Speaker Upgrades - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Speaker Upgrades

Black Friday- Cyber Monday Deals at jeepHutBlack Friday Deals !JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!

Unread 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #1
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Speaker Upgrades

If I put aftermarket speakers in, will my system sound better? I beleive its amped since I have the subwoofer and sound bar. I was wondering if I put some better speakers in it, will it be more clear and maybe a little louder. I dont want to blow any speakers but I listen to music really loud. Thanks

Wranglin4Life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
D_ROY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

the stock speakers that came with my jeep sound great. i listen to my music extremely loud and have never blown them out. i recently replaced mine to see if they sound better but i hear no change. also i had to splice the wires as the stock ones come with a connector. i think its a better investment to upgrade the head-unit
D_ROY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_ROY View Post
the stock speakers that came with my jeep sound great. i listen to my music extremely loud and have never blown them out. i recently replaced mine to see if they sound better but i hear no change. also i had to splice the wires as the stock ones come with a connector. i think its a better investment to upgrade the head-unit
The only problem with that is it draws more attention to steal it. I ride around with my top off and doors off as much as I can and dont want people messing with my ride.

Edit: What speakers did you put in?
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
TheShift
2010 JK Wrangler 

Replace the head unit....

and get one the face plate comes off... can't steal what they can't get

TheShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me the speaker sizes? I am googling it but I seem to be getting different sizes everywhere. Some say 6x9, some say 5 1/4 and some say 6.5... wtf?
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:28 PM   #6
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

I believe they are 6.5" round speakers. The stock head units pretty much blows, if you get new speakers make sure they dont draw much current, like the cheap walmart brand would work ok. Just dont get any expensive speakers such as pulk as they need a amp to bring out there full potential. Its sooo much better to just replace the head unit and get some decent speakers like sony or infinity...Aftermarket headunits have RCA outs so its much easier to upgrade to amps in the future as well.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well there is a factory amp powering the factory speakers if I am correct?
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
D_ROY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

mine is a nice kenwood with detachable faceplate. tho ive had the top and doors off without taking it off and no ones messed with it. depends on where you live too
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #9
Warlord2
2007 JK Wrangler 

the factory amp only powers the sub if you got that with your package. I believe the amp is built into the sub.
07 JK 2D X model with 6 speeds. Full Traction 3" ultimate lift kit. 315x75x16 Toyo Open Country M/T on Rock crawler procomp rim. Ruby dana44's front sleeved inside/outside C truss and rear with 5.13's gears. Homemade rock guards, rear bumper w/tire carrier, oilpan/tranny skid, evap canister skid, light bar, switch pod. Riddler diff covers, Cobra 75 w/wilson antenna, Polk speakers, 10" sub, 2x Amps, Lightforce 240 drive light, backup lights, rock lights.
Warlord2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #10
D_ROY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i have a 2000 tj and my soundbar speakers are 5 1/4". idk if the year makes much of a differance, but thats what i have
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:52 PM   #11
BeerGut

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_ROY View Post
mine is a nice kenwood with detachable faceplate. tho ive had the top and doors off without taking it off and no ones messed with it. depends on where you live too
These guys don't know what they are talking about. The factory speakers that come with your Jeep sound terrible unless it came with the Infinity system.

If not, then you need to upgrade. The head unit that comes with the Jeep has decent sound and decent power for a system without an exra amp. I believe that the size for the dash speakers are 5-1/4 and the sound bar is the same. There might be a few 6-1/2 speakers that will fit. The best thing to do is use the Crutchfield "what fits" selector below to determine what fits correctly.

Crutchfield also includes free adapters so that you don't have to cut or soder any wires. Just plug them right in to the factory plugs.

Personally I like Kicker, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Infinity speakers.

Stay away from anything Sony they are pretty much the worse speakers made as well as head units.

Also, forget the radio and CD player. You can use bracketron bracket to mount a proclip cell phone holder onto it to hold your phone near the dash. Use the iPhone with the aux jack and play Pandora, Slacker and XM Radio. Also, you can add a GPS program to the iPhone and flip it sideways for road info. If you do decide to get a new head unit, Pioneer is the leader in the field right now. Make sure you get an alarm and get the ones with the USB jack. My 2 cents.

Car Selector
BeerGut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
D_ROY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

i remember my stock speakers sounding pretty good after i got a good head unit. thats what i would get before speakers. why have great speakers with sh!tty delivery?
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #13
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlord2 View Post
the factory amp only powers the sub if you got that with your package. I believe the amp is built into the sub.
Oh i see. Well, I guess I have to say the factory speakers sound awesome for not being amped. LOL
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #14
Wranglin4Life
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGut View Post
These guys don't know what they are talking about. The factory speakers that come with your Jeep sound terrible unless it came with the Infinity system.

If not, then you need to upgrade. The head unit that comes with the Jeep has decent sound and decent power for a system without an exra amp. I believe that the size for the dash speakers are 5-1/4 and the sound bar is the same. There might be a few 6-1/2 speakers that will fit. The best thing to do is use the Crutchfield "what fits" selector below to determine what fits correctly.

Crutchfield also includes free adapters so that you don't have to cut or soder any wires. Just plug them right in to the factory plugs.

Personally I like Kicker, Pioneer, Kenwood, and Infinity speakers.

Stay away from anything Sony they are pretty much the worse speakers made as well as head units.

Also, forget the radio and CD player. You can use bracketron bracket to mount a proclip cell phone holder onto it to hold your phone near the dash. Use the iPhone with the aux jack and play Pandora, Slacker and XM Radio. Also, you can add a GPS program to the iPhone and flip it sideways for road info. If you do decide to get a new head unit, Pioneer is the leader in the field right now. Make sure you get an alarm and get the ones with the USB jack. My 2 cents.

Car Selector
So mine has an infinity sub but might not have the whole infinity sound system? How would I be sure?
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Notext
2010 JK Wrangler 

Not sure you can get the infinity sub without the rest. I went stock stereo from dealer and then put an alpine pdx5 amp that fits under the steering wheel where the infinity one goes. Put in 4 new jl audio speakers and a 10" jl sub. The pdx 5 makes it just loud enough that you can hear it fine going down the highway with the top/doors off which is all I was looking for.
Notext is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
JK Wrangler , sound system , speaker , speaker replacements , speaker size , stereo , upgrade , wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.