Speaker upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Speaker upgrade

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #1
Mental1
2013 JK Wrangler 

Speaker upgrade

Hello, I'm new to the forum and am not sure if this has been answered already.

But I have 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited freedom edition (Oscar mike package).

I love it, but the sound system is terrible. I had a commander before that kind of spoiled me with its sound system.

Can anyone recommend a speaker upgrade so my music sounds at least decent. Currently if I turn the volume up to loud it sounds like speakers will blow!

Thanks...

Mental1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #2
MudDuck99
2014 JK Wrangler 

ive always been a fan of Memphis speakers. you could replace the dash and soundbar speakers and maybe add a 10" sub. are you looking for quality sound or powerful? both?
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

Speaker upgrade will get you most of the way there (I did this on my 09 but have yet to on my 13) - I only replaced the soundbar but you can replace the dash speakers (tweeters may be a challenge) - mine both had built in 8" sub which I found to be OK but if you can spare the room, as mudduck say try a 10" -

I search Crutchfield and they will show you what fits, but sometimes other places have better prices...
SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
41jeep41
2010 JK Wrangler 

I installed Polk Audio speakers from crutchfield in the soundbar and dash on my JK, also took poly-fill and stuffed the soundbar made a HUGE difference. There are plenty of write-ups on the installations if you search for them, the front speakers are a PITA to get out and back in just FYI.
41jeep41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
sizmtrz
2012 JK Wrangler 

look into the Mopar/Kicker Stage 3 upgrade through your dealership. Heard good things (no pun intended)

"Ritalin...so much easier than parenting!"

"Castro retires! One less nation to illegally make war with as to install a US friendly government! WOO HOO"
sizmtrz is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:47 AM   #6
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

I found a improvement in just replacing the front speakers with the Mopar Kicker ones,
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
MountainMan864
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How is it that bad? My stock 99 TJ stereo gets compliments all the time lol.
MountainMan864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
justin credible
2012 JK Wrangler 

What kind of music do you all listen to?

I listen to a lot of older stuff (50s - 70s) and pretty much no rap/hip hop and little R&B, and find the stock stereo is ok, not great but not bad.
The old stuff was made to be heard on vinyl, so maybe that's why I don't notice how bad the speakers are.
justin credible is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #9
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

I was always told the sound degrades as the speakers get under driven due to the factory head unit not having the power to drive them. Maybe ad an amp and speakers?
screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
goldenglory18
2011 JK Wrangler 

Besides my amp recently crapping out on me (unavoidable) I really like what I put in my '11 Unlimited.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/n...tereo-1227580/
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #11
WolfgangGullich
2010 JK Wrangler 

I put Polk db series speakers in my '10 JKU and poly-filled the front speaker enclosures and the sound bar. The improvement was incredible. Great highs and mids, with decent bass response...and db series speakers are made to deal with moisture...in case you decide to get your interior all wet
Unread 03-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Get a good set of marine stuff. Blow the current ones and it gives you a excuse.

I have the 10 JKU sahara with 7 speaker and it sounds great! Even with doors and top off. Full bass and all. Maybe the mids are muffled a little but great deep sound. I turned my bass to -4 it was too much.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #13
Wrigley
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mental1 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forum and am not sure if this has been answered already.

But I have 2013 jeep wrangler unlimited freedom edition (Oscar mike package).

I love it, but the sound system is terrible. I had a commander before that kind of spoiled me with its sound system.

Can anyone recommend a speaker upgrade so my music sounds at least decent. Currently if I turn the volume up to loud it sounds like speakers will blow!

Thanks...
Does anyone know the specs, or where I might beable to get them, for the NON Alpine sound system in the 2013 Wrangler?

Thanks
Mike
Wrigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #14
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

If you look up your vehicle on certain websites they have an option where you enter your vehicle info and it will break down each speaker spec.

I can't remember but the speaker sizes are weird. At least the dash ones. And tweeters are a pain apparently.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #15
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin credible
What kind of music do you all listen to?

I listen to a lot of older stuff (50s - 70s) and pretty much no rap/hip hop and little R&B, and find the stock stereo is ok, not great but not bad.
The old stuff was made to be heard on vinyl, so maybe that's why I don't notice how bad the speakers are.
Probably because the terrible audio quality bad then is about equal to what the stock stereo puts out.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.