speaker upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > speaker upgrade

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #1
joejeep4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

speaker upgrade

Do JK Sports have the wiring to hook up the Stock Infinity aftermarket sub? Like a Plug and Play option?

joejeep4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

No, you'll need the wiring harness and the amp to power it. The amp would be located behind the panel under the steering wheel.

Most have found it cheaper to go with an aftermarket head unit , amp, and sub. The sound quality and adjustabilty would be far better than factory as well.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
RogueStatus
2013 JK Wrangler 

sports (unless they have the upgraded infinity stereo, or alpine if its new) do not have any factory subwoofer wiring like ^ said . Even if it did, the stock amp is not near strong enough or capable of powering an aftermarket sub. The stock one barely pushes at all in my sahara (factory alpine).

Best bet is to again do what ^ said and do aftermarket stuff. I plan on ditching the factory sub and installing an aftermarket amp/sub/wiring kit do get more out of it.
Unread 08-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #4
Breitling
2013 JK Wrangler 

I am thinking of making some basic upgrade on my Sport S too, stock sounds horrible.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Namtaru
2013 JK Wrangler 

Step 1) Go to your Jeep dealership
Step 2) Order two pairs of part number 5081670AB
Step 3) Install
Step 4) Enjoy

They are plug and play, factory, Boston Acoustics and they sound amazing on the stock system even with no amplifier.

Namtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
joejeep4
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the advise... I've read a lot that just getting a system installed would be best... That's what I'd like to do, just looking for a simple option as well... Like the Boston speakers that could work!
joejeep4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #7
Namtaru
2013 JK Wrangler 

A "system" could mean a lot of things, but one thing of note is the Boston Acoustics are a MUCH higher quality speaker that can take more power than the stock HU can provide.

What I mean by that is, if you put them in , and then decide to also replace the HU and/or add an amplifier, you could still keep the BA's as they are far superior than the stockers.

They are only about $130 to replace all four speakers.

Unread 09-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #8
JoeBIII
2014 JK Wrangler 

I received my upgrade speakers yesterday and installed them (added poly fill at the same time while I had them out). I only detect a marginal improvement - at best. I have the premium Alpine system in my '14. I guess the Alpine factory speakers are better than the Infinitys offered in the prior years (which could be why so many other posters are recognizing better results).

Still disappointed with the sound.
JoeBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
rpost215

Every vehicle I have had over the last few years I have put full blown systems in. I just bought a '13 unlimited Sport with the 'base' alpine system and plan to full upgrade to an aftermarket system. In my experience, JL Audio has served me well over the years in both amplifiers and speakers.

In my last vehicle ('07 F250 Crew) I had Boston Acoustic 3 way separates in the front as the primary sound delivery and JL 2 way 6x9's in the back for filler. I also had a JL Stealth Box 10" us and all of it was powered by a JL 5 channel sub. 150w per speaker channel and 500w for the sub. Lastly I had a Kenwood Nav/receiver.

I like the Boston Acoustic upgrade idea and will look I to those speakers to see what they are rated at. The trick is to match the component's output so you get the best quality sound. It doesn't take a ton of power to get great sound you just have to see that your amp and speakers are matched...
rpost215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Namtaru
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpost215 View Post
I just bought a '13 unlimited Sport with the 'base' alpine system and plan to full upgrade to an aftermarket system.
Just to clear up that statement, there is no "base" Alpine system. You either have the Alpine system, or you don't, in which case would be the actual base system with no amplifier or subwoofer.
Unread 09-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
Namtaru
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBIII View Post
I received my upgrade speakers yesterday and installed them (added poly fill at the same time while I had them out). I only detect a marginal improvement - at best. I have the premium Alpine system in my '14. I guess the Alpine factory speakers are better than the Infinitys offered in the prior years (which could be why so many other posters are recognizing better results).

Still disappointed with the sound.
Which speakers did you purchase?

OP was asking about upgrading a base audio jeep, not one with the upgraded audio.
Unread 09-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #12
JoeBIII
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtaru

Which speakers did you purchase?

OP was asking about upgrading a base audio jeep, not one with the upgraded audio.
I got 2 pair of the 6.5" kickers off of eBay. I don't notice a justifiable improvement over the alpine premium system in the '14 JKs.
JoeBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2013, 12:57 PM   #13
roadrat

I should have done this.
roadrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.