible for them to do it, even laughed at me for asking about it, that really pissed me off! Anyway any truth to this? Can it not be done at the dealership? Is everyone with a newer jeep and non factory tires running with improper speedometer and odometer readings?
Seeing as though you were either:
1) lied to by the sales guy to make the sale
2) had a run in with a sales guy who didnt know what he was talking about (which is all too common haha)

Demand that they make it right. This will require some sort of aftermarket programmer whether it be AEV's procal or Superchips Flashcal (or many others). Make them order it for you or reimburse your cost. After all, it is fixing something that they promised and could not deliver upon.

Then end of story.
TexanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #15
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

If it's not in writing, it's not happening.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.