Speed sensor vs alignment? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Speed sensor vs alignment?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-03-2014, 04:43 PM   #1
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

Speed sensor vs alignment?

I was driving on the highway last Saturday at about 80mph. I was on an on ramp making a left hand turn and hit a bump. Immediately after, my ABS and traction/stability control lights lit up. They have been on since then.

So far I have replaced the front driver's side hub bearing and sensor and I have checked the passenger front sensor. It looked good and clean. I haven't found any kinks or issues in the harness or around any of the wheels.

I have pulled the code U1418 which indicates improbable right wheel distance.

I do have larger tires than factory and the speedo hasn't been calibrated, but that hasn't caused me any issues for the 4k miles that I've driven since I bought the Jeep.

I do have a winch on the front which makes the front sit down lower than it used to be.

The brake pads look fine, but the e-brake is useless. I have taken the rear calipers and bearings out to inspect them, but they don't have any play in them.

I'm wondering if an alignment issue could be the cause? There are more driveline vibes than when I bought it. Does anyone have knowledge of alignment problems effecting the abs and esp system?

SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #2
14Sport
2014 JK Wrangler 

The only thing I've heard about not recalibrating for tire size is that it can cause the lights to come on during high speed turns, like exiting off ramps. I did not read that the lights stay on however, but they might.

It does sound like a speed sensor. But if you checked the sensors, and the connectors, and the wires for breaks, then I'm not sure what else it could be. Good luck and post what you find for the next guy.

I jeep therefore I am.
14Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

said right hand side for the code. why replace the LH and check the rH how did you check it?? The wheel speed sensor is in the unit bearing assembly. sounds like you have the same issue.

if you clear the code will it return? most codes related to lift would be if the steering wheel is off center or damaged wire from not having it long enough for the lift, if your steering wheel is off it will abs code. if yours is off center, the steering wheel should be set right. you should get the jeep to read the tire size too. Procal or other brand.

getting a alignment wont fix this. all they can adjust is toe. to adjust anything else you need change things(parts; cambolts= bad way to fix caster angle on a Jeep. to adjustable arms $$$. or Camber changes you need upper ball joints$$$. So on JK all they can easily change is toe and that you can check.
Unread 10-05-2014, 08:17 PM   #4
SuperDave94
2011 JK Wrangler 

I replaced the left hand/drivers side unit bearing and sensor because on inspection I noticed it had play in it. After that didn't fix the light on the dash, I looked up how to pull the codes. After having the code, I removed the passenger side unit bearing and removed the sensor. It was clean, well greased and the O-ring was still doing it's job. I've not taken the rear sensors out, but they are still in place and none of the wiring looks damaged.

Also, the suspension is all stock.
SuperDave94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.